Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,167 Posts
Why?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,167 Posts
But why bother going beyond the Dodge oil change recommendations? They determine them for reasons other than filter life.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Don:
Welcome to DDN. Is there an issue you are trying to cure here, or just looking for something to do? I have been a pretty regular member here since '04, and have yet to see anyone complain that the oem sized filter, or an equivalent, was not up to the job. The oem 090 filter, which fits the Gen 1 and Gen 2 4.7l engine, seems to work fine. Walmart has them for $7 all day long.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Ok:
How long of an interval are you looking for, and how many miles do you drive in a given year? You should be able to go 5-6K on an oil change, as long as you run a good quality filter, and oil. I guess you could remote mount such a large filter, but I don't see that fitting into the allotted space where the oem unit goes. You might fit an PH8/FL1A sized filter in there, without too much problem, but I have not done it myself.

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Read the other post. There is another asking about longer oil filters. I have two cases of hi cap GM filters left over from my Chevelle days and wanted to use them.
Ok:
How long of an interval are you looking for, and how many miles do you drive in a given year? You should be able to go 5-6K on an oil change, as long as you run a good quality filter, and oil. I guess you could remote mount such a large filter, but I don't see that fitting into the allotted space where the oem unit goes. You might fit an PH8/FL1A sized filter in there, without too much problem, but I have not done it myself.

Extending the interval of oil changes is not what I am looking for. I am looking for additional cooling and cleaner oil. The adaptor base I am making will have machined cooling fins and I have plenty of room for a high capacity filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok:

Don

Extending the interval of oil changes is not what I am looking for. I am looking for additional cooling and cleaner oil. The adaptor base, I am making will have machined cooling fins and I have plenty of room for a high capacity filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Extending the interval of oil changes is not what I am looking for. I am looking for additional cooling and cleaner oil. The adaptor base I am making will have machined cooling fins and I have plenty of room for a high capacity filter.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Don:
So, you have found one or two posts on the topic. How I WISH I could say the same, for the V6 to V8 swap question.
You have answered your own question. I imagine you can figure a way to use them., or maybe find them a new home with a GM buddy who can easily put them to use. Do you really expect to gain that much, by going to the trouble of making them work, vs buying a $7 filter? Don't get me wrong here. I enjoy a good challenge as much as anyone. I just don't see a benefit, beyond making use of these filters just because they are on hand. I don't know how old you are, but at 55, I would rather drive the car, than wrangle with making another oil filter work.

Don

Reactions: Tin Foil Hat
1 - 12 of 12 Posts