Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 2000 dodge Dakota slt. I recently purchased some off road lights for it, I have them mounted but I'm trying to figure out how to wire them into my high beams with a relay? I don't want a extra switch I just want them on the same time my high beam lights are on, does anyone know how to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,067 Posts
Don't know where you live, but that would be terribly inconsiderate and illegal. You can't run off road lights while driving on the streets/highways in most states. Wiring could be problem since headlights are controlled by a switched ground. Better to wire on separate switch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have them mounted in my bumper below my head lights from what I understand this is legal, so are you saying it's not possible to wire it that way?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You could simply tap into your factory wiring... But depending o what type of lights they are (halogen, HiD, LED) I'd be worried about overloading the factory harness

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 2 small led lights (4in round), I want to hook them up to a relay off my high beams, but I don't know how to wire it

·
Administrator
8,067 Posts
If the lights ground through the housing you could have problems. The headlights have power to them all the time, the switching capability is done with ground circuit.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I agree with the above cautions. However, assuming this vehicle is exclusively used off road, consider the following...

Connect the relay control pins as follows:
-One pin to Highbeam switched ground signal wire behind headlight.
-other pin to positive signal wire behind headlight. Use fuse on this wire.

The above will only close the relay when the high beams are turned on. Since you may not be familiar with circuits, I recommend using an ohm meter at this point to verify the circuit between N.O. and Common are open when Highbeam switch is off. Similarly, these two pins should "short" (close) when the highbeams switch is switched on with headlights on.

Now, since you state the new lights are grounded via the bumper - that leaves a positive wire only that needs to be dealt with since the lights are already mounted. Connect the following to complete your setup:

- connect the single wire from each light to the "common" pin on the relay (only these two wires from lights).
- connect the Normally Open (N.O.) pin on the relay to a wire connected to the positive battery post, use fuse on this wire.

Note, the Normally Closed (N.C.) pin would be the opposite of what you want. So no wire to this relay pin for this setup.

If you need more help, please post a photo if YOUR relay pins and I'll assist further.

Using the relay will help prevent your headlight circuit from being over loaded since the current driving the new lights will pass through the relay pins/contact, not through the Highbeam circuit. It also gets around the switched positive wire requirement of the new lights.

Regardless, I recommend installing two fuses on this setup. One between battery positive oost, close to battery. Second one between positive signal wire behind headlight and relay, closer to factory headlight wire harness end. Use fuses recommended or supplied in new light kit. The relay should also be one from the kit if not, many will work - just be sure it is rated for the current draw of new lights. The switching side of relay (side that creates magnetic field to pull relay) should no add too much to the Highbeam circuit.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Relay pins 85 and 86 are the electromagnetic control pins that when energized, will close/short pins 30 and 87.

So you can connect the switched wire from the headlight highbeam switch to say pin 85.
Connect pin 86 to the positive wire behind the headlight Highbeam buls harness.

It really does not matter if you swap/reverse pins 85 and 86. Either way, the relay will close when Highbeam switch is turned on.

You can connect pin 30 of the relay to fused wire to battery's positive post.
Connect pin 87 of relay to new lights. If there are two pins labeled 87 (do NOT use 87A for your setup), then each light can use it's own 87 pin. Other side connect both lights to the single pin 87.

Again, it really does not matter if the battery is connected to pin 87 or pin 30 - unless there are two 87 pins, then take advantage and use both pins for each light and battery to pin 30.

The above information assumes the headlight switch is indeed negative (-) switching. If it is positive switched for factory light switch, then the other wire behind the switch would be negative, not positive since the switched lead from the headlight Highbeam switch would be positive. This is quite easy to fixture out with a ohm/volt meter, so recommended.

Don't focus too much on why the numbers of popular relays are typically 30, 85, 86, 87(n.o.), & 87A(n.c.), if present.

Just remember pins 85 & 86 are used to close the relay so relay control pins. Pin 30 is typically the common/12VDC power source and pin 87 receives that 12VDC power when pins 85 & 86 are included in an energized/switched circuit.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
What I did in the past was wire a really to control the positive feed to the lights, then have one of the solenoid pins always wired to 12v. Then I had a switch in the cab which was connected to the other side of the solenoid. This switched toggled between the switched ground of the headlights high beam, off, and a chassis ground. This gave me lights on with high beams, always off, or always on depending on the switch position.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome thank you guys so much for the help, I'll try wiring them up after work and let you know how it goes! Thanks again!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Here's an edited depiction of what your wiring could look like. Note, you can connect to either the Low beam or High beam for the "master" lights On or Off.

Untitled.jpg

Then use the optional auxiliary switch located at the dash to control the new lights from being enabled for only "off road" use. If you do not install the auxiliary switch in-line to the relay, using the high beam output signal from the headlight switch will work as you requested.

As others suggested doing so is a poor choice for on-road vehicle use as another driver will inadvertently get blinded at night - if not by you, by an unsuspecting someone else driving your vehicle.

More data can be found here:

How To Wire Fog And Driving Lights Harness Wiring Diagram

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I have it wired properly but I broke a head light bulb while wiring them so my headlights won't come one so I'll get a bulb tomorrow and try but is this what you ment with the wires behind the headlight bulb

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think I have it wired properly but I broke a head light bulb while wiring them so my headlights won't come one so I'll get a bulb tomorrow and try but is this what you ment with the wires behind the headlight bulb

Right, you should be able to "tap" into the harnes of one head light. This is going to be the source to control/activate the relay to switch n power from battery positive terminal to flow to the new lights you installed.

The photo isn't too clear to what wire is doing what - seems like a lot of splices taking place.

If you are unsure about wiring/schematic, ask a buddy to help work through the setup. If Yu have a ohm/volt meter, I recommend using it before moving forward. What yo font want is to skip the use of fuses and/or rei burning up circuits. That gets expensive to diagnose and correct.

You mentioned you broke one bulb. The the should still work. Do the new lights turn as expected?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the project is being put in hold for now, I got new head lights and my driver side light does not come on

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it possible I blew my ctm while trieing to wite this in? Or any other ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No the fuse was fine, I have power at 2 of the wires but not from the black one. If I turn the high beam on the light glows red like it doesn't have enough power

1 - 20 of 33 Posts