Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 2000 Dodge Durango R/T and it has the 5.9. I need to replace a broken thermostat and save the money by doing it myself. Anyone know where I can buy a new thermostat and also if there is a video or instructions on how to locate and replace it? Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,667 Posts
Pretty straightforward. It is right up top.

FSM says you have to move the alternator, but I'm not sure that's true. Maybe someone else here will chime in on that, it's been a while since I poked at a 5.9L (hm, about 10 years in fact.. I've been around here too long..)

They like to leak. Make sure you clean up the mating surfaces really well, and of course use a new gasket. Thermostat goes into the groove, then the gasket goes on top of it, then the neck (which may have a "front" stamped on it, if so make sure that is toward the front of the engine).

I'd probably at least slap in a new upper radiator hose while I was in there, you're gonna be mucking with it anyway.. on an '00, all the radiator and heater hoses should have been replaced at least once already..

...tom

·
Administrator
8,022 Posts
Ask the parts house for a failsafe thermostat. They are a little more expensive, but when they fail, they do it in the open position so that you don't overheat and damage your engine.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Pretty straightforward. It is right up top.

FSM says you have to move the alternator, but I'm not sure that's true. Maybe someone else here will chime in on that, it's been a while since I poked at a 5.9L (hm, about 10 years in fact.. I've been around here too long..)

They like to leak. Make sure you clean up the mating surfaces really well, and of course use a new gasket. Thermostat goes into the groove, then the gasket goes on top of it, then the neck (which may have a "front" stamped on it, if so make sure that is toward the front of the engine).

I'd probably at least slap in a new upper radiator hose while I was in there, you're gonna be mucking with it anyway.. on an '00, all the radiator and heater hoses should have been replaced at least once already..

...tom
I think it is possible to do it without moving the alternator out of the way, but I removed it just to get better access when I replaced my waterpump, thermostat, and bypass hose last summer.

·
Administrator
15,095 Posts
$10 for a Fails-to-Open 180 stat, $1 for a gasket. And hour at your own pace to do a great job, refill any lost coolant with 50/50 Prestone and your done.

I did mine in a White Castle Parking Lot. The story is here, look it up. Worth a read on my efforts at 3AM. Eck!

IndyDurango

·
Administrator
28,310 Posts
And he ate a sack of 12 sliders while doing it!
STEVE

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I took loose the 4 bolts to the AC pump and 1 bolt for the hard line, then slid it forward and gave plenty o' space to access, make sure to get off the old gasket material from intake, I shoved a shop rag in opening to keep the inside passages free from the gasket flakes.

·
Super Moderator
12,667 Posts
Maybe someone else here will chime in on that, it's been a while since I poked at a 5.9L (hm, about 10 years in fact.. I've been around here too long..)
OK, I forgot about the adventures with Dwayne's 5.9L, but that was purely electrical ;)

...tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts