Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Gents,

We have some 2021 Durango police interceptors and all of them are having an issue where after a start up and cool down (we start it in the day, but then shut it off for a bit and turn it back on) they crank but won't start until we stop the cranking process then start it again.

our 2020s don't do this, but all 2021s do...

Any idea what is going on?

We asked the dealer and was told this is a "security feature" and key has to be paired with lock/unlock which imo is bs and doesn't work anyways.

any suggestions as to what it can be?

here is a video of the issue

·
Registered
2021 RT TnG
28 Posts
I am having a problem as well with starting on my 2021 Durango RT TNG. It hasn't ever not started, however in the 1,500 miles I have had it there have been about 5-6 very long starts which took about 5-7 seconds of cranking before it started. I was just in the dealer yesterday and they scanned for codes and did not see any, so not sure what is wrong at this point.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Hello Gents,

We have some 2021 Durango police interceptors and all of them are having an issue where after a start up and cool down (we start it in the day, but then shut it off for a bit and turn it back on) they crank but won't start until we stop the cranking process then start it again.

our 2020s don't do this, but all 2021s do...

Any idea what is going on?

We asked the dealer and was told this is a "security feature" and key has to be paired with lock/unlock which imo is bs and doesn't work anyways.

any suggestions as to what it can be?

here is a video of the issue

I agree the 'security feature' answer is BS. unless there is something specific only to the Pursuit. but even that doesn't logically make sense to me.

I've had my 2021 for 2 months and 2,200+ miles and never experienced this on mine.

do the interceptors have Remote Start functionality? if so, does this happen with RS or in vehicle starting? or both?

Reactions: Ollie Crow

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It happens with the door opened or closed. Most of us notice it when we try to get going and door is closed.

There is a security feature where you have to press a button to lock the column shifter to pull it out of park, but that's only when car is running.

and it's not much of a security feature if all you have to do is stop the engine start process and press the button again.

Pretty sure it's something computer/ignition/fuel related.

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Durango
397 Posts
if this is happening to your entire fleet i would suggest it has to do with the installers for the gear in the vehicle...something is not programed correctly....you should contact your fleet manager and have a unit sent to a dealer to see what they can come up with and also send the same unit either before or after the dealer to the installers....please keep in mind when these units get sent out to be fitted for gear ...pretty much everything gets stripped out and rewired.

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Absolutely not right! Emergency vehicles need to start when needed. Could be an upfitting issue, or a quirk with a particular run of cars. If the dealer continues to fail to address it, I'd reach out directly to the Dodge fleet folks. Dealers in small towns, many times, are not familiar with the LE cars, and don't understand the differences between them and the regular Durangos.

Don

Reactions: Ollie Crow

·
Registered
2021 Durango R/T Tow & Go
8 Posts
I am having a problem as well with starting on my 2021 Durango RT TNG. It hasn't ever not started, however in the 1,500 miles I have had it there have been about 5-6 very long starts which took about 5-7 seconds of cranking before it started. I was just in the dealer yesterday and they scanned for codes and did not see any, so not sure what is wrong at this point.

Same with my 2021 Durango RT TNG, Have had a few instances of long starts. Yesterday was the first time for me where I hit the button and it tried and failed to start, and stayed with the ignition in "on". I then hit the button again immediately after, and it started right up. Seems to be very hit or miss but I have noticed it is happening with more frequency, which is worrying. I have owned the car since new, bought it last April, and has just over 12K on the clock. Starting issues on a car this new is worrying, to say the least. All of the times have been with the door closed. The inconsistency in occurrence and duration of the crank time leads me to think this is not a "safety feature" I am also calling BS on dealers saying that is a cause.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have the same thing happening on our 2021! Has this issue been figured out?? Been fighting with dodge dealership for 2 months now and they can’t find the issue. Happens with the door shut or closed.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,387 Posts
Umm, shut and closed are the same thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the same exact issue with my 2021 Dodge Durango that I am currently leasing (only 8k miles) been in and out of the shop now 4 times and the issue keeps occurring! Dealership keeps "fixing" the part but within days its back to cranking again. It does not happen every time I start the vehicle up but it does it often. I am getting very frustrated being the car is brand new. Has the issue been figured out yet on anyone else end!?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,387 Posts
No one has had the fuel pump replaced yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
ng the same exact issue with my 2021 Dodge Durango that I am currently leasing (only 8k miles) been in and out of the shop now 4 times and the issue keeps occurring! Dealership keeps "fixing" the part but within days its back to cranking again. It does not happen every time I start the vehicle up but it does it often. I am getting very frustrated being the car is brand new. Has the issue been figured out yet on anyone else end!?
I continue to have the same issue with long starts, been to the dealer twice with no resolution. Seems very concerning so many 21's are having this issue?
Do you own or lease your Durango? What is your dealership saying? I just don't know what to do at this point or what my options are. I am basically paying a $450 lease payment on a car that Is in the shop! The dealer has witnessed the problem and I also have the issue recorded multiple times on my phone but when I take it in the "fix" it and say that it starts up just fine and of course within a few days its back to doing it.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts