Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to towing so I appreciate all advice. Will soon be purchasing a 2005 Glastron GX 205 Wakeboard edition boat. Specs for the boat w/engine state that it is 3,250 pounds, with the trailer coming in at 933 pounds or less, so a little under 4,200 pounds dry weight. In the vehicle will be an additional cargo weight of 700 pounds, that includes me + family and boating necessities. I will not be storing much additional weight on the boat when towing. I'm from Indiana, so towing will be on mostly flat roads, with occasional hills. No trip is expected to be more than 1.5 to 2 hours away.

I like the 16 or 17 Dodge Durango's for their 6,200 pound towing capacity. Which trim options of these years models Durango's will adequately meet my needs for towing, without damaging the engine/transmission? Will a V6 handle the load I have or is a V8 necessary? From reading other posts, very helpful by the way, I know I need to get the Factory tow package, not the Dealership tow package, with the transmission and engine cooling systems. Outside of the Factory Tow Package, what other equipment would you advise I get to make towing easier on the vehicle and safer for everyone? Which class tow hitch is recommended? Appreciate all feedback! Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The V6 will tow that boat no problem. There are people that tow travel trailers near max GCWR which is 11600lbs; You would be towing/hauling at 10000lbs GCWR so well under.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't forget to add fuel weight at 6 pounds a gallon. That would add as much as 300 pounds for 50 gallons.
Also consider that you may be upgrading your boat after a while- bigger longer heavier. The V8 would give you added flexibility to tow heavier boats in the future.
I think AWD is necessary for slippery boat ramps.
The 2017s have a feature that allows you to check on what you're towing on the rear view camera. It's a nice feature.

·
Registered
93 Posts
And the factory tow package comes with a class IV hitch

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I too think you'll be fine with the V6 which was upgraded in '16? But Hemi has not only more TQ down low, but the heavier duty HP70 transmission.
But its a pretty pricey upgrade unless you can find one used.

For additional towing safety, just make sure your trailer has good working brakes...and preferably on each axle.

·
Super Moderator
12,862 Posts
The V6 with factory tow will be OK.

But the V8 is way better ;)

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Indiana tips the odds for the V6 but another way to look at it is $20-30 a month and more resale value

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indiana tips the odds for the V6 but another way to look at it is $20-30 a month and more resale value
Thank you everyone for your feedback. It is truly appreciated! I was debating between the 17 Pathfinder and the 16/17 Durango and your feedback has swayed me to the Durango. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brilliant ideas discussed over here. I should have seen this before. Recently my brother and his family went for a trip with our 2014 Dodge Durango and our 201 Maverick DV. Now what he did was, he loaded all his boating amenities on the Durango with his family and hired a boat transport service of a certain shipping company. If I would have read this earlier, then I could have saved his money by asking him to tow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just sold my 2013 Pathfinder and bought a 2017 Durango Citadel with the V8. That CVT in the Pathfinder really had me concerned. You made a good choice!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess a durango will be ok, but it also depends on the dimensions and the weight of the boat. I guess you can take even the V6 3.6l for a smaller boat. But in the case it weights more, then you actually need a bigger enigne i guess. I had a R/T durango from 2013 with the 5.7 hemi engine, and it actually carried my older boat with ease. I mean, my boat had something around 1500 killos. I got it from a yacht rentals company, they had also fishing boats and not only. So i guess the durango can actually be a good solution.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The V-6 with factory tow will be fine. As your daily driver you will enjoy the fuel savings and regular gas even when towing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts