Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 durango 5.7L hemi
No start one morning, and has never ran since.Replaced crank sensor, cam sensor, Pcm, Tipm, ignition switch.
No codes present, fuel pump priming, and pressure at rail.Removed coil pack 1 and found no spark during cranking.ASD relay closing and power verified at coil pack, until start sequence times out.Pulled plugs and found fuel in cylinder, but no fire.So coil packs are receiving 12v, but pcm ground is not getting to COPs.
Disconnected crank sensor, and cranked engine, immediately threw a CKS open code.
Obviously PCM is reading crank signal, but no tach bounce during cranking.Anyone have an idea, of where to go next, to figure out why this thing won't spark?Thanks,in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Skrapp:
Lots of parts being thrown in there. How many miles on it, and what do you know of it's history? Did you use oem parts when replacing the sensors? Dodges can be quite picky when it comes to them. You may have a defective sensor out of the box. Where did you source the PCM and TIPM from? Were they properly integrated to your particular vehicle?

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skrapp:
Lots of parts being thrown in there. How many miles on it, and what do you know of it's history? Did you use oem parts when replacing the sensors? Dodges can be quite picky when it comes to them. You may have a defective sensor out of the box. Where did you source the PCM and TIPM from? Were they properly integrated to your particular vehicle?

Don
Hi Don, 190,000 miles,sourced the Pcm, pre-programmed from
Skrapp:

Don
Hi Don It's got 190000 miles and bought it as a basket case with cam and crank sensor codes.Replaced both, and still codes stayed, next was transmission codes shift solenoids etc.:starting out in 3rd gear, and no overdrive, would'nt kick down when accelerating. So, I'd pull over, turn off, restart, and good to go.Then no start one morning, and never since.Ordered a PCM from All computer resources, programmed with vin, and installed.It then was cranking in the "on" position.Long story short, C1 pcm connector was missing the plastic pin alignment block that aligns the pins to the Pcm and I folded a pin onto another one and may have cooked my new PCM.Didnt notice the black plug missing the block because it's also black.Put the old PCM back in and no fault codes anymore.Cranks normally.Unplugged the crank sensor, and immediately threw a crank sensor code.I believe the crank sensor input is working, and the ASD operation confirms it.Ive put the old Tipm back in, as the truck didn't like that front control module.Its a Hodgepodge of aftermarket and wrecker parts, so I need test and verify components, and I'm finding conflicting info online.Anyway, I've got power to the hot side of the coil packs and no spark.Going to buy a manual tomorrow to find out which pins on the PCM ground the coil packs.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
What kind of shape is the battery in? Have you replaced it, or had it properly load tested to rule out any issues there?
If not, that would be at the top of my list. Having bought it as a basket case, I would go for the low hanging fruit first, and then move up from there. If it was sitting for a while before you picked it up, there could be rodent damage to wiring underhood, or elsewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of shape is the battery in? Have you replaced it, or had it properly load tested to rule out any issues there?
If not, that would be at the top of my list. Having bought it as a basket case, I would go for the low hanging fruit first, and then move up from there. If it was sitting for a while before you picked it up, there could be rodent damage to wiring underhood, or elsewhere.
I'm afraid I've ate most of the low hanging fruit.I'm nearing the upper branches and need to start pinning out the PCM.I carbon pile tested the battery it's a good one, cranks like crazy.I did cut out and repair one wire to the PCM that was rubbed through,and exposed and visually inspected all of the PCM harness.Once I get the book, or stumble on the diagram online for those PCM plugs I'll figure it out

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Have you done a battery reset, to see if there might be a glitch that needs to be cleared? It could not hurt. Remove the negative batt terminal, depress brake pedal 30 seconds, reconnect, and see what you have.
We know you need spark, fuel, and compression to run. You say it cranks well, maybe too well. Does it sound like it has compression? Maybe try a bit of carb cleaner into the throttle body, to see if it will run for a moment.

Don

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,196 Posts
You say no codes? What are you using to check for codes? Is there communication between your code reader/scanner and the PCM? Can you read the VIN?

I'm assuming after shorting out the pins in the "new" PCM it's toast. You now have the original PCM in and are able to get codes such as disconnecting the CKP sensor so the BUS comm is good.

Injectors and Coils should have Supply voltage at the same time as long as the ASD circuit is active. The PCM applies a ground to each individual Coil/Injector to fire it at the correct time.

So fuel in cylinders sounds like the Injector circuitry is working. Maybe invest in a "noid" to see if the coils are actually good. And a compression check would be a good idea to verify.

Possible fuse/power/wiring problem now. Or a fuse somewhere you've overlooked. I'm with Don on a possible Rodent problem and wiring.

I do have a 4 volume set of the 2006 Durango Factory Service Manuals that I could sell but shipping to Canada might be pricy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Symptoms are the same with old and new pcms.I have a scanner that can read basic parameters, read and clear codes.You are correct, I have power to the hot side of coils but no ground, from the Pcm.Can't really see all 8 coil packs going bad, or all 8 coil driver outputs burnt on the PCM.I feel like it's a broken ground, but have checked and double checked.I'll grab a Haynes manual tomorrow and hopefully save myself some grief

1 - 8 of 8 Posts