Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,176 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 15 R/T, my wife likes it better than her 2016 CTS as far as ride goes, but its not without its faults.
If we're talking about fault tolerance equating to love, then I doubt anyone loves their D more than I love mine! It's put me through almost $3k of 'tough love' over the past 6 months, yet I just can't bring myself to parting with it. The wife is even pushing me vigorously to let it go, but I just can't do it!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Perspective: Our 2017 Mercedes GLC43 about $67K has no AC Seats, Fake Pleather/Suede, Seats 5 People, Our Transmission blew within the first 800 miles was in the shop for 2 months, hard to use infotainment system, no CarPlay. We do love driving it, and it handles like a small sports car, but we need more room - the Durango SRT is actually an upgrade in many many ways from our Mercedes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You know...Blaming the car for its faults its like blaming a spoon on the fat kid! lol

These cars come from factories...factories have people...disgruntled people at times or people where it is their last day there or just got their walking papers. YOU got car that YOU didnt completely check out or understand at the dealership...IMO

I walked away from 2 others before I got mine. Yes its a 70k car...and they have their problems just like every other car out there...some are great with no problems and others are like my EX-Wife (emphasis on EX...I too did not check her out at the dealership before I test drove it). I hope ALL gets better and you understand her more.

Good luck

·
Registered
647 Posts
I too came from the Nissan/Infiniti family & while their cars are not perfect either, they at least had no glaring issues and all the freaking body panels fit correctly.

The fit & finish on my Durango and Hellcat are pretty inexcusable in any price segment these days! Runs & drips in the paint, thin spots & blemishes and horrid body panel alignment (my '16 Mustang GT also suffered these flaws) should really be a thing of the past or at least corrected by plant QC or the dealer before the vehicle is presented to the customer.

Unfortunately, our higher end R/T & SRT models begin life and go thru the same basic assembly as a $25K base model & thus have the same fit & finish that's barely passable on a cheap car and tough to swallow on ones priced @ $50K++ :mad: This is a BIG reason Demons have been so slow getting released as they all go thru an extra QC process to correct the crappy BPA, trim & paint issues before getting shipped.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Dodge just sent me a survey about my Dodge experience so far and I basically gave them my whole list. What was interesting is that the survey asked very specific questions around the "fuel tank filling" experience. So I think they are aware that there is a problem and are probably trying to decide if it is worth fixing and how many owners are complaining about it. So the more owners that report the problem is hopefully the more chance there is that Dodge will do something about it.

I too came from the Nissan/Infiniti family & while their cars are not perfect either, they at least had no glaring issues and all the freaking body panels fit correctly.

The fit & finish on my Durango and Hellcat are pretty inexcusable in any price segment these days! Runs & drips in the paint, thin spots & blemishes and horrid body panel alignment (my '16 Mustang GT also suffered these flaws) should really be a thing of the past or at least corrected by plant QC or the dealer before the vehicle is presented to the customer.

Unfortunately, our higher end R/T & SRT models begin life and go thru the same basic assembly as a $25K base model & thus have the same fit & finish that's barely passable on a cheap car and tough to swallow on ones priced @ $50K++ :mad: This is a BIG reason Demons have been so slow getting released as they all go thru an extra QC process to correct the crappy BPA, trim & paint issues before getting shipped.
I will say I have owned an Infiniti as well and it's fit and finish were as close to perfect as it gets. That car was wonderful, the only thing that convinced me to trade it in was the GTR. It sounds like your paint and body alignment issues are worse than mine, fortunately I only have the one paint issue in the rear quarter panel, although I will admit the doors feel paper thin when opening and closing them but I've convinced myself that's to save weight vs a reflection on quality. My GTR on the other hand is a bit rough around the edges, the dash squeaks and the transmission is pretty rough but still worth every penny in my opinion, also since this is my second GTR (I leased the first one) I knew what to expect going into it and it was still worth it to me.

At the end of the day I am glad I am leasing my DDSRT, if the problems start to outweigh the joy of driving it, I can just walk away.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I haven't had any trouble filling up my DDSRT (1800 miles so far) but I also have an Infiniti M45 Sport which has caused me to leave a few gas stations.... I always attributed it to the pump. It is beautifully built however which is why it's still here in the garage (DDSRT has no fit/finish issues either luckily). I have not gotten a survey yet but if I do I will be sure to list every little thing I can find so its in the system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dodge just sent me a survey about my Dodge experience so far and I basically gave them my whole list. What was interesting is that the survey asked very specific questions around the "fuel tank filling" experience. So I think they are aware that there is a problem and are probably trying to decide if it is worth fixing and how many owners are complaining about it. So the more owners that report the problem is hopefully the more chance there is that Dodge will do something about it.
how long ago did you get your durango? i havent received a survey yet. i got one when i got my scat pack, ram 1500, and hellcat and i submitted all those back to dodge. i even got welcome letters/packets after each purchase with a keychain. i havent gotten anything from dodge since i got my durango in january.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I haven't had any trouble filling up my DDSRT (1800 miles so far) but I also have an Infiniti M45 Sport which has caused me to leave a few gas stations.... I always attributed it to the pump. It is beautifully built however which is why it's still here in the garage (DDSRT has no fit/finish issues either luckily). I have not gotten a survey yet but if I do I will be sure to list every little thing I can find so its in the system.
My M45S did occasionally have an issue, but it was so isolated I chalked it up to the particular pump I was at.

I got one of those surveys & detailed all the issues I was having with my D, it even asked for contact info but no one ever called or wrote to me about having the items addressed !

Reactions: hermajesty71

·
Registered
67 Posts
My M45S did occasionally have an issue, but it was so isolated I chalked it up to the particular pump I was at.

I got one of those surveys & detailed all the issues I was having with my D, it even asked for contact info but no one ever called or wrote to me about having the items addressed !
I need to fill out the survey....no major issues, have the occasional gas pump issue at certain stations. Biggest gripe so far is the severe road rash in the protective film along both rear wheels by the doors......see pic... Unknown.jpeg Only 1700 miles on the car since October......would mud flaps help or is this a problem because the wheels are so wide that they will always pepper that area of the car??

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have 500 miles on my DDSRT and here are the things I noticed so far:

1) I also have the fuel tank issue where the pump constantly stops so I have to turn the nozzle sideways to fill up. Good thing I read this thread before I got the truck because when I first picked it up I said to the dealer there was only 3/4 tank of gas and they said they filled it up until it automatically stopped. They gave me the gas card to fill it up and sure enough it wouldn’t fill up any further until I turned the nozzle sideways.

2) I also have a couple paint issues but nothing significant, just not what I would expect for a $70k vehicle. On my driver’s side rear bumper behind the rear tire there is like a tape line near the corner where the inside bumper cover makes the turn to where the side part of the rear bumper starts. It’s not like that on the passenger side. Also, on the roof there are a couple big dirt particles under the paint. Again not a big deal but not what I would expect for $70k. All panel gaps look pretty good though compared to what I have read.

3) Dashboard above the speedometer wasn’t screwed. I was driving yesterday and I saw the top of my dash peeing up from the gauge cluster so I looked and when I touched it the screw in the middle fell out. Luckily I had a torx socket that fit so I screwed it back in but it was like it was never screwed in.

All in all so far I love the truck.Yes there are some nit picks like only being allowed to move forward with preset radio stations from behind the steering wheel but not backward and a few other things, but overall I’m pretty happy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I loved my new Durango SRT until recently. Well I guess I still like but, the suspension seems to have a mind of its own. Hit the start button and the suspension rides likes its on 4 telephone poles. Park it and then hit the start button again and it rides like its on clouds. Every start cycle is different. To try to get it to ride soft, I turn off the SRT and take the keys with me for a minute or two outside the vehicle then start it again. Sometines it seems to work other times not. Basically when the SRT is started you don't know what type of ride you are going to get, hard or soft.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I loved my new Durango SRT until recently. Well I guess I still like but, the suspension seems to have a mind of its own. Hit the start button and the suspension rides likes its on 4 telephone poles. Park it and then hit the start button again and it rides like its on clouds. Every start cycle is different. To try to get it to ride soft, I turn off the SRT and take the keys with me for a minute or two outside the vehicle then start it again. Sometines it seems to work other times not. Basically when the SRT is started you don't know what type of ride you are going to get, hard or soft.
Are you able manually change your suspension stiffness or it just stays the same?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I can still change the settings when its not right, but it just gets harder when set to sport or track. When set on the street setting its very noticeable when it rides hard. Its also a very noticeable difference when it rides soft (its a great cloud-like ride) Anyone know where the suspension control module is located?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
I finally got it in to the dealership at 4500 miles, my list has grown and I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to make it to the end of my lease, all minor problems but I truly do not have time for a finicky vehicle. I work 80-90hrs a week and expect only two trips to the dealership a year and that's for oil changes, I simply do not have time for a vehicle like this. So here is my updated list:

1) UConnect Weather Alerts - They cover the entire screen, are extremely annoying and the worst part is when you are using the navigation, trying to figure out your next turn, and the weather alert pops up for some lake wind advisory from a lake 50 miles away. There was no way I could find in the menu system to turn it off, and I read plenty of threads online from others that could not turn it off. The dealer reports that it will be fixed when I pick it up from them, I think they had to do an update to the UConnect system.

2) Fuel Filling Problem - After my negative survey I got a call from Chrysler Corporate and the lady hinted that this is a widespread known problem but since it is not a safety issue that they will not issue a recall. Apparently a recall or TSB would be more expensive than fixing the ones that complain the loudest. She told me to make sure to tell the dealership when I dropped it off that I had reported it to Corporate and for them to give her a call so that she can tell them what to replace. She mentioned there are 3 different parts that are known to cause this issue. The DDSRT is at the dealership now, I just got off the phone with them, they said they will replace the fuel filler tube but it is on back order and could be up to 6 months before it is fixed. I asked why don't they at least order all 3 parts and the service advisor said they have to start with the filler tube first.

3) Paint Issue - The Service Advisor said the body shop had not gotten back with her on whether they have even admitted there is a problem yet and even if there is a problem I would have to pick it up and schedule an appointment with the body shop.

4) Center Screen - The center screen sometimes does not shut off when the car shuts off, the back light will stay on and there is no way to shut it off. When it does this, it also does not dim when the headlights come on. I took a video of the problem and sent it to the Service Advisor yet she told me since they cannot recreate the problem there is nothing they can do. It only happens about once a week or so which is why I took the video in the first place.

So anyway, needless to say, I'm having a pretty horrible customer service experience so far. I'm not even going to mention the absolutely disgusting loaner car (spilled milk, trash in the back seat, crumbs on the front seat) I got stuck with or the fact that it took almost 2 days of waiting to even get the loaner car. The truck is still fun to drive and suits my needs perfectly, if I can just get these things small things fixed with no major problems until the end of my lease I'll actually start enjoying it again.

·
Super Moderator
5,176 Posts
The weather alerts would be OK, but they are mostly not relevant, and in one case, we got an Aviation Alert, which I cannot fathom why. Your DDSRT is different from our Pacifica but the systems are very similar.

You've been patient so far, and willing to accept these warts as long as they can be fixed, which is more than I can say for a lot of people. Hang in there and hopefully this is a decent dealer that will square you up for the long haul.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The weather alerts would be OK, but they are mostly not relevant, and in one case, we got an Aviation Alert, which I cannot fathom why. Your DDSRT is different from our Pacifica but the systems are very similar.

You've been patient so far, and willing to accept these warts as long as they can be fixed, which is more than I can say for a lot of people. Hang in there and hopefully this is a decent dealer that will square you up for the long haul.
Thanks, I actually do not mind the weather alerts, my problem is that they cover the entire screen. There should be an option for them to just be a little flag or small icon that shows up and when you touch it then it tells you the alert, or even have them fade away to a small flag after 5 seconds or so. There are just so many better ways they could have implemented that feature. Unfortunately patience is all I can have, I don't really have any other recourse that is not expensive. Plus this is the first time I have actually told the dealership there is a problem so in all fairness I should at least give them a chance before considering other options. Even if they offered to take it back tomorrow I would have the same problem I had when I got it; there aren't too many other good looking performance SUVs to pick from at the moment.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I've seen the weather alerts on mine...but very infrequently and they disappear quickly...or maybe I make them.
Either way a non-issue on mine, but that would drive me crazy if I had a lot of them and they took up the whole screen.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I've seen the weather alerts on mine...but very infrequently and they disappear quickly...or maybe I make them.
Either way a non-issue on mine, but that would drive me crazy if I had a lot of them and they took up the whole screen.
Well I'm in FL and surrounded by water and unpredictable weather so I have gotten up to 6+ a day at times (its not even hurricane season yet), sometimes even the same one over and over. Most are completely irrelevant to me such as boat advisories, or smoke warnings for some lake 50 miles away. I thought they would be easy to turn off so I googled it, and apparently no one had an answer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well I'm in FL and surrounded by water and unpredictable weather so I have gotten up to 6+ a day at times (its not even hurricane season yet), sometimes even the same one over and over. Most are completely irrelevant to me such as boat advisories, or smoke warnings for some lake 50 miles away. I thought they would be easy to turn off so I googled it, and apparently no one had an answer.
Same thing with me, I am in NJ and I get notifications for counties at least 20~30 miles away from my location, so for now I just live with it. I hope an update will allow the driver to disable the alerts somehow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
New DSRT is on order, but I would like to touch on the refueling issue. I had an older Durango that had a similar issue...but it also would burp out a pint or so of gas when full, no matter how slowly you ran it in. I did some research and found many reports in the NHTSA website where they collect data to see if a recall is in order. Apparently, dealers offered a "silent recall"...if you knew it was a wide ranging issue and pointed that out to the dealer, you got a free tank replacement (I did)...apparently the tank was not supported well enough and it would crush the breather tube. They claimed to have never heard of the issue, but replaced my tank anyway, free of charge though it was outside warranty.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts