Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 2014 I purchased the Chrysler Lifetime Warranty for my Citadel from Clay Robbins out of Zeller Motors. I am now looking to buy a new Dodge Ram. It appears that Clay is no longer at that dealership as my e-mail to him was kicked back. Anybody know where he went or where I can get a ripping deal on a Lifetime Warranty? Thanks and Happy Holidays!!

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Durango Limited V-6 / AWD
1,080 Posts
They still offer the Lifetime service contracts. Not on Hellcats or diesels however, that is what they stopped offering.
From the top of the link you posted:

Even though New Lifetime Maximum Care Plans are not available beginning December 1, 2018, Lifetime contracts currently in effect before that date will be honored throughout the lifetime of your vehicle to the original purchaser(s) at any authorized Mopar dealership.

You can't get one on anything anymore, but if you already have one, it is still valid. That's why I said I was going to keep my Durango forever.

·
Registered
223 Posts
One can then ask oneself why? Too many claims making them losing $$$, and yes I will keep mine forever too :) which was the reason for paying the high premium for the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I believe the caveat on the Lifetime Warranty is once the repair exceeds the value of the vehicle, FCA can decide to just pay you back the cost of the warranty and cancel it.
So once you have a couple hundred thousand miles on it..or its around 10yrs old and the trans or engine fail...odds are its not going to get replaced under the warranty.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I believe the caveat on the Lifetime Warranty is once the repair exceeds the value of the vehicle, FCA can decide to just pay you back the cost of the warranty and cancel it.
So once you have a couple hundred thousand miles on it..or its around 10yrs old and the trans or engine fail...odds are its not going to get replaced under the warranty.
From the first page of my Lifetime MaxCare service contract.
"The maximum benefit amount should a covered component of the vehicle fail will be the total cost of the repairs per visit less the deductible, or the cash value of the vehicle, whichever is less."
It goes on to say the value will be determined by the average retail value in the current NADA used car pricing guide.

I don't have this contract on my Durango because I never intended to keep it long.
The contract I have is for my wife's 2015 Chrysler 200, with the famous 9 speed trans. I was skeptical of that and all the electronics on these new cars.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Yes, that's the clause...and then it says once it reaches that point, where the repair exceeds the cash value of the vehicle, your coverage is cancelled.
I passed too as I put a lot of miles on my vehicles and I'm in an area with mild temps and smooth roads...but was concerned on how the electronics will hold up. So far, so good after 5 yrs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That’s incorrect, FCA pays you the value of the vehicle, not the cost of the service contract.

Example: if an engine costs $7,500 and value is $5,000 they cut you a check for $5k, not the $2,500 originally paid for coverage.

NADA retail on a loaded 2011 Citadel 5.7 AWD with 200k miles is $12,275 right now. So there is an excellent chance of getting expensive repairs covered a decade from now.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
NADA retail on a loaded 2011 Citadel 5.7 AWD with 200k miles is $12,275 right now. So there is an excellent chance of getting expensive repairs covered a decade from now.
Well I guess it will come down to how they determine value. BTW, I show a Average retail of $11,300 for my zip code and the only one I found one close has 198,000 and asking price is $9,875...so I question whether FCA is going to value a '11 w/200K at $12K. Regardless, even if we take your number having run 2 vehicles past 300,000 miles, and 4 past 200,000...engines were not an issue and neither were the transmissions. Accessories are the problem, waterpumps, radiator, alternator, ac compressor, seat heater, seat materials, radio, sensors, suspension parts. That's more what you can expect to fail...and most of those don't start until close to 200,000 or after.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
In any of these warranties, it also comes down to whether you are going to do the work or pay someone. I do most of my work, so in my case they don't make sense. The lifetime is the only one IMO that made sense or I would say was by far the best value in an extended warranty.
I would not even consider any of the other offerings they now have.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well I guess it will come down to how they determine value
Filtru103 posted the contract wording stating it’s value is determined by NADA retail.

engines were not an issue and neither were the transmissions
I simply used the example you gave

So once you have a couple hundred thousand miles on it..or its around 10yrs old and the trans or engine fail..
I agree that it’ll likely nickel and dime with various issues

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
In any of these warranties, it also comes down to whether you are going to do the work or pay someone. I do most of my work, so in my case they don't make sense. The lifetime is the only one IMO that made sense or I would say was by far the best value in an extended warranty.
I would not even consider any of the other offerings they now have.
Absolutely not for everyone. The new 7-year unlimited miles are going for almost the same price as the Lifetime was, except FCA is likely to make more money on them. I wouldn’t get any of the current plans either.

I would’ve been hesitant to pay full MSRP on the Lifetime (which was around $4,500) but at around $2,500 that dealers like Robbins were selling them for, it’s a no brainer.

Also, it looks like you didn’t select any options on NADA, which is why yours showed $11,300. The tow package, RES and 5.7 add $975

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
All a mute point as Lifetime is no longer offered....which is too bad as I thought it was an excellent value tool that FCA could sell to customers. I don't believe anyone else offered such a warranty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts