Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'm getting tired of hunting through threads trying to figure out tire sizes and wheel sizes individually, is there any way we can compile a database of what fits without rubbing / trimming wheel well stuff?

I'm basically looking for "you can fit an overall diameter of 3x.y inches by 10" overall width with ____ offset. As long as your stuff falls within that box somehow, you're good."

For example - if you have 1" of space between your OEM tire and wheel well at its closest distance (3/4 lock or so), and you put on a wheel that's an inch wider with the same offset and same overall diameter, you still have 1/2" to spare. Similarly, put on a tire that's 1" bigger on your same width, and you should still have 1/2". Everyone with me so far here? Good.

Where it gets a bit trickier is when you can't find a wheel with the same OEM offset (likely, because of our crazy +56). So now a 1" wider wheel plus a +20 offset is going to push that pivot point out - and close the gap even with the same overall diameter.

So. I've seen conflicting answers on here too. Some people say 31" is the biggest tires you can put on without rubbing, while other people say "nuh uh, I've got 32"s and don't have any issues".

Here's what I'm looking for: Post up what you have and whether it rubbed and made you have to trim the wheel well liner or not in the following format, and I'll compile it into a chart for people to use.

I'm using https://tiresize.com/calculator/ to get dimensions, and Will They Fit for offset differences and dimensions.

Wheel size:
Wheel width:
Wheel offset:
Tire size:
Tire width:
Overall diameter / height:
Rubbing: Yes/No
Lift kit: Yes/No + how much

Example:
Wheel size: 20"
Wheel width: 8"
Wheel offset: +56
Tire size: 265/50r20
Tire width: 10.4"
Overall diameter / height: 30.5"
Rubbing: No
Lift kit: No

I'd like to put the following on, but don't know if it will rub:
Wheel size: 18"
Wheel width: 9"
Wheel offset: +20
Tire Size: 285/60r18
Tire width: 11.2"
Overall diameter/height: 31.5"
Rubbing: Unknown?
Lift kit: Yes, 2.5" Rocky Road Outfitters.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So here's what I ended up with:

Fuel Beast 18"x9", +0 offset with the shop giving it a +8 or so
BFG TA KO2 265/60 R18s

I still have plenty of room and could definitely go up to 285/60 R18 on the tires, and plan to do exactly that for my next set (probably next winter).

Pics:

Sitting next to my buddy's 4Runner:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Looks awesome!

·
Administrator
28,310 Posts
Looks Great now take all that Great Info and create a post that has all your charts in it explaining all teh calculations
Thank you for all that research
STEVE

·
Registered
259 Posts
Looks great.
I am also looking into going down to an 18" wheel on my RT and going up to a 32" tire. 275/65r18 is the size im looking at now. Ive seen a few posts that say I wont have any rubbing but that is the absolute tallest tire I can install without a lift. I have a 2014 RT and dont plan on installing the Rocky Road lift yet. And I dont plan on taking mine offroad much...well at least not yet. Its still like new. I want more sidewall for a softer ride and I want the tires to fill the wheel wells alot more and have a more aggressive offroad look. The rear stock tire size looks like a minivan to me!
Can I do a 32" tire on an RT?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Really looks great norcal. Those rims were a good choice.

I'd like to put the following on:
Wheel width: 9.5"
Wheel offset: +34
Tire Size: 285/50r20 Cooper Zeon
Tire width: 11.6"
Overall diameter/height: 31.3"
Rubbing: Not from my research

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Really looks great norcal. Those rims were a good choice.

I'd like to put the following on:
Wheel width: 9.5"
Wheel offset: +34
Tire Size: 285/50r20 Cooper Zeon
Tire width: 11.6"
Overall diameter/height: 31.3"
Rubbing: Not from my research
I would think you would have no problems what so ever with that setup..

If I can make the deal happen, I am working on getting 255/75/17 Hankook DynaPro AT/M on Wrangler Unlimited rims... from my research, the 17" rims do clear the calipers IF you have 330mm front rotors... and the tire size should fill the wheel well nicely

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Will be picking up the 255/75/17s with Hankook DynaPro ATMs on OEM Wrangler rims tomorrow morning !!

$300 and the tires are new! With TPMS

32" tire.. I think its gunna look good!

So back to thread 1.. here is what ill be putting on (keep in mind that both Durangos that these will go on do NOT have factory tow, so they have 330mm front rotors...

Wheel size: 17"
Wheel width: 7.5"
Wheel offset: 44.45
Tire size: 255/75/17
Tire width: 10"
Overall diameter / height: 32.1"
Rubbing: no
Lift kit: no

Will let ya know tomorrow how they work out!

******* UPDATE ********* they fit.... BARELY!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Will be picking up the 255/75/17s with Hankook DynaPro ATMs on OEM Wrangler rims tomorrow morning !!

$300 and the tires are new! With TPMS

32" tire.. I think its gunna look good!

So back to thread 1.. here is what ill be putting on (keep in mind that both Durangos that these will go on do NOT have factory tow, so they have 330mm front rotors...

Wheel offset:*44.45
Rubbing: ?????

Will let ya know tomorrow how they work out!

Well ll they fit... but the fronts have MINIMAL clearance between the calipers and wheels... couple millimeters.... but drove about 70 miles on them with no issues (just like my Sahara rims)

Will most likely by some hubcentric spacers just for peace of mind...

Before (stock size tires).. yes its dirty.. winter has started in IOWA

After....

·
Registered
575 Posts
Wheel offset: 44.45
Rubbing: no
YES! someone as attentive to detail as myself! In almost the same exact format. Ex.

Member: Bohic
Year/Make/Model/Trim: 2016 Dodge Durango R/T
Wheels: 22x10.5 Velgen VMB9
Tires: 285/35/22
Suspension: Road Magnets Stock Load Leveling Shocks
Interferance: None Reported
Heights: Front: 32"
Rear: 32" (33" While driving) (undrivable with without load leveling aka Slammed.)
Referance:
http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/durango-discussions-2014/31290-road-magnets.html
http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/durango-discussions-2014/18591-what-did-you-do-your-durango-today-post334297.html#post334297

You thinking of getting a lift? If you were closer I'd trade you springs/shocks give you an 1" lift (floaty though). Also I see you selling the in floor storage tub, but not seeing a mod thread yet....Your mods are always tasteful and well done so keep sharing! I left some info/opinions on the spacers in your other thread. And for my records, are you experiencing any running at full lock turns? You notice the vehicle sitting that extra inch taller from 2" diameter increase?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
YES! someone as attentive to detail as myself! In almost the same exact format. Ex.

Member: Bohic
Year/Make/Model/Trim: 2016 Dodge Durango R/T
Wheels: 22x10.5 Velgen VMB9
Tires: 285/35/22
Suspension: Road Magnets Stock Load Leveling Shocks
Interferance: None Reported
Heights: Front: 32"
Rear: 32" (33" While driving) (undrivable with without load leveling aka Slammed.)
Referance:
http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/durango-discussions-2014/31290-road-magnets.html
http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/durango-discussions-2014/18591-what-did-you-do-your-durango-today-post334297.html#post334297

You thinking of getting a lift? If you were closer I'd trade you springs/shocks give you an 1" lift (floaty though). Also I see you selling the in floor storage tub, but not seeing a mod thread yet....Your mods are always tasteful and well done so keep sharing! I left some info/opinions on the spacers in your other thread. And for my records, are you experiencing any running at full lock turns? You notice the vehicle sitting that extra inch taller from 2" diameter increase?
Thanks for the kind words!

Not getting a lift though..these will most likely be swapped over to my AWD Crew come spring (I have my winter tire setup on the Crew now)... but yes, I do notice a higher ride with the taller tires.. smoother ride too!
And no rubbing at lockout... checked and can easily gettmy fingers between

No mods for the rear hatch... I acquired a new storage bin when Discount Tire trashed mine trying to get to the spare after I specifically told them "dont toich the spare" knowing they would break something... the broke storage bin tabs and my passive entry receiver! But the tabs aren't bad so just leaving it in

And thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Not a bad day to put on the taller, slightly narrower, more aggressive tires!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Bri, does it ride smoother with that much side wall?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wheel size: 20
Wheel width: 9
Wheel offset: 0
Tire size: 275
Tire width: 55
Overall diameter / height: 810.5mm / 31.91inches
Rubbing: Yes on very hard turns
Lift kit: Yes lifted 2.5 inches all around

American Racing rims with KO2s, I'll upload a picture if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking to get 265/65R18 on Stock 2013 18" Wheels. Anyone running this? Sounds like everything should fit.

Wheel size: Stock 18"
Wheel width: 8
Wheel offset:
Tire size: 265
Tire width: 65
Overall diameter / height: 31.6 inches

No Lift Kit. Factory tow package.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Looking to get 265/65R18 on Stock 2013 18" Wheels. Anyone running this? Sounds like everything should fit.

Wheel size: Stock 18"
Wheel width: 8
Wheel offset:
Tire size: 265
Tire width: 65
Overall diameter / height: 31.6 inches

No Lift Kit. Factory tow package.
Did you ever go with this? I'm in the market for new tires for my '13 on 18" OE rims. I kind of wanted to see if I could get something slightly wider for the look.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts