Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally purchased my tank as a safe winter vehicle when moving to the Rockies a few years ago. Last winter i flipped it 2.5 times on some black ice into a snow embankment. The damage was shockingly minimal, 2 new front fenders, a drivers door, and a piece of glass and I was back in business.

Problem is....I changed the drivers door but not the lock, left it for a few weeks and now the battery is dead. I never realized this thing only has a single keyhole in the driver door for access and now I am completely locked out. I have failed with the slim jim I had, so now im thinking my best bet is to get the hood latch popped via grill access.

Can anyone explain to me which part of the mechanism i need to be moving? If I had a detailed top view of the thing I could probably figure it out but as of right now I am a bit stuck.

Can anyone give me pointers or an idea about how I can get this thing open to charge the battery?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not sure on the Durango but typically the starter motor has a hot lead that goes either directly or indirectly (but still electrically the same) to the + terminal on the battery. You might be able to use a jumper box or even a battery charger or cables to get some juice in there, enough to pop the locks with the fob anyway. Just make sure to ohm out the connection to the ground to make certain you're connecting to the + terminal and not another ground.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi fanatic26 - something similar happened to me and my 2007 Aspen. I was able to use one of those inflatable bladders wedged between the top of the door and body to open it up a bit. Then, was able to lasso the door lock with a piece of string attached to a rod and pull it open. A little tedious, but it worked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts