Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ... one result of the lockdowns in 2020 was our 2017 Durango R/T only traveled about 7,500 in the past year. So, I hadn't had to do an oil change since May 25, 2020.

Since the manual calls for an oil change every 10,000 miles or 12 months and we're taking the Durango to the Smoky Mountains in a couple of weeks; it was time to change the oil. Thanks to O'Reilly having a deal last month on 5qt jugs of Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-20, it wasn't too painful.

There's something to be said for doing my own oil changes and knowing that the change was done right. And ... it gives me another opportunity to use my Grandfather's oil can from the '40s/'50s.

14A207B8-19D6-452E-AEAD-C44C516E2F55.jpeg

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
507 Posts
+1 on the oil can! Nice remembrance. No rust inside I hope.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1 on the oil can! Nice remembrance. No rust inside I hope.
No rust. Since I handle the oil changes on four vehicles it stays fairly busy. And, when not in use it has an honored place on a shelf in the garage with an O'Reilly's bag over it to keep dust out.

So you don't go by the on-board oil change indicator?
Sorry for the long answer but I don't treat all of the cars in the family the same way.

In my 2005 Monte Carlo LS (3.4L/207ci) I go by the onboard oil change indicator. I probably should treat my daily driver better. But it does get Mobil1 Full Synthetic engine oil.

Since my daughter and her 2012 Ford Edge SEL (3.7L/227ci) live about 75 miles away, it's easier for me to have her just follow the onboard oil change indicator also. Then I help her change it on her next visit. The indictor seems to come on between 7,000 and 9,000 miles. And, it also gets either Mobil1 or Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic engine oil. Of the four vehicles this is the one we have to keep an eye on the level. Like a lot of Fords, it burns a little.

For my 2015 Challenger SRT 392 (6.4L/392ci) I go by months rather than miles or the onboard oil change indicator. The owner's manual calls for a change every 6,000 miles or 6 months -- whichever comes first. And since it's become a bit of a garage diva, it felt a little silly changing the oil in March when it only had 1,300 miles since September. But the extended warranty that came with it as a CPO calls for the factory intervals to be followed, and 6 months had passed so I changed it.

For our 2017 Durango R/T (5.7L/345ci) I shoot for 7,500 miles. The owner's manual calls for a change every 10,000 miles or 12 months or 350 hours of operation -- whichever comes first. This change was just under 7,500 miles and the oil life indicator was at 34%.

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Actually I believe the manual says to NOT exceed 10,000 miles...not that it is the oil change mileage interval. That can vary depending upon how it is driven, is used to tow..ect. Which I assume the on-board oil change system takes into account. Or seems to from my experience....but yes, they do also apply a time as well for those who don't put a lot of miles on their vehicles.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I believe the manual says to NOT exceed 10,000 miles...not that it is the oil change mileage interval. That can vary depending upon how it is driven, is used to tow..ect. Which I assume the on-board oil change system takes into account. Or seems to from my experience....but yes, they do also apply a time as well for those who don't put a lot of miles on their vehicles.
You've stated the manual MUCH more accurately than I did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts