Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first, it is NOT LEAKING OR BURNING OFF, just wanted to get that out of the way. I start the truck and for the first few seconds-minutes, it runs fine. Then the oil light comes on and pressure drops to 0. So you get out to check the oil and it there is none on the stick. Wait for 10-15 minutes, and the oil is back in the oil pan just like before.

Now, before anyone says something like get a new engine, etc... that is not happening, this truck saved my family's ass during Harvey, and so it gets whatever it needs. It WILL be fixed even if I have to go to retarded lengths to get it done.

Now, I pulled the plenum expecting to find a bunch of oil there because of blockage of the 2 massive drains there. NOPE. probably the cleanest part of the engine. (I had to tear it pretty far down after Harvey due to running it without oil because the pump died. I had no choice but to run it.) I have changed the plenum gasket, and scrubbed the hells out of the metal and vacuumed out all the old scaley/burned oil. I plugged the drains with plastic to keep crap out of my oil pan. (NEVER EVER WANT TO CHANGE THAT OIL PUMP AGAIN! PURE HELL!)

So since it was not a plugged drain, I removed the driver side valve cover and inspected the valves. They were mostly dry, and there was a lot of burned oil on the rockers and everything else there.

I then took the #1 cylinder and removed the hollow rods and checked them for blockage. They were clear suprizingly. I pulled the spark plug and the rods from it, and cranked the engine to test to see if oil came out of the valve base in the Plenum. Nothing. Not a damned drop.

So, where the hell is my oil going??? It goes up, then it takes a vacation, then it all comes back down like nothing happened. Not short a drop so far as I can tell. It has to be SOMEWHERE and it has made a LOT of oil disappear like that. (I thought it was a leak so I overfilled the hell out of it by mistake and had to replace the crank seal as a result. Oops!)

I am open to suggestions, but NOT to getting a new engine or truck. This is my baby and I will not replace it.

Vehicle 1999 Durango 5.2 4wd
Related work: Replaced oil pump; replaced Plenum gasket,
Related problems: Drove it 30 miles at 60 mph with no oil in it before (Harvey); lots of burned oil residue
Things I have tried: I have dumped in 6 quarts of Marvel Mystery Oil, started it and ran it for a few minutes and then killed it about 6-10 times over the course of several hours. I hoped that it was just scale deposits of burned oil and that the MMO would dissolve it. In fairness, though I did not run it for long, it did not have the oil pressure drop after the first time. Then I drained it and replaced it with 5w20 and the pressure dropped to 0 after just 2-3 blocks of driving. YAY. Not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*****UPDATE*****
SO! I was checking a theory as to WHERE the oil goes. The bottom of my Plenum is coated in oil. I am pretty sure that is WHERE it is going, but what is keeping it there? Could it be vacuum? Could it be pressure from the crank case? Not sure. BUT I run only 5w20 synthetic in my engine and it is pretty damned thin, so I would think that it would take a lot to hold it there.

I checked the plenum gasket and it looked intact. In the morning when I have more light I will put some fluid in it and see if it leaks anywhere. (Something thin like brake cleaner or carb cleaner.)

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Just so I understand...you're saying with the truck cold before start-up the oil dip stick is showing full and then after start up oil pressure will drop to zero and you then check the oil dip stick and it shows no oil...but then you wait and the oil is back showing full???

·
Administrator
8,022 Posts
You don't tell us what year or what engine, but from your talk about pulling the plenum I believe it is a 5.2/5.9 engine. When you tore the engine down after Harvey, did you happen to drive a plug out of the port that runs from the oil sender to the crank case? If you moved it or drove it out your oil won't get to the upper half of the engine. There is a specific distance it has to be driven into that port for the oil to flow properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts