Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just made aware of this community earlier today! I knew I wasn't alone with my situation but had no idea this even existed!
So my situation is almost identical to the problems already listed. I purchased mine 3 years ago from my sister who was the second owner. She took impeccable care of it and it only had 115,000 miles (approximately) when I bought it from her. I had driven it for maybe 2 months and made a 900 mile move with it and had zero problems! We had moved down to Tennessee from Michigan and for 2 weeks straight had rain. I had been driving it regularly without any warning. One afternoon I loaded up my daughter and started it only to hear an awful noise! I immediately stopped driving it and researched the symptoms and although I never got a definitive diagnosis, I'm pretty sure it's hydrolock. I absolutely hate that it's just sitting and not getting used because other than some rust damage coming from Michigan, there's nothing else wrong with it! And honestly is the nicest vehicle I've ever owned! I'm not independently wealthy and can't afford a new engine plus the cost of labor! If someone could please point me in the right direction and if there's a recall, what steps I need to take to try and get my red tank back on the road! Thank y'all so much in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
Haily:
Welcome to DDN, and congrats on your new to you Durango. Unfortunately, there is no recall for your situation. 2004 was the first year of the Gen 2 Durango, and like any first year vehicle can, the 04's had some issues. You will need to have the issue diagnosed to see how bad the damage is. If the engine has suffered hydrolock, you will have to decide if the vehicle is worth what it will cost to get it back on the road with a new(er) or rebuilt engine. You may be able to see the damage because there might be a pretty large hole in the side of the engine block, or in the oil pan on the bottom. If you are seeing oil on the ground in a large amount, the damage is done.

I would not start or drive it at all until you know what you have, as the block might be saved if there are no holes in it.

You can plan on spending between $2500-$6000.00 to have a newer or rebuilt engine installed. Less, if you can do the install yourself, or with the help of a friend.

Don

·
Registered
294 Posts
Your engine has to take water in through the intake to hydro lock.

Don't assume the most expensive problem.

What exactly happened?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts