Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve bought two lift kits for my Durango which is a 2wd neither were able to fit, one was spacers and shackles and the other was torsion keys and shackles but I believe the keys were meant for a 4wd. but I had my mechanic shop apply the spacers and shackles and they said they can put them on but it would cause a lot of problems and advised me not to put it on, they showed all the reasons to my grandfather so I don’t have all the details, anyone have any kits that would no doubt fit or just some advice to put some inches on my Durango?Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gen 1 2wd Durangos have coil springs in front so spacers for the front and new shackles in the back is the way to get a lift, not torsion bar keys. Try Supreme Suspensions - they have a good selection.

Not sure what issues your mechanic said your Durango would have. I have a 2 inch lift on my 4WD Durango, and many Durangos have lifts. If the lift is about 2" should be okay. Higher than that requires a lot more changes to work.

Find a new mechanic to install the lift or do it yourself. You will need an front alignment either way and you may need extended length shocks. You can put a bigger tire on also to get additional lift.

A lift and the bigger tires may increase wear on the front suspension. You will also need to check tightness on the bolts maybe twice per year - I find they can come a bit loose after a lift or maybe that comes from the offroad driving.

With 2WD, consider getting a locker or LSD for the rear axle so you have some traction.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gen 1 2wd Durangos have coil springs in front so spacers for the front and new shackles in the back is the way to get a lift, not torsion bar keys. Try Supreme Suspensions - they have a good selection.

Not sure what issues your mechanic said your Durango would have. I have a 2 inch lift on my 4WD Durango, and many Durangos have lifts. If the lift is about 2" should be okay. Higher than that requires a lot more changes to work.

Find a new mechanic to install the lift or do it yourself. You will need an front alignment either way and you may need extended length shocks. You can put a bigger tire on also to get additional lift.

A lift and the bigger tires may increase wear on the front suspension. You will also need to check tightness on the bolts maybe twice per year - I find they can come a bit loose after a lift or maybe that comes from the offroad driving.

With 2WD, consider getting a locker or LSD for the rear axle so you have some traction.

Ok thank you, I can’t remember everything my mechanic said all I remember was that it would damage something If put on. Ive seen other lift kits online besides the keys and spacers and it’s just a whole lot of tiny parts and pieces and was curious about that one. Just trying to make my rango level lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maybe the issue was the lift kits that you bought. Don't buy from Ebay or Amazon. Buy from a real vendor, for example either Supreme Suspensions or ATS Springs. They will stand by what they sell as fitting your vehicle and you can call and speak with them. They also have leveling kits if that is what you want.

Maybe yopur mechanic was saying that you need to replace some suspension parts, like leaf springs, shocks, etc. Not a bad idea if those haven't been replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts