Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have these symptoms? It’s not a loud or jarring sound but noticeable when backing up. It comes from the rear. Any ideas?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Check the spare tire cable for slack, allowing the spare to move around. That one got me PERSONALLY. It was my wife who suggested I look at the spare -- she won lunch. A month or two before the symptom surfaced, I installed a trailer wiring harness & hitch receiver. When I raised the spare back up to dock it, I apparently had slack someplace on the cable spool. After driving for a while, the weight of the tire must've removed that slack, and it stared thumping as you described.

If no joy, jack each back wheel off the ground (one side is good), and manually rock the tire back and forth to see if something is loose on that side. Then, drop and check the other side. It my be loose lug nuts, hub bolts, or even gear in the rear end with 'slop' in it.
While you have it up on one side, You might try grabbing the driveshaft and trying to rotate it back and forth. It should have ZERO 'play' when you do. If it does, the driveshaft has bad U-joints.
If still no joy, grab the strut on that side and aggressively wiggle it. It might be a bad strut bushing, or bad (broken) strut.
Try to wiggle the brake calipers too... May be loose?
Can't think of any more off-hand, but it's a process of elimination here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So, I have had this problem a couple times. Today my wife said it happened when she as backing out and a friends car was close by. We were thinking it’s the parking system telling us we were too close to the other car. I was able to recreate this when backing up today. It does not want to hit anything

·
Registered
664 Posts
So, I have had this problem a couple times. Today my wife said it happened when she as backing out and a friends car was close by. We were thinking it’s the parking system telling us we were too close to the other car. I was able to recreate this when backing up today. It does not want to hit anything
I don't understand your post. You hear a thud/clunk from the parking system?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't understand your post. You hear a thud/clunk from the parking system?
Sorry. Was distracted last night while typing up that other post. It seems that the parking system will slam on the brakes while backing up if you get too close to an object. My experience with it was while moving probably at a speed it did not like while approaching the object behind me, and slammed on the brakes. Have had this happen a total of 4 times between me and my wife, and every time there was something close to the back of the car, and it came to a stop.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Anybody have these symptoms? It’s not a loud or jarring sound but noticeable when backing up. It comes from the rear. Any ideas?
Have a clunk every now and then. Reproduced it for the dealer and they said it’s the driveshaft. Dodge will not replace it until it happens more frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still no idea what it is. It still does it with no other issue. I haven’t been to the dealer with it yet I just haven’t had time to leave it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This issue sounds like something I'd experienced in my work truck (a 2015 Durango SSV). Mine almost always did it during the reversing part of a 3-point turn and happened more often when the reversing part of that turn had me going to the right. I took it to the Ram dealer that services our work trucks and they claim they were unable to duplicate the issue, so I drove it another 5k miles until it needed service again. At that interval, I took it to the Ford dealer that we use and they kept it for a couple days. When I received the truck back, they said they replaced the brake pads. I thought they were "full of it" (thinking the brake pads were the issue) but I've driven it another 5k + without the symptoms returning.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update on my 2019 SRT. As I thought, the tech said he could not replicate the noise that I was experiencing. As such, my service adviser was kind enough to do a ride-along with me in my truck to listen to the issue as I pointed it out.

We drove around the lot in mine, and were able to replicate the "thud" sound that I was hearing. He also let me drive another brand new 2019 SRT around the lot to attempt to replicate the noise that mine was making, which we were not able to do in the exact same circumstances.

He agreed that the noise was uncommon and concerning, and advised that I bring my truck in sometime this week so that their shop foreman can hear the noise as well and to gather diagnostics to send off to SRT to see how to proceed. I'll provide an update once I have time away from work to take the truck in.

·
Registered
95 Posts
**Following.... I also have the "thud sound" when in reverse. My nephew whos a mechanic was like it may be drivetrain slack with or something to do with the limited slip dif.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts