Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shortly after I came to realize just how much I liked my 2002 Durango SLT Plus, which I bought about 14 months ago, it was in an accident and insurance called it totalled. I looked for used ones I could afford with the insurance payoff, but didn't find one as good as what I had. I ended up buying an 03 Dakota. I kept the Durango for just $200, thinking I could sell things like the third row seat, transmission, and other good parts.

But now that I have a Dakota, I am thinking I may want to keep some of these parts just in case.

My question is: how many parts from the 02 Durango, with a 5.9, will work on the 03 Dakota with a 4.7? Both are 4-wheel drive and similarly equipped? Will the transmission fit on my 4.7? I would hate to sell something and end up needing it, but i can also use the funds from selling items I don't need.

Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Super Moderator
12,866 Posts
I don't know in general, but the transmission definitely won't.. not because it's a Dak, but because the 4.7 and the 5.9 take different transmissions..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know if I can take the compass/temperature sensor/mileage display from above the mirror on the Durango and install it on the Dakota, which did not have that option? One mechanic has told me it plugs into the side of the computer box and should work fine provided it is all hooked up properly, but I would like to hear from someone who has done or tried to do it before I take it all apart.

·
Administrator
8,067 Posts
You'll need to review smog regulations in your area regarding putting in a system built to older specifications regarding emissions. You also may run into wiring problems in the engine compartment and the tcm won't work with the 5.9's 46re trans more than likely. Since the 2 engines make almost the same power why do the change? You also have a better trans with the 4.7.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you missed something. I am not wanting to swap, just wanting to keep parts that will swap in case I need them and I asked if the compass/temp display/fuel economy display that I had in my Durango will work if I take it out of the wrecked Durango and put it in the Dakota. I definitely have no desire to remove the 4.7 and put the 5.9 in its place.

·
Administrator
8,067 Posts
You did ask if the trans would work and to do that the other swaps would have been necessary, sorry for the miscue but it seemed info was needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts