Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey newbie to the forum here. I have a 14 R/T that I brought home in October. I noticed a month ago that one of the license plate lights was out. Upon closer inspection, there was moisture in the LED housing. I look it out and let it dry out, hoping for it to come back to life. Needless to say, that didn't happen. Now I have two questions. I have not seen any other mentioned of this on forum, but has anyone else seen this? Next question, since moisture got into this little sealed light, should this be a dealer fix? I have poked around the web and can't even locate a replacement part for it.

I was planning to ask the dealer to replace, but wanted to get everyone's thoughts about this being a reasonable request. I am still not sure how the moisture got up there (car wash, normal snow, rain spray) but there didn't seem to be any additional moisture when I removed the LED housing to check it.

Thanks and let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I have a 2014 SXT and my tag light also went out. I took it to the dealer and they installed a new one without question. They had to order it and it took a few days for it to come in and now the brand new one has condensation inside of it too. Dealer states they have had several come in recently and will prob issue a recall soon. Good thing is it IS covered under factory warranty.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Funny thing is I read this post while at work, walked to my car after work and checked...sure enough I have a license plate bulb out and the one that was working had condensation in it. Called the dealership and the parts department argued with me that it was an LED bulb and said it was a 921 bulb. Looked in the manual and sure enough it's an LED (I believed you guys because 99% of the time forums have better info than dealerships) and of course the dealership was closed when I called back.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Update, I stopped up at the dealership yesterday to pick up the bulb and they wanted to charge me $36 for it, after some discussion they agreed to cover it under warranty but said they would have to install it themselves for it to be covered and it was almost closing time. I pointed out that the other bulb that was still working looked like it had some moisture in it but they thought it would be OK. Brought it in today and they replaced the one bulb only to find the other one that was working was out. When they removed that one it was almost completely filled with water. so that was not just moisture I saw, but standing water. Funny thing is it hasn't rained here in about 5 days and I keep my vehicle in a garage at home and a parking garage at work so it must have been in there for almost a week. I did take the car to a car wash last week which may be where the water came from, but regardless its a sealed bulb unit so it shouldn't allow water to enter it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well..... I just got my D back from the dealer today after getting the axles replaced. My wife and I were out this evening, hit the remote to open the tail gate and noticed the tag bulb (right side) was out with moisture inside smh. Call to the dealer in the morning.

One question , any Dodge dealer should handle this warranty claim correct?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Smells like recall to me...
Should be.

Called a dealer today and the part is on back order....... Really getting tired of the issues im having with this new Durango (axles, alignment, tag bulb) what else? I have owned my D for about 3 weeks. 11 days total of actually having possession of it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Do you really think that gas is greener when you go with any other brand? They ALL have issues some are more or less. I owned 7 new cars in the past 10 years and they all had issues and I had to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do you really think that gas is greener when you go with any other brand? They ALL have issues some are more or less. I owned 7 new cars in the past 10 years and they all had issues and I had to take it to the dealer.
Well that's great, I've owned 17 in 11 years and I have never had problems from day 1.

Still love the my Durango though

·
Registered
337 Posts
17 new cars in 11 years? That's like 2 cars per year! Wow! Must be luck. I've never owned a car new or used that I didn't have some sort of issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Now my replacement LED has water in it as well. It's still working but probably not for long. Once I get another one, replaced under warranty of course I am going to put silicone around the housing to fix the problem myself.

BOOYA!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Add me to this list as well. Just noticed tonight that I have water/moisture in one of my license plate lights. Good news is I already have an appointment at the dealer for them to reflash my Drivers Assistance System Module. They can knock it out then.

Brent

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to bump an older thread, but I have the same problem. Do you guys have a part number for the replacement part? I would rather pay a bit out of pocket and not have to go to the dealer. It seems like none of the major Dodge online suppliers have their 2014 catalogs online so I cant search for it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I can get a part number for you on Friday, the service order from when mine were replaced is in my glove box and my Durango is at Corsa. Worse case scenario, you can call my dealer who services mine and ask them for the part number...it's Tomko Chrysler in Avon Lake Ohio. I doubt you will find the part from anywhere other than a dealer though...my dealer had a hard time finding it too and assumed it was the standard bulb until they looked at it and they had none in stock but were able to get them next day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
had 1 out on my 14 DD, they're ordering the replacement, will get it installed next week, funny thing is, when I stopped by the dealer parts, they gave me a single bulb for $2, said that is what the picture shows, then I got home, read all the posts about this issue, realized you can't just replace the bulb as it is a sealed LED unit that gets pulled out of the space and replaced with a new unit, not sure what the first parts guy was looking at to give me the bulb, called back this am, they're ordering the unit, gotta luv it

·
Registered
184 Posts
As of last night I too have joined the right side tag light out club... ROFL... WTF... I'm still waiting on the replacment hatch handle. Oh well back to the stealership.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts