Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched all over and cannot find this.

Looking for the steering wheel (chrome trim) that is on the airbag. I pulled mine off because I wanted to sand down and paint it flat black and it bent.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

-Chris

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,099 Posts
Got a picture of this part?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I can't help you with the OEM number, but I did come across these which may interest you:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Booky, Thank you. Yes I know these vinyl covers exist but they just don't look as good (in my opinion) as the oem piece when you sand it down and paint it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been looking for the same, I wanted to pop mine off but I wasn't sure how it was mounted or the ability to get it back on. I don't believe the trim ring is sold separately, it comes as part of the airbag cover...

Driver Air Bag - Mopar (6DR651Z7AB)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My buddy who is a service manager at Dodge is going to check for me otherwise I will just get an all satin black one from rebadge design. I spoke with the owner and he said that his is made to replace the trim instead of going over it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My buddy who is a service manager at Dodge is going to check for me otherwise I will just get an all satin black one from rebadge design. I spoke with the owner and he said that his is made to replace the trim instead of going over it.
Cool... Can't wait to see how it looks.. How did you get yours off? Is it just glued/taped on?

·
Registered
247 Posts
You can’t purchase just the chrome trim. You need to purchase the entire airbag assembly unless you can find an aftermarket part but those don’t fit like OEM. The chrome trim ring is supposed to be flexible so when the airbag deploys it will break at two different locations.

I took mine off the airbag assembly and plastidipped it black. You have to take the airbag assembly off the steering wheel and break it down to remove the trim ring otherwise if you try to pry it off it will break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Look at post #85 & #87
2016 R/T - awehlage’s build

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool... Can't wait to see how it looks.. How did you get yours off? Is it just glued/taped on?
It pulls right off pretty easily, but as awehlage stated if you pull it off without properly taking the airbag assembly off it will not be able to be reused.

I plan on picking up an SRT steering wheel at some point, but figured I would play around a little. Had to buy different sets of the CF pieces from two different vendors as the weaves were different between the side and bottom trim pieces that came in each set. I don't know how nobody checks this crap.

In any case I think it looks pretty good for a quick "looks upgrade". Ordered a satin all black steering wheel trim from Rebadge to replace the chrome trim that I pulled off.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It pulls right off pretty easily, but as awehlage stated if you pull it off without properly taking the airbag assembly off it will not be able to be reused.

I plan on picking up an SRT steering wheel at some point, but figured I would play around a little. Had to buy different sets of the CF pieces from two different vendors as the weaves were different between the side and bottom trim pieces that came in each set. I don't know how nobody checks this crap.

In any case I think it looks pretty good for a quick "looks upgrade". Ordered a satin all black steering wheel trim from Rebadge to replace the chrome trim that I pulled off.
View attachment 110235
Make sure you post pictures of that new trim piece from rebadge designs of the whole piece (front and back) please!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^ I will. Spoke with the owner of ReBadge Designs and he said his is made to replace the trim piece and not go over it so I'm optimistic.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For those who asked.....here is a pic of the finished steering wheel and a pick of the rebadge horn trim before install. The front is bubbled and the back is completely flat with great adhesive.
Came out pretty good. Def better than the stock look.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I’m tired of looking for that part, they don’t make it. I was actually considering replacing it too, they scratch easy, enough stress.

·
Registered
247 Posts
For those who asked.....here is a pic of the finished steering wheel and a pick of the rebadge horn trim before install. The front is bubbled and the back is completely flat with great adhesive.
Came out pretty good. Def better than the stock look.

View attachment 110547

View attachment 110548
Don’t see the steering wheel trim in black on the website. Have a link or information on how to purchase? Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Call or send email to the owner Nathan. He will make it any color you want. I asked for satin black.

·
Registered
209 Posts
@OP or any member that can help, I need that part replaced. What I discovered was the top coat is like a clear coat sprayed on. Mine started peeling off. So I looked and found some spray clear coat bottles.

How do I pull this steering thing out without damaging anything?
Help

·
Registered
247 Posts
@OP or any member that can help, I need that part replaced. What I discovered was the top coat is like a clear coat sprayed on. Mine started peeling off. So I looked and found some spray clear coat bottles.

How do I pull this steering thing out without damaging anything?
Help
You have to take the air bag off the steering wheel and then remove the air bag cover (the part with all the trim pieces) to access the back side to snip all the plastic retainers holding the trim piece and the center badge. If you don’t take it apart and just pry from the front you will break the pieces. If you don’t plan on reusing the original trim pieces, pry away.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ok sir, man thanks for replying. Are there any videos, tutorials? Just to be safe, not damage anything?
I’ll look either way, see what I can come up with, thanks amigo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts