Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a 2015 Durango v6 92k miles changed out a thermostat last year and all of a sudden(no warning) I overheated. Checked thermostat for flow using the patented squeeze the input and output should move as well. Never had any other problems before just this. Need some help here????

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
J:
Welcome to DDN. What prompted the thermostat change? Your oem coolant is good for 10 yrs/150K miles. Was there an overheating event then?
When does it overheat? All the time, at idle only, or only moving down the road?

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
J:
Welcome to DDN. What prompted the thermostat change? Your oem coolant is good for 10 yrs/150K miles. Was there an overheating event then?
When does it overheat? All the time, at idle only, or only moving down the road?

Don
A legit bad thermostat caused the change of it. Temp got high while the wife was driving to her friends house.
It overheats at idle and while running down the road

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am leaning towards the thermo sensor rather than a clog in the radiator or water pump not working. Due to the fact that the temp gauge will increase then decrease only to jump back up high. Yes I am also likely going to replace the thermostat as well. But I will test it in the oven before I actually replace it

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
The 3.6 cooling system as you may know can be a challenge to get the air out of. Overheating at idle can be trapped air, low coolant, or the new(er) T stat bad again. If it does not overheat rolling down the road, those issues would not be as likely.

I like oem when it comes to things like fuel pumps, T stats, etc. They may cost a bit more, but the quality is usually better.

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 3.6 cooling system as you may know can be a challenge to get the air out of. Overheating at idle can be trapped air, low coolant, or the new(er) T stat bad again. If it does not overheat rolling down the road, those issues would not be as likely.

I like oem when it comes to things like fuel pumps, T stats, etc. They may cost a bit more, but the quality is usually better.

Don
On the way to get new t Stat and bleed air and add coolant if that doesn't work changing the sensor then pump last option

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good question. Will a bad sensor still relay accurate temp to gauge? I know it has the chance of not allowing to start
Well changed the t Stat bled system added coolant stays between mid mark and low mark on temp without ac on drops a little with ac running. 30 minutes idle no high temp 30 minutes running highway 55 no high temp

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Sounds like your new t stat had gone belly up, or you had some air in there. Did you go back in with the proper purple coolant?
Your issue with the afternmarket T stat is exactly why I go oem. They can fail also, but so far I have had good luck with them.

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like your new t stat had gone belly up, or you had some air in there. Did you go back in with the proper purple coolant?
Your issue with the afternmarket T stat is exactly why I go oem. They can fail also, but so far I have had good luck with them.

Don
No i had orange coolant in mine went back with same orange coolant don't recall the name premixed 50/50 with extra corrosive resistance

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No im not im the second owner unfortunately. I hate it but at the time this was the best answer. It is my second durango and am looking forward to getting my 3rd one once I pay this one off.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,047 Posts
2014+ should be Mopar Purple OAT coolant.

·
Registered
133 Posts
2014+ should be Mopar Purple OAT coolant.
Had my water pump warranteed out just recently, 2015 5.7, and I gotta check my coolant color. I want to say it’s orange, at least that’s what it was before. I remember looking under the radiator cap thinking, wow the coolant has the same tint as rust...Looks like my dealer added orange back in, instead of purging for all purple

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,047 Posts
I'd say just be aware of what's in there currently and what you're adding. I doubt the Orange stuff will kill your engine anytime soon but maybe think about going Purple at the next Maintenance Interval? And if it's the dealer ask why they didn't use the proper coolant.

Possibly something's changed as far as their specification but more likely that dealer just stuck the Orange stuff in.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
I would bet that they wanted to get it in/out as quickly as possible being a warranty job. They drained what was needed to R and R the pump, and then topped it back off with what they thought was in there, and then out the door. It makes me wonder if FCA had a large amount of the orange stuff left, and continued to build vehicles with it until it was gone.

Don

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was going through the same thing, I added a 180 degree thermostat, new water pump and drained and flushed coolant and still my temp raises up to half then back down, but when idling it goes back up to half sometimes a little past half.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 2017 which I bought new, has a clear overflow reservoir. It's the acess to the cooling system. There's no access to the rad...and came with Orange fluid. Never even heard of the Oat

1 - 20 of 21 Posts