Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So my 2000 Dodge Durango 5.9L was running beautifully tranny is great engine is great it runs very smoothly. Till about two days ago it decided not to start on me one morning before my way to work. Now like I said it starts fine every time no signs of stuttering or rough idle nothing sounds great. Until two days ago I try to start it like normal to go to work I didn't have any lights it didn't even crank nothing like everything was dead, but I heard a clicking or ticking in the glovebox that was the only sound or thing that was making any noise, I turned the key in the ignition to keep trying to start it but nothing no crank. I tried to do some research on here, one thing I found was to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and go through a sequence of entering the key in the ignition for 10 seconds then remove it then repeat 5 times, no luck. When I connect the negative terminal back in the cars gets electricity for like one second then shuts off and still doesn't crank, then clicking in glovebox returns this time there was very the domelights turned on but very dim but then shuts off after trying to start it. Today I try starting it after leaving it in the parking lot for a day and now it sounds like the relay is clicking but still no crank and electricity cuts off after turning the key fully in the ignition trying to start it. Now one thing that caught my attention was that the night before all this happened I turned the car off about to walk to my house but forgot to use my parking brake as I always do leaving the car overnight, but I engaged the parking brake while the car was shutoff and I have never done this and the morning after all this happens. I think it may have to do something with that but I have no idea, I am a novice when it comes to car repairs and trying to learn about the truck I cannot debunk this quite yet. As of now still no power in the truck, I know the battery is fine because it is only a couple months old. Now also I think a problem might be that I also have a power steering leak that is very evident when you open the hood, could this have caused corrosion and caused the batter not to work?? If so what cables down there could possibly corroded?? I really would appreciate any help and will continue do research in this forum, THANKS!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Holy run on sentences and paragraphs, Batman!

Replace the battery

Or at least try and jump start it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
X2 on load testing the battery, and give the terminals a good cleaning while you are at it.

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have jump started it today and it started fine but will not turn on again by itself,

Same problems

Will continue troubleshooting. Thank you for the advice, and for reading my ramble!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have jump started it today and it started fine but will not turn on again by itself,

Same problems

Will continue troubleshooting. Thank you for the advice, and for reading my ramble!!
Sounds like alternator died. Get battery charged, and replace alternator

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cleaned the negative terminal with metal sandpaper and it started to crank and my lights turned on but did not start. When I turned the key the radiator fan started to spin but gave out.

I will plan on replacing the alternator, also I may have found what could be adding to the problem, looks like I have a power steering leak worse than I thought, I went under the car and checked the cables, and they were all soaked in PS fluid. :confused:

I bought this truck dirt cheap so this comes at no surprise 😅

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If you have lights, radio and everything before you hit the starter, then "click" --- then nothing, chances are the alternator and battery are OK, but main the connections TO the battery are not making contact somewhere between the battery and the starter. You stated that you heard the "clicking coming from the glove-box". That may simply be a relay clicking, or something more important here... You didn 't mention what year your DD is, and this new format hides the forum link up top. So I have no way of knowing if this even applies to yours. BUT If you have a last-gen DD, there is a main buss terminal block in the engine bay on that side, by the firewall. It could be corroded and arching. It\s under a red rubber boot from the factory. It's definitely worth a check, but anyhow, these "corroded connection" failures are more common in the Summer's high humidity when it's raining every day. But depending upon the exposure to moisture, they can less-commonly surface year-round, and on any car ever made.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
@ #3:
It's a 2000 5.9L. Recheck the first sentence of his post.

V8Z:
The PS leak is likely the PS sensor mounted on one of the lines. They are a known issue on the Gen 1 D's. You will want to get it replaced, and as much of that fluid cleaned out/up before permeates the entire harness. Speaking of corrosion, look under the black plastic PDC (power distribution center) next to the battery. The bottom is open, and is known to get wet, corrode, and cause all kinds electrical heartache.

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess first thing I will do is get to cleaning all the yuck and fluid from the leak before its too late, also will check under PDC and possibly clean that as well.

Thanks all for the replies really appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts