Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..

This is my first post here. I did search and couldn't find my exact issue, so please excuse if I accidentally double post..

I have a 2019 Durango R/T. It's only 3 weeks old, have about 900 miles on it.

Wed. we had some bad rain. Came out to the DD after work (~6PM), and the radio screen was completely black as if it had no power - completely black, no sort of backlight to it at all. The weird thing is that everything worked. I could "touch" around the screen and you could hear the preset changing, the audible beeps, changing sources, etc. Had full control of the radio from the steering wheel. Bluetooth streaming and calls worked. Plugged in my iphone and the phone recognized the carplay, and was able to start navigation on the phone and it played out through the speakers. If it put the car in reverse, the screen comes on and for a split second I can see the radio just before it goes to the back up camera - which works just fine. Take the DD out of reverse and the screen goes black again as if it had no power. I tried playing with the "screen off" button and that made no difference. Tried turning the DD on/off multiple times, tried with the key, remote start, waited for all of the electronics to go off before turning back on. Also, when you pull the door handle the electronics would "wake" up and it would normally say dodge on the radio, this does not happen either. Drove home 30 min, still nothing.

Thursday morning I started the car and the screen was working normally. Came out of work and again (~6PM) the screen was black. Drove straight to the dealer, rep at the service counter just made me an appt as they were closing up. I asked him to come out to the car just so that he could validate that it was dead and notate it, but he didn't want to send anyone outside. I'm just worried that when I go to the dealer the issue won't be happening and they'll just brush me off.

Its now Friday, and this morning the radio was working normally again. I tried covering the sun / ambient light sensor with my hands and restarted the DD thinking it was tied to that, but it didn't seem to do anything. Went through all of the settings in uconnect and can't find anything that stares out as an issue. Whether or not the radio is in this condition, I can't perform the soft reset by holding in the power and tune buttons for ~10 secs. Not sure if the process is different on the 2019. Also tried pressing the screen on the upper right for 10 secs, that did nothing, found that on another unrelated post somewhere..

I've been out to the car multiple times already and the radio is working just fine. Will see what happens once it gets darker outside.. This is not a lease.. Went out of state chasing the options I wanted. I really like the DD and was happy with it until this all started happening. Hoping that getting it fixed doesn't turn into a fight with the local dealership.

Is there anything that you guys might be able to recommend for me to try when this happens again. I'm at a loss. The screen itself is ok otherwise the reverse camera wouldn't work. I don't think its the harness/connection otherwise that would be more likely to go on/off when I hit bumps in the road, vibrations, etc. Both times it was at night. Was thinking that I might have an issue with water intrusion until it happened the 2nd night and we didn't have any more rain. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for listening..

·
Registered
21Jeep GCL, 18/DDGT, MB: S320, E320, 190E
357 Posts
I would video record it when it happens again in case it works fine when you take to the dealer in your appointment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We had a similar issue coming back from Florida this summer. Screen blacked out for several hours. I tried reset as noted below without success. It did come back on and has not done it since.

Previous post:
2019 Durango R/T with 5,500 miles on it. Driving back to Indiana from Florida vacation. Remote started vehicle while stopped for breakfast. Attempted from phone app, but failed (possibly due to poor cell service in the area). Used FOB to remote start. When we got in the U-Connect screen did not start up. It remained black. The speedometer info screen worked not the 8.4 inch U-Connect screen. You could not tell any of the controls such as temperature, seat vents, etc. Called U-Connect who gave instructions for a soft reset that didn't work and suggested taking to the dealer. About two hours later while driving the screen started up again on its own. We had been using Apple CarPlay most of the trip to use the WAZE app. (Which is incredible if you haven't used it...alerts to police officers ahead, cars on the shoulder, and objects in the roadway. Saved me from hitting several tire treads and potholes by being alert as we approached the area).

We have stoped and started several times on the way home and it seems to be working fine now. I called the dealer I purchased it from but they can't get it in for 10 days.
Has anyone else has similar problems?

U-Connect soft reset instructions per U-Connect:
Vehicle off, Key in ACC position (NOT RUN)
Press and hold virtual assistant (VR) and green phone button on steering wheel for 30 seconds.
Turn to OFF, Open driver door, wait 30 seconds for dash screen to go dark.
Close driver door.
Start vehicle.

Again...this didn't work at the time, but may have helped?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@medicop - Thanks for the instructions.. I tried like hell to reproduce it today and everything is working ok again.. I'm a bit worried, still going to take it to the dealer so that there is a record of it and maybe they can reflash the uconnect or something. I did check and am running the latest software release.

@hamada128 - thanks for the idea. I was so mad at the DD that I didn't think to record it..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Issue happened again on Sat morning (got a video of it).. About an hour later I started the DD and radio was working again. It's been working fine since then. This is very frustrating.

Took the car to the dealer Tues.. I got about 1/2 way through explaining the issue when the service advisor asks if that's the car outside the door, he goes out and says but its working now, nothing I can do, have to come back when its black screen. I told him that I took a video, he says that basically its not good enough. They have to see the issue because if they swap the head unit they will have to eat the costs if there is no issue. Asked him about them resetting it, again reply "its working." After some back and forth (mostly me yelling at this point), he agrees to have the DD taken into the shop to check to see if there is a software update, but "that's all they can do." This back and forth, we can't diagnose if we don't see it, etc was exactly what I was afraid of as it leaves me stuck in the middle. Video made no difference. So somehow I have to get the radio to go blackscreen when it's convinient for them, hopefully next time it happens early enough on a day when the dealer is open.

After taking the DD into the shop they said I was already running the latest version of software. The advisor/tech printed something out, I guess they have some sort of troubleshooter (if this problem, then do that) and there was a section with intermittent resets, which covered blank and frozen screens. Last line basically states that replacing the headunit "may" not resolve the issue and to update to the latest software or have the customer wait for a future software release. It was not a TSB, basically just a printout of whatever tool they use. So dealer says its a known issue and to try coming back in a month to see if there's a new release.

If it happens again I plan on taking it back to the dealer when the radio is in that state so that they can document it or do whatever it is they need to do to be able to fill a warranty claim if it comes down to that. I'm willing to wait for a month, but how often do uconnect updates get released? I have no way of telling if that's just a generic statement in their troubleshooter (which is what I'm assuming) and I'm waiting for no reason, for a fix that will never come. If there's no update soon I guess my only recourse is to call corporate and file a complaint. Sad and frustrating for a car that's 3 weeks old. it's not like a sweater I can just return to target.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our 19 r/t did the same exact thing with less than 1,000 miles on the odometer. Did the soft reset and it was good to go. Then it happened again a few weeks later. Soft reset and back in business. Took it to the dealer and no error codes. Going to wait til it happens again drive straight to the dealer while it’s blacked out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@DestroyerDurangoRT - out of curiosity, do you use carplay/android auto a lot?

I'm still dealing with it. In my case, I think it has something to do with carplay and bluetooth. I used the phone with bluetooth only and I haven't had any issues in about 1 1/2 weeks, going to wait a little longer. Then I plan on turning off the bluetooth on my phone and just using carplay for 2 weeks and see what happens. I think what happens is that when I pull the cable out of my phone the uconnect automatically tries to pair with my phone and starts downloading the contacts, etc.. During that process I'm getting out of the car, uconnect turns off, at which point I think "something" hangs up - It "feels" like a timing issue..

I just upgraded my IOS to the latest version also, so not sure if that could have been part of it - the look of carplay did change slightly with the IOS update (home button options are a little different). I haven't updated my wife's phone yet so that I can test with it once I get through everything else.

This is all me just guessing based on what I noticed whenever it has happened. I haven't been able to get this to happen during convenient :rolleyes: dealer hours - but if it does, going to take it in. If I can figure out whether or not there is a "trigger" then it would make this all easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wife drives the car mostly but she does use the CarPlay and Bluetooth. New iOS as well. Car has about 1400 miles now. We will see if it continues. Kind of annoying but that’s the wonder of technology lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine did the same in first 1000 miles. They are replacing my whole radio. It is on order. It was approved fast too which according to my dealer is a sign this is a known problem. It hasn't come in yet. Been waiting over two weeks now. It happened multiple times to me and the dealer saw it in person. They unplugged it and plugged it back in for a hard reset and it has been stable lately.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was having multiple issues with my radio screen, USB ports, and Bluetooth connectivity. The dealership tried to avoid replacing the radio, even though the tech wanted to replace it. I kept bitching until the service manager came out to see what was going on, and told the service rep to just replace it. Funny thing, while I was waiting for the radio to come in, I started using CarPlay and like it way more than dealing with Bluetooth issues. Even after I got the entire new radio, I still only use CarPlay.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'm willing to wait for a month, but how often do uconnect updates get released? I have no way of telling if that's just a generic statement in their troubleshooter (which is what I'm assuming) and I'm waiting for no reason, for a fix that will never come.
Now don't quote me on this, but there are updates 3-4 times a year AT BEST. An update just came out, and the last one before that was near the beginning of the year if I remember right.

Since the 2018MY, there have been some strange issues with the Uconnect systems, the black screen issue was the biggest ones. I thought they fixed the black screen issue with an update back in the beginning of last year, but it appears to still happen. Not really sure getting a new unit will help or not, as that one could have it's own problems.

And speaking of dealerships and their B.S. I had an issue on my 2018 with my engine fan coming on at high speed for no reason, and while it was running like that I would lose my cold A/C from the vents. No codes, temps were fine, it would just wig out and do this from time to time. This was a problem from October of 2017 when I bought it, and it would do it summer or winter. I went through the same thing you did with the back and forth with a dealership and the DD not doing it while they had it. I almost went through the entire year last year to get it in and fixed, each time it wouldn't do it while they had it. Well, one day it came on, and I just drove it straight to the dealership while it was doing it. They thought they knew what to do to fix it, and told me they would call for an appointment when they received the part they ordered. 2 months later the part came in and they installed it, that was the beginning of this year no less. Well the fan problem came back, and I went right back to square one with them. They wanted to see it do it again even though they knew what it was doing from the last time they saw it happen. They said come back when it does it again in the summer. It was the middle of January when I was there, and they said they couldn't test the A/C. I about lost my crap LOL!

So....I took it to another dealership, and after a couple of times of troubleshooting they fixed it and it never did it again. No arguing, no problems, and no B.S. They actually said they would troubleshoot it as many times as it took to fix it right. I was pretty impressed, and they now get all 3 of my Dodge vehicles for service. Obviously in my case the other dealership was being lazy, and your Uconnect is totally different than a relay which mine turned out to be for my fan problem. Your story just reminded me of how a dealership can be part of the problem.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a prompt today to update the uconnect, hoping that it resolves it and doesn't introduce a bunch of other issues. Played with the radio for about 15 minutes and everything generally seems fine, I guess only time will tell..

@RxNotec - hoping that replacing the radio fixes your issue.

Does anyone know of a good dealer (positive experience) in the NY - Long Island area. I went to "town and country" and wasn't too impressed with the attitude. as @jfire72 said - dealerships can be part of the problem sometimes. frustrating as the sales guy will tickle your balls if thats what it takes to make the sale, and then you have to fight with service to look at/warranty a brand new car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got a prompt today to update the uconnect, hoping that it resolves it and doesn't introduce a bunch of other issues. Played with the radio for about 15 minutes and everything generally seems fine, I guess only time will tell..

@RxNotec - hoping that replacing the radio fixes your issue.

Does anyone know of a good dealer (positive experience) in the NY - Long Island area. I went to "town and country" and wasn't too impressed with the attitude. as @jfire72 said - dealerships can be part of the problem sometimes. frustrating as the sales guy will tickle your balls if thats what it takes to make the sale, and then you have to fight with service to look at/warranty a brand new car.
Mine updated as well and I haven't had any issues yet. Radio still has not come in. Pretty insane to wait this many weeks for a replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so far so good (far the most part).. the radio updated about a month ago, and I just started using the carplay again about 2 weeks ago. The only glitchy things that have happened is that once the media shortcut showed an FM station instead of the XM (which I was tuned to), and once I could not change sources from the steering wheel button. Both issues resolved just by pressing something on the radio manually (changing the station, changing sources, etc). Then it worked/updated normally. That happened post update when using carplay, maybe its a bug from the "fix" but I can deal with this if all I have to do is change the station vs being black screen for some undefined amount of time.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I hope it's cool. I've had my 2017 since July 2017 brand new and never experienced any of these issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our 19 r/t did the same exact thing with less than 1,000 miles on the odometer. Did the soft reset and it was good to go. Then it happened again a few weeks later. Soft reset and back in business. Took it to the dealer and no error codes. Going to wait til it happens again drive straight to the dealer while it’s blacked out.
I have a 2018 Durango that has the same issues. Do you have the steps for the soft reset ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts