Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Durango Citadel 6 cylinder

I'm thinking my passenger side low beam bulb needs to be replaced. Sometimes, not always, it will flash like a strobe light for seconds or up to a minute when I start the car. It finally stops flashing but then goes a weird orange or pink color. I stopped by the local auto parts store to replace it, but they didn't think it was burned out and that a new one would be close to $100, since he thought it was an HID model headlight.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior? Is it just a bulb on it's way out? I don't have any notification that the bulb has burned out and it still shines, just a different color than the driver side. Are these bulbs the expensive HID variety? Should I just go ahead an replace it or could it be something else that's causing it to flake out?

Many thanks,
pAK.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sounds like a bad ballast to me

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
2011 Durango Citadel 6 cylinder

I'm thinking my passenger side low beam bulb needs to be replaced. Sometimes, not always, it will flash like a strobe light for seconds or up to a minute when I start the car. It finally stops flashing but then goes a weird orange or pink color. I stopped by the local auto parts store to replace it, but they didn't think it was burned out and that a new one would be close to $100, since he thought it was an HID model headlight.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior? Is it just a bulb on it's way out? I don't have any notification that the bulb has burned out and it still shines, just a different color than the driver side. Are these bulbs the expensive HID variety? Should I just go ahead an replace it or could it be something else that's causing it to flake out?

Many thanks,
pAK.
Yes you have HID bulbs, and yes it's time to replace them. You MUST replace them in pairs also, because if you change just one it'll be a different color from the other one.

As an HID bulb ages it gets dimmer and changes to a bluer color. After a few thousand hours they'll actually be dimmer than a halogen bulb. Eventually it'll start turning a crazy pink/orange color like yours. Then it's time to replace both because the other side isn't far behind.

You need D1S HID bulbs. Morimoto makes some good aftermarket ones, but you can't beat OEM. Yes, OEM grade ones are $100 each compared to Morimoto's $35'ish each, but trust me they're worth it. The retrofit source sells them and is a legitimate place. And you want to make sure you get legit bulbs, some cheap knockoffs can actually burn the reflective coating off the inside of your $750 a piece headlight assemblies.

If you want OEM color the OSRAM nightbreakers will amaze you, they're awesome. If you want a whiter color the osram CBI or CBH bulbs are what you want.

My truck had the original factory installed bulbs, from 2011, and they were so blue and dim I thought they sucked. I replaced them with OSRAM CBI bulbs and was blown away by how much brighter they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Skippy426! I'll be replacing them both then. I like the idea of something very bright and white so I'll give your suggestion of the osram CBI's a try.

Did you happen to get either of these?

https://www.amazon.com/D1S-Osram-Xenarc-66144CBI-Bulbs/dp/B00C7DAUFS/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1482375211&sr=1-6&keywords=osram+D1S

https://www.amazon.com/Osram-66140CBI-Xenarc-CBI-Light/dp/B003VNFEKO/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1482375211&sr=1-3&keywords=osram+D1S

Thanks again,
pAK.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Random output shot of them, picture doesn't do it justice at all

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
May not do it credit, but dang, that does look nice though! I'm going through with the order from TheRetroFitStore.com https://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/bulbs/d1s-osram-xenarc-66144-cbi.html

The link I posted from Amazon above had a few reviewers mention that they weren't actually 66144's, but rather 66140's.
The 66140 is the normal 4300k OEM bulb. They're also super easy to replace though, go up through the wheel well, pop the dust cover off, unplug the light which may be a little tight, then there's a black locking ring you unlock and pull the bulb straight out. I may still have the pictures of that, I can post them up if you want

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was hoping it would be similar to the process in this Youtube video -->
but if it is different than that and you still had the pictures that would be great. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Yeah that's more for the turn signal bulbs. I'll take a video if you need it, my pictures aren't very good but I'll try my best to explain it.

1. Park somewhere dry, you'll need to get down on the ground to do it. Also, make sure you turn the headlight switch to "off" and they won't turn on if someone unlocks it, you don't accidentally want them coming on. I have the lights with locks feature off anyway.

2. Pick a side to start on, and crank the steering wheel all the way over for easier access, so if you start on the driver side turn the wheel to the right.

3. Look up into the wheel well, there will be a plastic looking cap in it. Turn that till it feels easier to turn then pull it out. It'll be a little snug but you won't hurt anything.

4. Remove this rubber cap, it just pulls straight off. It may be a little "stuck" with age, again you won't hurt anything.

5. Unplug the light. It may be really stuck on there, mine was. Some side to side wiggling while pulling straight down got it though. I circled it in green.

6. Unlock the light. It only turns about a quarter of the way, then the light will pull right out. Circled the locking tab as well.

7. When you go to put the light back in make sure you get it all the way in all the little metal fingers, otherwise your output will be awful.. learned that the hard way. Lock it back down, plug it in, replace dust cover, then the other side. Actually pretty easy, took me like 30 minutes the first time, now I can do it in like 10 minutes max.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts