Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an Aspen Trail LE 17BH travel trailer to tow behind by 2018 DD R/T AWD. The trailer has a GVWR of 3850# with an axle rating of 3500#. So if fully loaded, I will have a minimum of 350# of tongue weight and probably closer to 450-500#. I am aware of the rear axle weight limitations as well as the impact of stuffing the back of the DD, and will include all that in my weight calcs.

My issue is that the RV dealer installed a Blue Ox TrackPro weight distributing hitch on my trailer that has a tongue weight rating of 1000#. This is way overkill, right? I've never towed with a WDH before. I am thinking something with 600# max spring bars would be much more in line with what I'm towing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What kills me is that I already had purchased an 800# WDH and decided not to use it because I thought it was overkill. So I begrudgingly paid the RV dealership $650 to install one that was matched to the trailer. Then they went and slapped on a 1000# unit. So now I'm into two WDH systems at about $1000, both of which are NOT what I need. FML....

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have an Equalizer E4 with 1k bars for my trailer (7,000 lb GVWR). The Durango is not an ideal TV for a TT, so I don’t think you can be over cautious.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You might contact the dealer and ask if there are 600# bars available for that hitch. Most of the time, there's one hitch head and multiple weight bars. It looks like the travel trailer is about 3000# dry with a 390# dry tongue weight. Even fully loaded to it's 3850# GVW, I doubt the tongue will go over 600#.

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, I got my travel trailer outfitted the way I want it it and loaded it up with gear. I went to a local truck stop and weighed it on the CAT scale there. I did two weighs, one with the trailer and weight distribution hitch connected and one with the Durango alone (WDH ball mount was left in the trailer in the parking lot). Here are my figures:

I added weight of my family, our 'car stuff', and a large cooler to the DD axle weights and bump right up against the drive axle limit. The cooler may have to ride in the TT, right over the axle as I don't want to add any more tongue weight.

I think I need to interpret the tongue weight value I show above as artificially low as the weight distributing hitch was doing its thing. I probably should have done a third weigh with the spring bars detached to see what my true tongue weight is. I suppose I can do that with a bathroom scale and a 2x4 to get a close approximation...

All that said, anything else I want to bring along will have to go in the trailer, at or close behind the axle. I do have a rear cargo compartment that is relatively empty, so that may be the way to go.

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just weighed the tongue using a 4x4 and a scale for 4:1 scale to actual tongue weight. Came in at 640#. Yikes. I am going to need to move some weight rearward in this trailer.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Your numbers are slightly off because you weighted the Durango solo without the WDH. You then included that WDH weight in your tongue and trailer total.

The WDH doesn’t count as tongue weight.

So estimate 75 lbs for WDH. That would bring your total trailer weight down to 3,705 and put TW at 485 lbs (13%). Pretty spot on.

Measuring on a bathroom scale doesn’t tell you how the WDH has distributed weight. So don’t fret at the 640, you don’t want to move too much weight backwards

If your estimate on the scale of 640 minus actual rear axle weight of 485 lbs = 155 lbs remaining.

Of that 155 lbs you could have 100 lbs being sent to the front axle and 55 lbs back to the trailer axle.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I just weighed the tongue using a 4x4 and a scale for 4:1 scale to actual tongue weight. Came in at 640#. Yikes. I am going to need to move some weight rearward in this trailer.
Here is what I was trying to explain above. This was my Durango.

weigh 1: 5820 lbs GVW
weigh 2: 6780 lbs GVW (WDH bars disconnected) = 960 lbs tongue weight
weigh 3: 6640 lbs GVW (WDH engaged) = 820 lbs tongue weight

you can see from weigh 2 to weigh 3 exactly how the WDH redistributed weight, it shifted 500 lbs off the rear axle sending 360 lbs to the front axle and 140 lbs back to the trailer axles.. getting me under the 3,900 lbs GAWR

E6321824-4D7A-4771-8793-588B28C68948.jpeg

B147392B-5E58-4B43-B3CC-48EA1C68F16B.jpeg

D7574968-9ED4-42B3-89EA-31026A0993F7.jpeg

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I weighed my setup fully loaded with family and gear on the way home from our very local Memorial Day camping trip. I am 60# over on the rear axle and 120# over on the trailer axle. Definitely going to have to leave some stuff at home on our next trip as I plan to add a ~80# cooler that we didn't take this time...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts