Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded my truck for the more family friendly 2020DD RT. I’ve also recently purchased some property to camp on and I’m looking at travel trailers for my family of 5 and 2 dogs to use on it until I build something. I would be towing the trailer rarely and not for very long distances. Have been looking at 30ftBH models and trying to stay under the 7200/720 hw limits. I’m looking for suggestions after having seen a lot of talk about anything over 28ft being an issue for the DD.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
764 Posts
My Coachmen Apex Ultra-Lite 288BHS is 31’2” long with dry weight of 5,200 lbs (7,000 lb GVWR).

Durango has plenty of power to pull it, but it’s pushing the 3,900 lb rear axle limit (GAWR) with a family of 4 and wheelbase is too short in windy conditions.

If we stayed local under 2 hours, it would’ve been fine. But we started taking 1,000 mile trips.

Yes, I would say 26’ is ideal max while 28’ is starting to push it. With a family of 5 plus dogs will really limit the Durango to a smaller TT.

You’ll probably need stay under 4,000 lb listed dry weight.

1A067D7C-005B-481D-91ED-5BA953125774.jpeg
1DF9E3FA-83ED-4473-A0FA-6C8E7EBBE130.jpeg
11B4559D-26FE-4B32-AA3A-D2638B302032.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Coachmen Apex Ultra-Lite 288BHS is 31’2” long with dry weight of 5,200 lbs (7,000 lb GVWR).

Durango has plenty of power to pull it, but it’s pushing the 3,900 lb rear axle limit (GAWR) with a family of 4 and wheelbase is too short in windy conditions.

If we stayed local under 2 hours, it would’ve been fine. But we started taking 1,000 mile trips.

Yes, I would say 26’ is ideal max while 28’ is starting to push it. With a family of 5 plus dogs will really limit the Durango to a smaller TT.

You’ll probably need stay under 4,000 lb listed dry weight.

View attachment 114711 View attachment 114712 View attachment 114713
The trailers you have pictured look like the exact ones I’ve been looking at. Thanks for all the info. The rear limit is the one I’ve seen the most about. Will using a WDH help counter some of that?
We currently don’t intend on taking many long trips with it, but I won’t rule out using it for one at some point. I don’t have room at home to store it so the TT will be parked on my property about 2hrs from home and used for weekend getaways during summer and for myself when hunting in the winter.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The trailers you have pictured look like the exact ones I’ve been looking at. Thanks for all the info. The rear limit is the one I’ve seen the most about. Will using a WDH help counter some of that?
We currently don’t intend on taking many long trips with it, but I won’t rule out using it for one at some point. I don’t have room at home to store it so the TT will be parked on my property about 2hrs from home and used for weekend getaways during summer and for myself when hunting in the winter.
WDH is required, period.

Without a WDH too much weight comes off the front axle and overloads the rear axle.

My 288BHS has a listed tongue weight of 585 lbs, but in reality is in the 800-900 lbs range.

If you’re bringing the whole family, you’ll need a smaller camper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts