Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning! I am completely new to towing and need advice on what to add to my Durango and what I can tow. I am looking to purchase a TT with a dry weight of 5300 with GVWR of 7100. I know the towing for my vehicle is 6200. Will the weight of the camper be an issue? Is there anything I can install to help mitigate weight issues? I know I need an electronic brake system, but recommendations on brands and etc would be appreciated. Anything that will help me keep my Durango in good working order would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Good morning! I am completely new to towing and need advice on what to add to my Durango and what I can tow. I am looking to purchase a TT with a dry weight of 5300 with GVWR of 7100. I know the towing for my vehicle is 6200. Will the weight of the camper be an issue? Is there anything I can install to help mitigate weight issues? I know I need an electronic brake system, but recommendations on brands and etc would be appreciated. Anything that will help me keep my Durango in good working order would be appreciated! Thanks!
Do you have the factory "tow package" equipped ? If not, you need a lighter trailer.
There seems to be a new movement in the RV industry for "light weight" tow-ables.
Many different brands, and many not as light as the name might indicate.
Seems plenty of board members tow within the weight range you specified.
Last thing, don't forget to factor other weight adding items like water, and waste water, gas bottles and other essential items. All add to the final GVW of what you pull.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Without the factory tow package (load-leveling shocks, heavy-duty radiator, and additional transmission cooling) you are limited to 3,500 pound trailer weight and 350 pound tongue weight (2016 numbers but they should be the same as the 2015).

·
Registered
139 Posts
From my experience 5300lbs dry is gong to be getting you close or over the limit by the time you account for battery/ lp tanks /weight dist hitch plus all your gear dishes clothes etc.. I would be looking in the 4500-5000 lb range. Don't want to tear up the Durango.

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
where do you live and plan to tow? flat lands or mts, and agree u must have the tow package to tow that weight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts