Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Durango 5.9L RWD and I've had some problems. About two months ago I was stranded on the side of the road; car sputtered out. On the side of the road, about 1 hr later, car started with no problem. Decided it was time for a good work-over; changed oil/filter and replaced plugs and wires. Good to go for a while, but then car died again. Gave in and towed to the mechanic who, among other things, checked the compression, plugs and wires, crank/cam sensor and finally determined it to be a bad coil. Replaced the coil and off we go. We had some surging at 2k RPM but it just felt like an indecisive transmission, thought nothing of it (probably something, not sure). Then, car started throwing a code for bad O2 upstream. Replaced the O2 sensor. Worked fine for a few days (except still having the mild surge at 2k RPM). Then, last week, no start. Car turns over fine, just won't catch. Checked battery and starter first; both tested good. Checked recently replaced coil, no spark from the coil. Ugh. Tested primary and secondary resistance; secondary resistance was about 800 ohms off of Hayne's reported "good" threshold. Replaced the coil. Still no spark.

What to do at this point? What causes a no spark condition from the coil? I'm going to test the pigtail for 12V as suggested by a friend, and clean the bolts holding the coil to the bracket as I was told this is where the coil is grounded.

What next? Another friend suggested the magnetic pickup coil on the distributor or the crank sensor. I'm just not sure either of these sensors would cause a no-spark situation at the coil. Any suggestions? No codes appear to be throwing, but I'll check that tonight with the manual code check (ignition on/off 3x will flash codes at me, no?). ECM?

Could the mild surging have something to do with this?

Any ideas guys?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
When you did the tune up, did you change trans fluid, filter?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts