Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we’re going to be ordering a new Durango, and I’m curious about quality control during these weird times. We’re familiar with the anecdote about never buying a car built on a Friday, but what about during a global pandemic? Are they just running reduced shift length, or how are they managing things at the factory?

2020 Durango Citadel AWD, 3.6

·
Registered
Dodge Durango GT 2017
15 Posts
This might be a stupid question but how do you know if the car was built on a Friday or probably on a Monday too?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This might be a stupid question but how do you know if the car was built on a Friday or probably on a Monday too?
You really don’t. It’s more of an aphorism.

But I wonder what the impact of the pandemic has been on the assembly process. Seems production of 21s is delayed and slower, which makes sense, but are they having fewer people on the line do more than they normally would, or just running shorter shifts and cycling the workforce through more frequently? For example, if you’re used to doing dashboard installation, now you’re doing dashboards and one or two other things, I could see the potential for issues with QA there.

·
Registered
Dodge Durango GT 2017
15 Posts
You really don’t. It’s more of an aphorism.

But I wonder what the impact of the pandemic has been on the assembly process. Seems production of 21s is delayed and slower, which makes sense, but are they having fewer people on the line do more than they normally would, or just running shorter shifts and cycling the workforce through more frequently? For example, if you’re used to doing dashboard installation, now you’re doing dashboards and one or two other things, I could see the potential for issues with QA there.

To tell u the truth it depends on the company I work for a pretty big food manufacturer and they say to stay 6 feet apart and things like that but 90% of the time we work side by side!
So if the car manufacturer needs a certain amount of cars to go out the door then they will have the same staff just maybe put up some screen in between the workers and they will have a full crew!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Interesting question. The 21 RT I ordered was built at 6 AM on Friday the 13th. It says so on the build sheet. Now in regards to when a vehicle is built having an effect on quality control, well that’s a crapshoot.
7 day production, 24 hours a day, kind of changes the old adage of ”Built on a Friday”. From what I have read, there are actually more workers on the line at Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit, as they are training for the new Mack Avenue Plant, where the new GC’s will be built. Maybe good, maybe great, maybe time will tell if the rookie forgot something. The main reason production appears to be slower, is the supply chain has hurt the assembly lines efficiency. Lack of Brembos, was a reason apparently for the delay in the Tow n go versions. I would be more concerned about buying a DD or GC built the day after a Detroit Lions game if they lost. 🤔

1 - 6 of 6 Posts