Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - well I finally picked up my new durango hellcat yesterday and i’m over the moon, of course. Had to travel 3 hours to get it. Driving home about 20 minutes in and the battery warning light comes on, then the “battery saver” message. I start watching the voltage and it starts at 13.1, dips down over time to 12.8, but I’m able to make the drive home, warning light on the entire time. No other issues, vehicle seems to be running fine. I called the dealer and they let it sit on the lot, didn’t drive it, so they thought that might be the issue. Any ideas? Think it needs a new battery? Anyone think it may be any other issue? My nearest service center is booked for 2 weeks +. Anyone also have ideas on the best way to get this resolved? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks phx and vice - no i don’t have a voltmeter (yet - sounds like i should get one though!). But if voltage should be above 14 then it seems like I definitely have an issue. I was amazed I was able to make it the 3 1/2 hours home. Super bummed as I just want to drive the new rig. I guess I’ll call dodge service tomorrow am and see if i can’t get squeezed in. Expensive ride so hoping they’d try and fit me in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again all - I think the battery is under the passenger seat right? It looks relatively easy to remove, and I have an autozone I think down the street. Maybe I’ll try that. But I’d really be happy for dodge to help if possible as I’ve done enough walking modest distances with heavy car batteries in my life lol

·
Registered
2020 DDSRT Octane Red, 2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 2021 HD FLHXS
127 Posts
It's a brand new vehicle with a warranty, let a dealership check it over. Your driving it 3 hours home with the voltage steadily dropping says that the battery is (was) good. Taking it to have it tested is only going to tell you that it needs charged and if they do an actual load test, after it's charged, will tell you if it is any good or not.

My bet is that it's either the voltage regulator or the alternator itself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can also test the alternator to make sure it is working correctly. It could be a simple fix and not worth the drive to the dealer being as it would be a full day of driving. What is his time worth? Mine is worth more than going to the dealer for something stupid and wasting a whole day. But that Is just me, to each their own,

·
Registered
117 Posts
Battery is under the passenger seat. I’d pull it and run it to your local auto parts store. They can test it. My local dealer claimed the battery on my Hellcat was good while autozone tested it bad twice. After my charger needed a jump twice they finally decided to change it out. Never had a problem since. If you have a volt meter, you can check the voltage while it’s running to see if your alternator is working properly. Should be over 14v.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again all - I’m wondering if I shouldn’t just drive the 1/4 mile to autozone in the morning if they could test the battery and alternator (if the car will run and start lol). I’ll call the dodge dealer but I’m worried they won’t be able to squeeze me in before dec. 10 which was the time that showed up in the app as first available. I’m hoping they’ll be willing to have me stop in for help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Unless you're going out of pocket, all you are doing by going to autozone is buy peace of mind (for free) that your DDHC will make the 3 hour trip to the dealer.

If the autozone tests come up negative - Aren't you still going to take it to the dealer?
If the autozone tests come up positive - Aren't you still going to take it to the dealer?

Unless you're willing to eat the cost of a new battery at autozone, and their tests indicate that is the issue, what is the point of going to autozone? Whether the cost of a battery is worth 6 hours round trip is entirely up to you. If that is the issue, of course.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Unless you're going out of pocket, all you are doing by going to autozone is buy peace of mind (for free) that your DDHC will make the 3 hour trip to the dealer.

If the autozone tests come up negative - Aren't you still going to take it to the dealer?
If the autozone tests come up positive - Aren't you still going to take it to the dealer?

Unless you're willing to eat the cost of a new battery at autozone, and their tests indicate that is the issue, what is the point of going to autozone? Whether the cost of a battery is worth 6 hours round trip is entirely up to you. If that is the issue, of course.
One thing we all haven’t considered until now is cost of fuel on a 6 hr trip. I would be buying the battery out of pocket and saving miles on the DDHC for a 150-200 dollar battery along with my time. Frustrating still to spend money on a brand new car ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again all for the input - it was very helpful. Fortunately I was able to get it towed into a dealer today. They saw 2 codes, 1 for higher voltage than normal, the other for voltage lower than normal lol, and so the tech diagnosed it that one of the alternator cables was loose. They tightened it up and said it looked all good. It seems fixed, thank god. Finally able to start to enjoy the ridiculousness of the machine. Love it. I swear Dodge takes a sample of diesel and oil from a locomotive and uses that as an in cabin air freshener. Man, it’s great!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks again all for the input - it was very helpful. Fortunately I was able to get it towed into a dealer today. They saw 2 codes, 1 for higher voltage than normal, the other for voltage lower than normal lol, and so the tech diagnosed it that one of the alternator cables was loose. They tightened it up and said it looked all good. It seems fixed, thank god. Finally able to start to enjoy the ridiculousness of the machine. Love it. I swear Dodge takes a sample of diesel and oil from a locomotive and uses that as an in cabin air freshener. Man, it’s great!
Hi @Pondy ,
We're happy to hear that your concern has been resolved by the dealer. Should this or any other concerns return in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Rob
Dodge Cares

Reactions: Pondy
1 - 20 of 23 Posts