Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 R/T Blacked out Pearl
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so heading to work this morning it's 4` Celsius, I decide
to turn on the heater....blowing nothing but COLD AIR!
Have it turned up to 84` and it's like the A/C is on!!
Just had to shell out $1200 for Nivomat shocks, now I get
kicked in the nads for another costly (HOPE NOT) repair.
Had the A/C recharged this summer because it wasn't working,
no loss of coolant in the system, so what could it be?
Perhaps thermostat stuck open?? I'm sure hoping it's a simple fix!!

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
Cyber:
Try a battery disconnect reset, and see if that resets any system glitches. Remove negative battery cable, depress brake pedal 30 seconds, then reconnect and fire it up. Don't touch anything for 4-5 minutes. Just it idle, and warm up. Then give the heat a try.

Don

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cyber:
Try a battery disconnect reset, and see if that resets any system glitches. Remove negative battery cable, depress brake pedal 30 seconds, then reconnect and fire it up. Don't touch anything for 4-5 minutes. Just it idle, and warm up. Then give the heat a try.

Don
Thanx Don! I'll give that a whirl.
Certainly sounds like a low cost fix! Lol
Hope it works! 😉

·
Super Moderator
12,824 Posts
get a cheap IR thermometer and see what the temp of the water pump housing looks like.. that will tell you if you have thermostat issues.

Do you have rear HVAC (I don't know the gen3 durango that well), and if so does that work OK?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx Don! I'll give that a whirl.
Certainly sounds like a low cost fix! Lol
Hope it works! 😉
Well that didn't quite work.....no longer blowing cold air, sort of luke warm?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Sorry, but "kicked in the nads" is hilarious!

Also start feeling the heater hoses under the hood to make sure they are getting hot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that didn't quite work.....no longer blowing cold air, sort of luke warm?
Well I guess it just needed a little more time to react.....drove in this morning and it was blowing warmer air....still not
100%, (like I'll need from Dec. to Feb.!! :eek:), but at least I was toasty warm this morning going to work!!
Thanx Don!! The price was exceptional!! LOL (after I finally found the battery by looking in the manual!! :unsure::oops::rolleyes:)

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
cyber:
Glad you made some progress. As for the engine temp gauge, where does it sit once the engine is warmed up? On the Gen 3, should be in the 1/4 to half scale range. What year/engine is your D, and has the cooling system ever been serviced as in flush/refill?

Don

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cyber:
Glad you made some progress. As for the engine temp gauge, where does it sit once the engine is warmed up? On the Gen 3, should be in the 1/4 to half scale range. What year/engine is your D, and has the cooling system ever been serviced as in flush/refill?

Don
Yes, that's where the guage sits, so I guess the thermostat works.
It's a 2012 w/ the Hemi, and I just got ot last Fall so I have no idea
about the system being serviced. My best guess is no, as it only
had 60K miles on it. Guess it wouldn't hurt to have that done, eh?

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
Ok on the Hemi. The service interval for the '13s is 5yrs or 100K on the oem coolant fill. If you are on the oem fill, you are WAY past time for a service. My bet is that with only 60K, it hasn't been touched.

Don

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok on the Hemi. The service interval for the '13s is 5yrs or 100K on the oem coolant fill. If you are on the oem fill, you are WAY past time for a service. My bet is that with only 60K, it hasn't been touched.

Don
I agree with never been done. I'm gonna get it done ASAP.
I just hope I don't have that done then blow a water pump,
I believe they're notorious for that too, aren't they?? :rolleyes: :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
The problematic years for the WP's were '15 and some '16s. At 60K, you are likely fine. Everything eventually wears out. Some folks have 200K on them, and are still on the original pump.

Don

Reactions: cyber

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The problematic years for the WP's were '15 and some '16s. At 60K, you are likely fine. Everything eventually wears out. Some folks have 200K on them, and are still on the original pump.

Don
Good to know! Thanx Don.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts