Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my new 2015 Durango came stock with passive entry. The dodge dealer installed a Mopar command start and gave me my vehicle back with 2 new passive entry keys with the new start button on it, however my wife and I can't get the passive entry to work on the drivers door now. The end hate and passenger side work just fine. The service guy says they didn't do anything wrong and don't know why it doesn't work. Everything worked fine when we took it in and now it doesn't. It's a brand new vehicle bought 3 months ago. The service guys solution is to replace the door handle. I am a mechanic of 15 years for Dodge but that was 10 years ago. I'm not up to par with the new technology. I think this service guy is an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about. Can anyone else give me a solution to my problem without replacing the door handle cause my mind is telling me it's a computer problem and not the handle, because it worked perfectly fine when I took it in. Please get back to me with some tips or tricks I can try to resolve this issue. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Did you pay for the door handle and remote start with credit card or was it built into the loan ?

·
Super Moderator
12,824 Posts
There is a 'sensor' in the door handle, and that could indeed be the problem.. but more likely there is a connector that came loose during the install.

At any rate, it is a warranty fix, no?

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Its under Warranty tell them to fix it or go to another dealer
My guess as Tom said they left something disconnected underdash feeding that door
STEVE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the reply. It is still under warranty. The vehicle is 3 months old. What gets me, is the service manager states he didn't do it which is complete BS. Everything worked fine before taking it to him. The service manager is 33 years old and just wants to throw away the door handle and replace it(something wrong with that generation with wasting things). Is this not just a computer malfunction? I don't see a hardware change doing anything.

·
Super Moderator
12,824 Posts
One would think that, given that it is a hard failure, they could jack in the WiTech and run thru the diagnosis procedure rather than throw parts at it.

What they are trying to do is make it be a part failure (which FCA pays for) and not their screwup (which FCA does not pay for).

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
BINGO^^^^
And then they tear into your D again and probably screw something else up
If I am not mistaken the remote start add on is really straight forward
STEVE

·
Registered
928 Posts
BINGO^^^^
And then they tear into your D again and probably screw something else up
If I am not mistaken the remote start add on is really straight forward
STEVE
Yes it is, I had it added to my 2014 and they even told me before hand that it was a fairly simple task for them. It does take a few hours to run all the wires etc, but wasn't difficult.

Also as a side note, make sure they gave you back the 2 original key fobs without the starter buttons. They will still work for your car. They wont control the remote start obviously, but they are yours and you paid for them. My dealer tried to keep them saying they were useless etc and I've heard of other dealers doing the same. I'm thinking somewhere is just trying to make a quick buck by selling them online for cheap, especially when they looked brand new, they could have put them in the baggy the other ones came in and sold them online as new to someone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it is, I had it added to my 2014 and they even told me before hand that it was a fairly simple task for them. It does take a few hours to run all the wires etc, but wasn't difficult.

Also as a side note, make sure they gave you back the 2 original key fobs without the starter buttons. They will still work for your car. They wont control the remote start obviously, but they are yours and you paid for them. My dealer tried to keep them saying they were useless etc and I've heard of other dealers doing the same. I'm thinking somewhere is just trying to make a quick buck by selling them online for cheap, especially when they looked brand new, they could have put them in the baggy the other ones came in and sold them online as new to someone.
That's exactly what they did. He said he threw it away. I told him that, that's my money you just through in the garbage and he came up with a bunch of excuses why it was useless and they didn't work. Thank goodness I only gave him one of the old fobs or he would have threw them both away. The funny part of all this guys is my father is a partner at this dealership and can't fire the service manager because his other partner has a thing for the guy. Personally I think he caught him with his hand in the cookie jar.

·
Registered
928 Posts
That's exactly what they did. He said he threw it away. I told him that, that's my money you just through in the garbage and he came up with a bunch of excuses why it was useless and they didn't work. Thank goodness I only gave him one of the old fobs or he would have threw them both away. The funny part of all this guys is my father is a partner at this dealership and can't fire the service manager because his other partner has a thing for the guy. Personally I think he caught him with his hand in the cookie jar.

I would demand that they replace it. It was three months old, I would demand they replace it with another brand new one, or to subtract that amount from the total of having the remote start added. otherwise you'll file a complaint. I would not be happy if I were in your shoes and I would certainly let them know it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts