Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just picked up my 14' Durango SXT and would like to pick up a safe/lock box that would fit in the rear compartment behind the third row. I would like something that fills the entire space as I have some larger items that I would like to be able to secure all in one place. Preferably looking for something with a top hinged lid so that I can bolt it down and still get in to it. Any ideas, suggestions or links would be appreciated. Also I would not be opposed to having one custom built if you guys know anyone. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
371 Posts
What if you get a flat tire? AAA? Seems like a security box bolted down would preclude access to the tire release panel. I don't have a '14, so maybe it's different.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you have the Alpine subwoower system? If not you could use the space that would be used for that as your lock box? Other than that get a shop that builds sub boxes to build you a box.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The jack is in a compartment to the front of that area, and yes you still need to access the bottom (pull up the mat), to release the spare.

So bolting something in the area seems like a bad idea, plus the bottom of that is not even close to level, not even 1 corner or side, the whole thing is kind of rounded.
Kind of annoying when you're trying to put something flat in there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thank you for the input. The dealer failed to tell me about the spare and I failed to ask. i knew it was a bottom mount, didn't realize I have to unlock it from up top. Guess I will be looking for a removable locking box. Thanks again.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It might not be feasible depending on the size and weight of the box you want, but you can make all kinds of crazy stuff with angle iron and a hack saw. If the box you need is, say, half the height from the floor to the ceiling, you could put a box on a frame, bolt the frame to the D and attach some roller tracks and some kind of latch device to hold the lifted box in place while accessing the spare tire panel. The picture below is very ghetto, but it gets the point across:

custom_tool_box-4.jpg

It's just a thought and you sounded so disappointed. Lately I've been watching metal-working vids (DIY tire racks specifically) on Youtube and this problem sparked the budding engineer in me. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,804 Posts
What sort of geometry do you need to lock up?

What sort of perpetrator are you looking to lock against?

we might be able to crowd-source some hair(hare?)-brained ideas here ;)

Attachments

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
By his name I am guessing Weapon of some sort.
So tell us what you need to hide and lock up and we will help you out
STEVE

·
Registered
173 Posts
How about the glove compartment? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FSTDANGO is on the right track. The items I'm am looking to secure will all fit in the storage well behind the third row. I think I will have something custom made to fit in there , when I do I will post some pics and let you know how it works out. Thanks again!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Looks like a great place to stash some undeclared cash

·
Registered
351 Posts
Cab drivers, housekeepers, gardner. I see it almost everyday during tax season.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts