Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been going on for awhile. When I'm driving and make moderately sharp right hand turns, I hear a whine coming from the front left axle. Sounds almost like a lower pitched supercharger whine. Only does it when I make sharp right hand turns. Doesn't do a thing turning left. Had the dealer check the wheel bearing on the front left to be safe and they said it was fine and that they couldn't recreate the noise (because of course). Don't think it's power steering as it only makes the sound when I'm driving, not sitting still. Just looking for advice on things to check.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Does it happen at all speeds, or just about a certain mph?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think I've heard the same noise... IF this vehicle has electric steering, it may be that causing the audible whine during hard turns, but I haven't looked into it yet.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I hear the same noice and it is only when I make a hard right turn so it is at lower speeds. It has been making this whining sound for months. My D has almost 91K miles.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think I've heard the same noise... IF this vehicle has electric steering, it may be that causing the audible whine during hard turns, but I haven't looked into it yet.
I've seen and heard something similar coming through the speakers in a '15 genesis after a speaker upgrade. It sounds like an animal whining and occurs on slow, sharper, turns. Definitely a steering issue with that.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Same exact sound and scenario here. We put 20x9 SRT reps on about a year ago and are having this noise the past few months. I suspected bearing too but have not pursued it anymore. I just looked at your profile and says you have the same wheels. I'm thinking the offset on these wheels have put to much pressure on the drivetrain of the vehicle causing some wheel bearing failure.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank god I'm not the only one with this issue. Glad I'm not crazy. It's odd that it's only turning right. It doesn't appear to be causing an issue, just annoying to listen to. And naturally the dealer is useless when it comes to this. Head scratcher for sure. You'd think that if it were our wheels, then it would be on both sides. I've had my reps on for over 2 years.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yea I'm with you on that. Kinda odd it would be the wheel offset but it's the only thing I can think of. We also had a hard time with our last alignment and barely got it within spec on the left side front. I'm debating either going back to stock wheels and get bearing replaced by dealer or do an aftermarket bearing and just keep riding. Also got some break pulsation as well. All the symptoms I have and from what I have researched point to the wheel bearing for sure. I just wish the dealer would be easier to deal with on it all. It's covered under warranty but I'm sure they are gonna fight it with custom wheels.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yea I'm with you on that. Kinda odd it would be the wheel offset but it's the only thing I can think of. We also had a hard time with our last alignment and barely got it within spec on the left side front. I'm debating either going back to stock wheels and get bearing replaced by dealer or do an aftermarket bearing and just keep riding. Also got some break pulsation as well. All the symptoms I have and from what I have researched point to the wheel bearing for sure. I just wish the dealer would be easier to deal with on it all. It's covered under warranty but I'm sure they are gonna fight it with custom wheels.
I have the stock 20" and have the problem so i am thinking it is not an offset problem.

·
Premium Member
28,307 Posts
Not an offset problem for sure I have zero noises like that which a few of you describe
STEVE

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't even know what to suggest as a starting point since it never seems to be reproducible when you need it to. Like I said, wheel bearing was ruled out already for me. The dealer physically inspected the bearing and said it was perfectly fine. I think bearing is more of like a growl kind of noise and this is more of a whine-like noise.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not an offset problem for sure I have zero noises like that which a few of you describe
STEVE
You're more than likely right, but you also have SIGNIFICANTLY less miles on yours than we do lol. I just reached 75K

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm at 49k it's been going on that I've noticed since about 40k. Yes it's hard to reproduce. Mine seems to be around 15- 30 mph and a right turn only. I'm RWD, so it's not anything to do with AWD drive shafts or anything like that. I'm even more confused now.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been hearing mine since about 60K. Same exact range of speeds. I'm AWD. Well the good thing about both of us having the same issue is if one of us fixes it, we know what to tell the other! Haha

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just an update. I hadn't taken the D to the dealership as of yet but I'm now lending towards the power steering being the issue. It makes the sound really loud now since it's gotten colder and it does it during any low speed motion of the steering as in backing it out of the driveway. It still only does it at moderate speed turning to the right so I can't explain that one. But I'm now leaning towards it being the power steering pump.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My RT was doing that after a stop. Dealer topped off the PS fluid and problem solved. It wasnt very low at all,but just a touch low was enough.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts