Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if my 2021 Dodge Durango Hellcat will automatically learn the TPMS sensors in my new aftermarket wheel set? I ordered the OEM TPMS originally on the vehicle, but I’m not sure if they need to be “programmed” or anything like that? I’m hoping the vehicle will automatically learn and pick up the new sensors. Does anyone know? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I found this:

Sensor Relearn Procedure without a Scan Tool:
1. Inflate all tires to pressure listed on the placard.
2. Let the vehicle sit OFF for a minimum of 20 minutes
3. Drive the vehicle above 15 MPH for at least 10 minutes. The relearn may take from 10 – 35 minutes of driving . The vehicle will learn each sensor ID and turn the TPMS light off .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome. So glad to hear that. Do either of you happen to know the torque specs for the lugs? I'll do a search but would love to get an opinion on that too, if possible. Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have to reprogram them unless you reuse the same ones
Really? These are new OEM TPMS sensors (I did try and get the same item number) and I've heard a few folks suggest that it might happen automatically (other forum post). I didn't want to have to disassemble my original wheel set for the TPMS sensors of course, so bought new ones. Thanks again

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, I put on the new wheels with new TPMS sensors. Jump in the car and there is no warning of any kind. I click over and I can see the tire pressures. I was wondering if the sensors were still reading the other wheels which were sitting next to the car in the garage (I obviously have no idea how TPMS sensors work lol...). But it looks like the car immediately learned the new sensors within minutes. Does anyone know how the sensors work? Are there 4, 1 near each wheel? I was surprised at how easy it was. I just wish the wheel install had been easy otherwise - the fitment on these new wheels was an absolute disaster. Nothing like having to destroy some of the new finish using lug nuts as recommended that just simply don't fit the wheels. What a joke. I couldn't get a 22mm socket in there without trashing the finish on the inside of the wheels. Argh

·
Registered
232 Posts
well, I put on the new wheels with new TPMS sensors. Jump in the car and there is no warning of any kind. I click over and I can see the tire pressures. I was wondering if the sensors were still reading the other wheels which were sitting next to the car in the garage (I obviously have no idea how TPMS sensors work lol...). But it looks like the car immediately learned the new sensors within minutes. Does anyone know how the sensors work? Are there 4, 1 near each wheel? I was surprised at how easy it was. I just wish the wheel install had been easy otherwise - the fitment on these new wheels was an absolute disaster. Nothing like having to destroy some of the new finish using lug nuts as recommended that just simply don't fit the wheels. What a joke. I couldn't get a 22mm socket in there without trashing the finish on the inside of the wheels. Argh
There is one sensor in each wheel. They are connected to the Schrader valve. They measure the pressure inside the tire and transmit it via 433 MHz frequency to a receiver inside the car. Systems on most new vehicles are smart enough to also pick up the distance from the receiver and as such they know which wheel is which. In the past you had to teach the car which wheel was which through a learn procedure or using a TPMS reset tool.

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Audio equipment Electronic instrument Font

Reactions: Pondy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I purchased a thin wall 22 mm socket that has nylon or plastic on the outside of the socket that does not damage the finish on the wheels. Works very well.
Me too! But it wouldn’t even begin to fit the lugs and wheels, so I first pulled off the protective plastic sleeve and it still wouldn’t fit! I finally ended up buying another thin wall 22mm (a 12 point, which I also wasn’t really happy about) which would only fit when jammed in. This, of course, destroyed the finish around ALL of the lugs. No socket was thin enough. The lugs were approved as OK by the wheel company, before I even started so I’m confused. I’m pissed, of course. At least it’s not nasty curb rash but it’s unacceptable. I’m waiting for the company to recommend an acceptable “solution” - it had to be a manufacturer issue. They’re sending a “new set of lugs” but I used what they recommended (McGard) so I can’t imagine it’ll help. The finish is trashed, yes, I could touch it up but it shouldn’t happen this way, at least in my opinion.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Liquid Motor vehicle

Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pardon if I missed it but what wheel and brand? do you have a pic of the whole wheel? Tire rack ships proper lugs and a tool for their orders..
Hi friction - I’m really hoping they’re going to step up and do something to make me feel better about this, so I’ve deliberately left out their name (for now). I actually ordered another set of wheels from them a few years ago and they were great; i had no issues. So far they appear stumped and aren’t sure what happened. They’ve supposedly shipped some other lugs but I’m not at all confident that’ll help in any way. And they haven’t yet offered up a credit, touch up paint, or anything else that might potentially help. I’ll definitely make sure to follow-up, however, if this situation doesn’t get resolved. I think it looks bad, myself.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle White Light Automotive lighting

Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire White Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire White Light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
those seats look tight you would need some tuner type lugs...the mcgards are rather beefy...
I’m sure you’re right. I wish when I’d asked them which lugs to get they hadn’t recommended the mcgards! At least I haven’t curbed the hell out of them. Am I being unreasonable, however? I’ve never had this issue on other wheel sets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts