Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Durango G/T 3.6L AWD 8 speed automatic

Today while driving home my transmission started to shift funny. Later the engine light came on. The scanner gave a P0716 code. Now the transmission is either slipping or something. It will barely take off. The only thing I can find online about the code is that it is the input speed sensor. Looking at rockauto and other autoparts stores online does not come up with any input speed sensor to replace. I haven't been able to come up with any information online for troubleshooting.

Can anyone help out with recommendations or troubleshooting?

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
137 Posts
Might just be a bad input shaft speed sensor.

Use this link to access the online chilton manual to help you diagnose.

P0716-00-INPUT SHAFT SPEED SENSOR 1 PERFORMANCE
P0716-00-INPUT SHAFT SPEED SENSOR 1 PERFORMANCE
Theory of Operation
The Transmission Control Module (TCM) can detect rationality failures of the Input (Turbine) Speed Sensor and Output Speed Sensor signals as well as the wheel speed and engine speed signals received through the Controller Area Network (CAN).
The TCM performs three diagnostic checks that include:
  • Multi sensor comparisons of up to three speed signals (input, output and wheel speed).
  • Monitoring of the gradient of the input speed signal.
  • Double failure monitoring to determine unique failure situations which could require unique limp-in functionality.

When Monitored and Set Conditions
When Monitored:

This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:
  • No Input or Output Speed Sensor supply voltage Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) set.
  • No Speed Sensor signal DTCs set.
  • No Engine Speed or Wheel Speed Controller Area Network (CAN) signal DTCs set.
  • The calculated Input Speed is above a calibrated value.
  • The Output Speed is above a calibrated value.

Set Conditions:
  • The difference between the input speed measured by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and both of the following signals are greater than a calibrated value for a calibrated amount of time:
    • The calculated input speed from the wheel speed signal from the CAN.
    • The calculated input speed from the output speed measured by the TCM.

Default Actions:
  • Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is illuminated on the first trip that the diagnostic fails.
  • The TCM will not request any positive torque interventions from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) via CAN.
  • The TCM will limit the current to the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Solenoid to 50mA. The TCC will be open.
  • Maximum system hydraulic pressure will be limited.
  • Special shifting modes (Sport Mode, Winter Mode, Manual Mode, etc.,) will be disabled.
  • Start/Stop feature, if equipped, will be disabled.

Possible Causes
TRANSMISSION INTERNAL FAILURE
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From my research, the input speed sensor is built in to the tcm located on the valve body. It also appears that you can’t replace this part by itself. Dodge will only sell you a complete tcma which is the valve body and tcm as a unit for about $1000. It also appears that the vehicle will not start until the tcm is reprogrammed.

Since I am getting the P0716 code it makes me wonder if I have a real problem with transmission as the P0717 I believe is for a faulted sensor where P0716 is performance based.

I’m not sure what to do next as a used transmission is only a few hundred more. I believe the transmission would still have to be reprogrammed unless I reused the existing tcm that could possible have a bad speed sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts