Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just had to exit the highway abruptly as my dashboard notifications went crazy and it felt like my ride was going to explode. From the vibration, lack of control, had to get to come to a stop at the gas station. I went to start it up after a 5 min break and putting it into gear is a nightmare. The whole truck is shaking and making noises that I can't describe. I am including the pics of the dash when I went to start It back up. The notifications went off all the sudden then I got off the road... She did not feel safe so I exited immediately. Any help or thoughts? Thought I was going to hit someone with the lack of control and lack of safety I felt. This has never happened before. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated greatly!!!! Thank you!!!
Gadget Motor vehicle Audio equipment Auto part Font

Motor vehicle Automotive design Gadget Font Display device

Trip computer Vehicle Gauge Car Speedometer

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
Did this happen after you had your oil pan seal replaced or that has not been done yet? IIRC to get to the pan required a lot of disassembly (suspension, front axle...ect) and if the mechanic disconnected the front drive shaft, suspension components they could have either not torqued something down or did not use new bolts that come with thread lock compound. So if the oil pan seal was replaced you need to contact the mechanic that worked on your durango about this new problem.

BTW was the durango still shaking when you came to a stop or only when it was moving? If stopped then it is most likely engine related and seeing that you had an oil seal issue I hope it wasn't related to lack of lubrication.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did this happen after you had your oil pan seal replaced or that has not been done yet? IIRC to get to the pan required a lot of disassembly (suspension, front axle...ect) and if the mechanic disconnected the front drive shaft, suspension components they could have either not torqued something down or did not use new bolts that come with thread lock compound. So if the oil pan seal was replaced you need to contact the mechanic that worked on your durango about this new problem.

BTW was the durango still shaking when you came to a stop or only when it was moving? If stopped then it is most likely engine related and seeing that you had an oil seal issue I hope it wasn't related to lack of lubrication.

It happened while driving and still acting up while parked. I did get the oil gasket replaced and picked it up yesterday. This happened after 20 miles of driving.
I got it towed to a different mechanic. He knows the entire story. So I will update when I hear from him tomorrow. All the lights, or most on my dash came on and it was shaking horribly when I started back up. I'll keep you posted. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It happened while driving and still acting up while parked. I did get the oil gasket replaced and picked it up yesterday. This happened after 20 miles of driving.
I got it towed to a different mechanic. He knows the entire story. So I will update when I hear from him tomorrow. All the lights, or most on my dash came on and it was shaking horribly when I started back up. I'll keep you posted. Thank you for your time.

I wanted to get back to you today! My mechanic messaged me and sent me a picture of an invoice from the dealership that worked on my truck 15 mins before this happened yesterday. This caused the issue and it is being fixed as we speak.
Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
I wanted to get back to you today! My mechanic messaged me and sent me a picture of an invoice from the dealership that worked on my truck 15 mins before this happened yesterday. This caused the issue and it is being fixed as we speak.
Thanks for your reply!
Not seeing the invoice, what was the cause?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Not seeing the invoice, what was the cause?
I tried to include the photo of the invoice sucked into the intake area? They left the actual invoice in my engine area and it shut it all down causing the issue. I think intake is proper term. It's not allowing me to include photo right now...???

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
I tried to include the photo of the invoice sucked into the intake area? They left the actual invoice in my engine area and it shut it all down causing the issue. I think intake is proper term. It's not allowing me to include photo right now...???
Oh the actual invoice paperwork was sucked into the intake?! Geezs that would be a very stupid mistake by the mechanic.

If it got sucked into the air box (before the air filter) it would have just choked off the engine for air. If it actually got sucked into the intake (after the filter) then it could have just blocked the throttle body or worse made it into one of the cylinders where it could have caused damage to the engine, not to mention clogged the catalytic converters.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,264 Posts
Some new bonehead move by a dealership monkey every day.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Like a surgeon leaving a sponge in the patient after an appendectomy... geeze

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
There was a member on the challenger forum that was cleaning his throttle body and intake with rags on his scat. It was late at night and apparently he forgot he left a rag in the intake...started it up and next thing he knew the motor was ruined. IIRC he bent a rod...that was one expensive mistake.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There was a member on the challenger forum that was cleaning his throttle body and intake with rags on his scat. It was late at night and apparently he forgot he left a rag in the intake...started it up and next thing he knew the motor was ruined. IIRC he bent a rod...that was one expensive mistake.
Oh my goodness. I will update tomorrow after I pick it up for 100% transparency as to what final diagnosis was. The forum is not allowing me to post the pic I want to post. The one the mechanic sent me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like a surgeon leaving a sponge in the patient after an appendectomy... geeze
That's the perfect example of what happened! Exactly!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts