Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I've started this thread but I've basically asked all the questions elsewhere. I'm going to condense it. We purchased a 2015 Durango R/T w/towing package, second row buckets, console, napa leather, basically everything you can add I think. What should I be looking at as far as neglected maintenance or any common problems with a durango of this age. These are the things I noticed.....(after I got it home of course). There is an oil smell at rest I can smell through the vents. The only issue I've found was that there was what appears to be burnt oil all the way around the intake manifold. maybe a bit wet where the oil fill is at. That has since been power washed and degreased. Thought the smell went away but it still appears to be there although maybe not as strong. There is/was a clunk drivers side front over bumps. I tighten the l bracket but I swear there is still a noise. Those are the main two things I've noticed so far. There was a noise in the engine compartment but the dealership diagnosed it as a tensioner pulley so that is getting replaced. I noticed squeaks going over significant rolling bumps but they said nothing was worn to safety point. I hate noises! Bushings I'm guessing.

Anyways we do really like it since it'll be exactly what our family needs. I really want to toss some different wheels and tires on it and upgrade to the SRT hood. Trying to decide what order to do that. I was thinking Hellcat replica wheels possibly 22's.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
THK:
Welcome, and congrats on the new to you Durango. The seepage you saw around the intake could be from a sloppy oil change, or the common leaky upper intake gaskets. Be careful power washing around the engine, especially the top and wiring areas. Water under that kind of pressure can go places you do not want it to, and begin a nightmare. The '15s are known for water pump issues, so keep your ear out for any such noises.

If your power train warranty is still in force, the dealer will replace those gaskets for you.

Don

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm going to keep an eye on the oil around that area and go from there. I now don't have to worry about any punk kid or whomever changing my oil and touching it. Ideas on the smell anyone?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Change the cabin air filter & check the Intake air filter for any oil that may have saturated it from a sloppy oil fill.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cabin filter was supposedly replaced when the dealer got it on their lot. I suppose I could take it. Didn't think about checking the air intake filter for that. I did look at it and I know it was new. Think I'm going to pull the trigger on the SRT hood tomorrow. haha. I feel stupid doing it knowing I haven't worked all the kinks out.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
THK:
Sadly, it seems that many dealers these days won't check much less change plugs, filters, etc. unless it's required or requested. Years back, I had a local dealer get nasty with me when I pointed out that the still dirty oil I had asked to be changed had not. When I bought my 04 Durango home in 10, I was surprised to see that the OEM air filter was still in place. This was at 53K. I imagine the previous owner might have paid for it, but somehow it never got done. I don't take anything for granted with auto sales or repair places these days..........

Don

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I did a not so maintenance oriented thing today..........Ordered a new rear scuff plate for the back of the Durango. The previous owners weren't very careful and the bright panels were all dented. I ordered a new wiper cowl since ours was all warped. Seems that the part is the same but less than 1/4 the price on the 16's. Not so sure why the 15 part# is like 220 bucks and the 16's and up are wayyyy cheaper. I also ordered the SRT hood......... so if anyone is interested in a billet silver normal one I'm your guy. My paint guy is going to paint it for like 220 bucks and that's with materials so I couldn't pass it up. Mama likes this ride so I'm going to do the best to make it awesome for her. It'll be getting new wheels next year since the ones on it totally suck. They are pretty beat up. Must have let their kids clean them with windex or something.......

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't think I've started this thread but I've basically asked all the questions elsewhere. I'm going to condense it. We purchased a 2015 Durango R/T w/towing package, second row buckets, console, napa leather, basically everything you can add I think. What should I be looking at as far as neglected maintenance or any common problems with a durango of this age. These are the things I noticed.....(after I got it home of course). There is an oil smell at rest I can smell through the vents. The only issue I've found was that there was what appears to be burnt oil all the way around the intake manifold. maybe a bit wet where the oil fill is at. That has since been power washed and degreased. Thought the smell went away but it still appears to be there although maybe not as strong. There is/was a clunk drivers side front over bumps. I tighten the l bracket but I swear there is still a noise. Those are the main two things I've noticed so far. There was a noise in the engine compartment but the dealership diagnosed it as a tensioner pulley so that is getting replaced. I noticed squeaks going over significant rolling bumps but they said nothing was worn to safety point. I hate noises! Bushings I'm guessing.

Anyways we do really like it since it'll be exactly what our family needs. I really want to toss some different wheels and tires on it and upgrade to the SRT hood. Trying to decide what order to do that. I was thinking Hellcat replica wheels possibly 22's.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!
2015 Durango RT owner here.

Make sure you have the correct dipstick. Should be 53034186AD. Many had wrong dipstick installed which resulted in overfilling and smoke on startup.

Also, my water pump went at just over 30k miles. Could hear is start going...so be mindful of that (common issue as well)

·
Registered
8 Posts
15DD owner pop your hood on the regular and check around your water pump make sure there is no water residue on or around it. Means it's starting to go

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup water pump just went. Going to have that taken care of next Thursday. I'm out of town so the wife can drive my truck till then.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got a shiny new water pump. Now on to the next fix. I've got a fair amount of squeaking going over bumps. I'm sure it's bushings. Any word out there on how to replace them? Mainly what parts to order. Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2015 Durango RT owner here.

Make sure you have the correct dipstick. Should be 53034186AD. Many had wrong dipstick installed which resulted in overfilling and smoke on startup.

Also, my water pump went at just over 30k miles. Could hear is start going...so be mindful of that (common issue as well)

managed to finally check the dipstick. It's the correct one. I haven't checked the smell since the water pump was replaced so I'll probably look into that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the smell appears to have gone......I'll get the motor a bit warmer but it seems better. Not sure if it was related to the water pump or not but I'll keep an eye on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts