Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Dodge Durango has the fancy 8.4 UConnect Navigation system. If the autozoom feature is turned on, the screen zooms in to maximum detail at the very first intersection it encounters - and it NEVER zooms back out to the scale setting I originally entered. No matter how small and insignificant the intersection, it immediately zooms in and stays there. This happens both when I have entered a destination, and even when no destination has been entered at all. This renders the NAV system functionally useless.

Over the past summer I randomly approached owners of the same Durango year and model, and asked them to describe how their 8.4 UConnect worked. None of them had that problem, and all were astonished when I described my system's odd behavior. (I stopped counting my interviews when I hit thirty, but continued talking to other owners all summer long.)

The Durango has been to the dealer five times for this issue, and each time software updates have been installed, but to no avail. Dodge Corporate has now officially advised the dealer that the system is "operating as designed". If this is indeed true, the NAV is of no use, and I have reached a dead end as far as Dodge is concerned. My workaround has been to take my 10 year old, cheap Garmin Nuvi, stick it up on the dash, and ignore the UConnect system entirely.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and do you know of a specific fix?

·
Registered
2014 Durango Limited V-6 / AWD
1,204 Posts
If you turn off autozoom, can you control the zoom level? I usually keep autozoom off and zoom it myself, since it never seems to zoom where I want it, but I've never seen that behavior when I've had autozoom turned on. BTW, on my 15 year old Garmin Nuvi, I manually zoomed it too, never really been a fan of autozoom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you turn off autozoom, can you control the zoom level? I usually keep autozoom off and zoom it myself, since it never seems to zoom where I want it, but I've never seen that behavior when I've had autozoom turned on. BTW, on my 15 year old Garmin Nuvi, I manually zoomed it too, never really been a fan of autozoom.
Thank you for your comment. Yes, with autozoom turned off, I can manually change the zoom/scale setting. Of course, this always requires taking my eyes off the road to do so, which is not the greatest safety feature. And if autozoom does not work correctly, what is the point of having it? Why did the manufacture even include it? (It's kind of like your TV isn't working correctly, so the TV dealer recommends you turn it off and not watch the TV!)

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
That's how autozoom works...you can zoom out for a quick look with a wider view of the area...but it will "auto" zoom back in after a few seconds. Its made to be used in city driving where you typically want it on the tightest scale.
If you want it on a set scale..turn it off.

·
Registered
2014 Durango Limited V-6 / AWD
1,204 Posts
Since I don't usually use AutoZoom, I took a look at it tonight. When you go into your settings, do you see these options for AutoZoom? If you do, and it's set for "Near", that may be why it keeps zooming in like that. I set it to Near, then manually zoomed way out, and within 30 seconds or so, it zoomed in to a tight map view. Check the other settings and see if the behavior is more to your liking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts