Dodge Durango Forum banner
1201 - 1220 of 1295 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Euphoria!

Just had my first status change on the SRT (ordered 10/20). According to customer chat, I jumped (leapt, really) from "waiting for parts" to "parts arrived, waiting for assembly" on 11/5.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Got a VIN and a D code.

No word on build date yet. Fingers crossed.
VIN and D code means it will get built. and it will be built as a 2021 model. now... as to WHEN the build actually happens?

originally I had thought they would cut off 2021 MY production by Christmas break. and maybe they will. but I'm seeing orders as late as mid-October and I'm seeing 3 month build time frames. that math equals build dates after Christmas for some 2021 MY. crazy world.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
my build has now been bumped from 11/15 to 11/17. just got an email from Mike Clinnin at Mall of Georgia CDJR.

but for an order date of 9/22 I'm still content.

Reactions: Srichey250

·
Registered
22 Posts
VIN and D code means it will get built. and it will be built as a 2021 model. now... as to WHEN the build actually happens?

originally I had thought they would cut off 2021 MY production by Christmas break. and maybe they will. but I'm seeing orders as late as mid-October and I'm seeing 3 month build time frames. that math equals build dates after Christmas for some 2021 MY. crazy world.
Anything before the end of January and I'll be happy.

When I went to order the dealer had one SRT 392 on the lot, it was spoken for and waiting to get picked up.

I got a call today that the buyer backed out. It was similar to what I ordered but missing the tech package and interior upgrade, so I passed.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Anything before the end of January and I'll be happy.

When I went to order the dealer had one SRT 392 on the lot, it was spoken for and waiting to get picked up.

I got a call today that the buyer backed out. It was similar to what I ordered but missing the tech package and interior upgrade, so I passed.
I read an article in the latest Car and Driver magazine that basically said those buyers that can afford to order direct from the factory, and then wait until delivery like you can, will get the best deals going forward.

it was a good article and gave a lot of reasons why this will be true; part & chip shortage will continue well into next year and that's assuming there are no more interruptions in the manufacture & delivery chain.

went on to say that as manufacturers do get parts, customer Sold orders will be given priority, and then fleet orders and only after those will dealers be able to get inventory to put on their lots. also, that manufacturers and dealers have learned a lesson/adapted to this new normal and are moving towards a more direct order based model with less inventory produced simply to fill up dealer lots.

I think the article really hit a nerve with me because I had come to some of the same conclusions already. I have literally NEVER bought a brand new vehicle until this one. and I've obviously never ordered a vehicle direct from the factory. in the past, I've always shopped for used, late models vehicles and gotten tremendous deals.

last summer we bought a 2019 Pacifica Limited that was CPO and still under the factory 3/36 warranty that had been liquidated from a rental fleet and had only seen 10 months service. got such a good deal, basically 1/2 price for what it sold new.

but that's not reality today. and won't be reality next year for sure and very possibly won't be reality in 2023. and we all know what Used Car prices are like in this new reality.

the ONLY way to get a deal is to find the right dealer and order direct from the factory.

and then sit back and wait.

Reactions: gabbyg88

·
Registered
25 Posts
I read an article in the latest Car and Driver magazine that basically said those buyers that can afford to order direct from the factory, and then wait until delivery like you can, will get the best deals going forward.

it was a good article and gave a lot of reasons why this will be true; part & chip shortage will continue well into next year and that's assuming there are no more interruptions in the manufacture & delivery chain.

went on to say that as manufacturers do get parts, customer Sold orders will be given priority, and then fleet orders and only after those will dealers be able to get inventory to put on their lots. also, that manufacturers and dealers have learned a lesson/adapted to this new normal and are moving towards a more direct order based model with less inventory produced simply to fill up dealer lots.

I think the article really hit a nerve with me because I had come to some of the same conclusions already. I have literally NEVER bought a brand new vehicle until this one. and I've obviously never ordered a vehicle direct from the factory. in the past, I've always shopped for used, late models vehicles and gotten tremendous deals.

last summer we bought a 2019 Pacifica Limited that was CPO and still under the factory 3/36 warranty that had been liquidated from a rental fleet and had only seen 10 months service. got such a good deal, basically 1/2 price for what it sold new.

but that's not reality today. and won't be reality next year for sure and very possibly won't be reality in 2023. and we all know what Used Car prices are like in this new reality.

the ONLY way to get a deal is to find the right dealer and order direct from the factory.

and then sit back and wait.
We did the same with a Pacifica in 2017. Usually always not used, just a year or two old, so the big depreciation hit was already done. Nowadays, NOPE. Not sure if the article you read mentioned this, but another factor that could make this kind of market continue for a while is that because much fewer new cars are available, the used cars in the market is going to be lower moving forward for a bit, particularly those relatively new used cars.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
We did the same with a Pacifica in 2017. Usually always not used, just a year or two old, so the big depreciation hit was already done. Nowadays, NOPE. Not sure if the article you read mentioned this, but another factor that could make this kind of market continue for a while is that because much fewer new cars are available, the used cars in the market is going to be lower moving forward for a bit, particularly those relatively new used cars.
no, this article didn't dive into the effect on the used car market going forward. but you're exactly correct.

there's no other way it could be. less cars overall, more and more pent up demand, no quick end in sight. that all adds up to Used Cars will be expensive for the next 2 years, if not longer.

literally the best way to get a deal right now is to order it directly from the factory.

that's crazy to say, but true.

·
Registered
19 Posts
my build has now been bumped from 11/15 to 11/17. just got an email from Mike Clinnin at Mall of Georgia CDJR.

but for an order date of 9/22 I'm still content.
same here, again; same story since build date was given. Keeps changing every week; today's number is 11/13, original date was 10/28... the car build keeps escaping :(

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
same here, again; same story since build date was given. Keeps changing every week; today's number is 11/13, original date was 10/28... the car build keeps escaping :(
Tuksu75, on the bright side the difference between mine and your dates (roughly 1 week) has stayed the same so far.

my original build date was set for 11/05, roughly 1 week after yours.

here's hoping yours, and mine, stay on track over the next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tuksu75, on the bright side the difference between mine and your dates (roughly 1 week) has stayed the same so far.

my original build date was set for 11/05, roughly 1 week after yours.

here's hoping yours, and mine, stay on track over the next 2 weeks.
Oh my yes, I'm trying to stay positive here. I've waited so many years and paid out mortgage to get here! :D Just gimme my V8 :D When should build sheet link start showing some data, on the real build date or beyond that, does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Oh my yes, I'm trying to stay positive here. I've waited so many years and paid out mortgage to get here! :D Just gimme my V8 :D When should build sheet link start showing some data, on the real build date or beyond that, does anyone know?
Build Sheet link should show up once it actually starts going down the production line. I think the day after it starts down the line based on other members experiences.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got off with chat about my build status. They told me that my R/T is in trim, basically in the final stages of the build but no ETA at the dealership. R/T ordered on 9/13.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

1201 - 1220 of 1295 Posts