Dodge Durango Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have a 2014 Citadel with the HID lights that had both headlight assemblies replaced due to constant moisture causing the bulbs to prematurely burn out. Driver's side went out at two years and was replaced under the standard warranty. The passenger's side went out just outside the three year warranty expiration and was replaced under the MaxCare Lifetime warranty ($100 deductible). There wasn't any fix for it from the dealer, just straight replacement of the whole light fixture - expensive, but warranty covered it both times.

NOTE: If you have the HID light assembly replaced, make sure your dealer knows how to calibrate the lights so the automatic leveling works again. We encountered one dealer who (claimed they) knew nothing about this and had our headlights aimed at the ground and were shining no further than 10 feet in front of the vehicle. They tried to say the headlight units were replaced to spec and there was nothing they could do about it. Being a major safety issue when driving at night, we contacted the manufacture's customer service directly and they got us in touch with another nearby dealer that could fix the issue. The second dealer knew exactly what was needed and fixed it in under 10 minutes (basically hooking it up to a diagnostic tool to initialize and calibrate the new unit so the auto leveling would work again).

In addition to the headlights, the portion of the taillight that goes across the tailgate is also collecting water now (at 4.5 years) and has had a few bulbs burn out in the lower right side. We are having it replaced under the MaxCare Lifetime warranty (another $100 deductible). Again, no fix for that, they are just replacing the entire assembly.

We didn't have a problem getting any of these lights covered due to moisture/water, the manufacture and both dealers knew about the issue and it went straight to warranty each time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2015 Durango and the seal on one headlamp is definitely bad. We did have a lot of rain this year but the lamp has never dried out. It's always wet inside. I will need to replace it. OMG....dealer price $1000. Are you kidding me? I will see about buying an OME one and doing it myself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2015 Durango and the seal on one headlamp is definitely bad. We did have a lot of rain this year but the lamp has never dried out. It's always wet inside. I will need to replace it. OMG....dealer price $1000. Are you kidding me? I will see about buying an OME one and doing it myself.
Sheesh I just got a new Durango , maybe I better get a Maxcare extended if a simple headlight enclosure is 1000 to say nothing about what those racetrack tail lamps must cost , though they look cool ! :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just dropped off my truck for moisture / water in my headlight and the service girl tells me right off the bat that it's not covered under lifetime maxcare warranty. She said she'll discuss it with her manager & call me back, has anyone had this issue using Mopar warranty?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Just dropped off my truck for moisture / water in my headlight and the service girl tells me right off the bat that it's not covered under lifetime maxcare warranty. She said she'll discuss it with her manager & call me back, has anyone had this issue using Mopar warranty?
Maxcare does not cover “Glass, Plastic Lenses and Light Bulbs.” If you can prove the lens didn’t fail they should cover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just got a call from Dodge and they said Mopar max care won't replace my headlight. There is water in my headlight not just a foggy headlight and they think this is ok? I could've sworn guys on here had this is resolved with this warranty. Any help would be appreciated on who I can speak to about this. Thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
Maxcare does not cover “Glass, Plastic Lenses and Light Bulbs.” If you can prove the lens didn’t fail they should cover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry just noticed I missed your response. I just got done talking to maxcare warranty rep and he stated the exact same thing. When I bought my warranty they told me this plan is like have the 3 year/36k mile warranty but unlimited miles and years. Just mad that I got lied to.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sorry just noticed I missed your response. I just got done talking to maxcare warranty rep and he stated the exact same thing. When I bought my warranty they told me this plan is like having the 3 year/36k mile warranty but unlimited miles and years. Just mad that I got lied to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry just noticed I missed your response. I just got done talking to maxcare warranty rep and he stated the exact same thing. When I bought my warranty they told me this plan is like have the 3 year/36k mile warranty but unlimited miles and years. Just mad that I got lied to.
That's bull , the dealer needs to go to bat for you I know a lot of people that have those racetrack taillights replaced under maxcare . They are not technically a normal bulb , it is a whole assembly . If they cant make something that is SUPPOSED to last the life of the vehicle more reliable than this then they need to go back to normal easy to change bulbs and lenses . I see very few issues with the pre-14 taillights . This also goes for the headlights , if these projectors which dont seem to light for you know what better then go back to the tried and true 4 headlight setup of the 11-13 years . They have to be losing a fortune saying nothing about their crap reliability rating over this . They need to look no further than this issue to see what the problem is with reliability image .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone know if the issues with condensation in the headlights, and/or water in the taillights has been fixed or addressed for 2020 models? I am looking to possibly pull the trigger on a 2020 RT, but am hesitant with these known issues which seems like affects almost all the owners. Especially since the new MOPAR warranties exclude replacement of "lenses". A set of headlights, tail light, or both could be pretty costly out of pocket and this is likely going to be an 8 year vehicle for me. Just trying to make some educated decisions prior to purchase.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I believe a division of Hyundai actually makes the durango headlights...not sure about the tail. Seems like this is like a a roll of the dice.
As an example, I've not had any issues with my '14 with water ingress.
I wonder if its more likely to occur with headlamps if the bulb has been replaced? Maybe the dust cap is not providing a good seal? Or dirt blocking the vent? Small crack in headlamp?

61 - 76 of 76 Posts