Dodge Durango Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
It might have already been mentioned (I scanned the thread but didn't read every post in detail) but if you want/need a SUV form factor, it might be worthwhile to see what the Jeep Wagoneer (and/or Grand Wagoneer) looks like when it is released later this year. The extra 2800 pounds of towing capability over the R/T might be just enough to get you where you want to be capability-wise. Just throwing it out there...the other suggestions of RAM pickups etc are also excellent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check out 5th gen ram forums. There are several threads about towing and payload. Higher trims drastically reduce payload. I have a Longhorn 4x4 crew cab short box and my payload is just over 1400 pounds. Not great. A diesel 2500 can be optioned up and have a similar very low payload. Depending on how you use it, you might want to look at the gas 2500. Payload is better but can’t tow as much. Also note the Ram heavy duty trucks don’t have the redesigned cabins yet. I think that’s coming up for 2022.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It might have already been mentioned (I scanned the thread but didn't read every post in detail) but if you want/need a SUV form factor, it might be worthwhile to see what the Jeep Wagoneer (and/or Grand Wagoneer) looks like when it is released later this year. The extra 2800 pounds of towing capability over the R/T might be just enough to get you where you want to be capability-wise. Just throwing it out there...the other suggestions of RAM pickups etc are also excellent.
Thanks @Vee8Thunder, I had a look at that and it looks like a potential option, although no payload was mentioned in any article I could find. So I suspect they won’t know until later.

3/4 ton pickup with long wheelbase is going to be way more capable, especially in bad conditions; hills, sidewinds, semi truck traffic
Depending on how you use it, you might want to look at the gas 2500. Payload is better but can’t tow as much. Also note the Ram heavy duty trucks don’t have the redesigned cabins yet. I think that’s coming up for 2022.
The 2500 is definitely an option. Hopefully I can find one to test drive. They’ve been a bit rare around these parts lately. I actually don’t even mind the older cabin - it has aged well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Heh… just for fun, I had a look at the new Durango R/T with Tow n Go, because if I had a choice I’d continue towing with a D forever. 🙂 It looks like it’s touted as having a boosted tow capacity > 8000 lbs, but the payload is still 1200?! Even with my older 2018 R/T, any tow weight close to the max 7200 lbs tow capacity would reduce payload enough that you could only bring one passenger. I guess at this point it’s a marketing contest for who has the highest number, usable or otherwise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Heh… just for fun, I had a look at the new Durango R/T with Tow n Go, because if I had a choice I’d continue towing with a D forever. 🙂 It looks like it’s touted as having a boosted tow capacity > 8000 lbs, but the payload is still 1200?! Even with my older 2018 R/T, any tow weight close to the max 7200 lbs tow capacity would reduce payload enough that you could only bring one passenger. I guess at this point it’s a marketing contest for who has the highest number, usable or otherwise.

From what I can tell its marketed more towards people who want the SRT features, but have other cars that they can dump money into for power...perhaps to tow your race car to the track etc. Not sure what they can do to increase payload, only difference I see from its two bigger HP brothers is the engine and the gearing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
From what I can tell its marketed more towards people who want the SRT features, but have other cars that they can dump money into for power...perhaps to tow your race car to the track etc. Not sure what they can do to increase payload, only difference I see from its two bigger HP brothers is the engine and the gearing.
And maybe the rear axle weight limit. I think it’s still at 3900 lbs, which is really easy to max out, and I suspect it’s the main culprit. Even the Ram 1500 has a rear axle weight limit of 4100lbs.

·
Registered
764 Posts
And maybe the rear axle weight limit. I think it’s still at 3900 lbs, which is really easy to max out, and I suspect it’s the main culprit. Even the Ram 1500 has a rear axle weight limit of 4100lbs.
SRT and TNG get a slight boost to 3,940 lbs rear GAWR.

Yes the Ram 1500 is 4,100 lbs but remember that it has less unloaded weight over the rear axle. Pickup truck weight distribution is about 60/40 vs the Durango’s 50/50.

·
Registered
764 Posts
With our TT loaded to ~6,500 lbs I was always right around 3,900 lbs on the Durango. Same setup on the Ram and it’s only 3,600 lbs. Lots more headroom to stay under GAWR

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
SRT and TNG get a slight boost to 3,940 lbs rear GAWR.

Yes the Ram 1500 is 4,100 lbs but remember that it has less unloaded weight over the rear axle. Pickup truck weight distribution is about 60/40 vs the Durango’s 50/50.
Good point, I forgot because it’s a pickup truck, the bed isn’t going to have passenger weight directly on it.

With our TT loaded to ~6,500 lbs I was always right around 3,900 lbs on the Durango. Same setup on the Ram and it’s only 3,600 lbs. Lots more headroom to stay under GAWR
That was my experience last time I weighed in. With a trailer loaded to 4000 lbs only, but with the D loaded up with 2 kids and 2 adults (including the driver), the rear axle weight was exactly at 3900 lbs. with WDH engaged.

On a bit of a tangent, our hitch weight was 980 lbs, which is nuts for a trailer only loaded to 4000 lbs., yet we had only ~200lbs of cargo loaded into the front of the TT (plus battery and propane). The Apex Nano 208BHS seems a bit front-heavy for its overall weight. If I could move that 200lbs somewhere else, it might help out. I’m not sure where though, because it seems anything I put further back on the TT affects towability, in that it starts causing actual initial sway rather than just the odd jostle. The WDH keeps it from turning into full-blown sway, but still.

In any case, hopefully the small adjustment I made to the WDH yesterday will help with our next camping trip, and in the meantime, the hunt for a higher payload TV continues.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Good point, I forgot because it’s a pickup truck, the bed isn’t going to have passenger weight directly on it.

That was my experience last time I weighed in. With a trailer loaded to 4000 lbs only, but with the D loaded up with 2 kids and 2 adults (including the driver), the rear axle weight was exactly at 3900 lbs. with WDH engaged.

On a bit of a tangent, our hitch weight was 980 lbs, which is nuts for a trailer only loaded to 4000 lbs., yet we had only ~200lbs of cargo loaded into the front of the TT (plus battery and propane). The Apex Nano 208BHS seems a bit front-heavy for its overall weight. If I could move that 200lbs somewhere else, it might help out. I’m not sure where though, because it seems anything I put further back on the TT affects towability, in that it starts causing actual initial sway rather than just the odd jostle. The WDH keeps it from turning into full-blown sway, but still.

In any case, hopefully the small adjustment I made to the WDH yesterday will help with our next camping trip, and in the meantime, the hunt for a higher payload TV continues.
When I was looking to replace my Durango it came down to two choices for me. Expedition Max and Ram 1500

The Expedtion Max is the best towing SUV by numbers with max tow pkg.

7,760 lbs GVWR, 4,380 lbs rear GAWR, 15,300 lbs GCWR, ~1700 lbs payload

GM stopped making the 3/4 ton Suburban and Yukon XL years ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OP, listen to IvoryHemi, he has "been there done that". He and I have/had the same Limited 1500's, I just sold mine a couple months ago and had a 1476# payload. The RAM is often a bit low on payload as compared to Ferd and GM but the ride is better (of course).

You have to decide what you want in an unladen ride for all the time you are not towing. A gas 2500, while a great TV with plenty of payload, will ride rough and generally be worse on fuel.

The other main advantage of any longer truck is the wheelbase gives you a more stable towing platform. '

So in all, 250+ lbs of payload plus the increased stability = a better towing experience.

If you get a 1500, the 3.21 gears will handle your trailer (and most any up to say 7K weight) just fine and is easier on gas. Mine got 22 mpg highway over 13K miles, and it was a fairly loaded limited hemi non-ET.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts