Dodge Durango Forum banner

141 - 160 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use gorilla double sided sticky tape and put it under the AC controls by the power outlet. It stays there for a while.
View attachment 99286
View attachment 99288
Looking forward to adding a pic of my new-to-me 2017 Citadel Platinum hemi towing my 2015 Coachmen Clipper 17bh.
I’m quite intimidated by the set-up procedures for my basic tekonsha brake controller and eq2 hitch. The dealer where I bought the trailer took care of setting up the 4runner. Where and how did y’all attach the brake controller? One pic looked like it was velcro’d on? That would be nice because the thought of drilling in to my new vehicle makes me just a wee bit queasy!
I hope to pick up the car on Friday and do the setup on Saturday, so any hints/tips/pics/links are appreciated!
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Cool.
That Citadel seems to have quite a bit of R/T blacktop package trim pieces and wheels on her.
It seems confused on who it wants to be...LOL!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cool.
That Citadel seems to have quite a bit of R/T blacktop package trim pieces and wheels on her.
It seems confused on who it wants to be...LOL!
Yea, I’m not sure why it has the black front grill. It has the platinum appearance package that includes the satin carbon wheels and a bunch of other stuff, but the platinums I’ve seen in pics still have the silver grill. I like it though, looks more badass than luxury ��
The first owners may have added it on or ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a '14 Citadel RWD HEMI with tow package.

I just finished a family road tour with our Shadow Crusier 280QBS. We did Estes Park, CO, then Tetons/Yellowstone, and Mount Rushmore. I went to a CAT scale the first morning of our trip (fully loaded) and the trailer weight was around 6800lbs (Trailer Axle was 6080). The vehicle weight on the two axles was 6880 lbs. . Our total GCW with the wife, 4 kids, fully fueled, trailer and cargo was 12,960 lbs.

I know we were over the 740 lbs tongue weight, but under the 7400 lbs tow rating, 7100 GVWR, and 13,100 GCWR. Although we were close to max recommended capacity the Durango pulled very well through the mountains. The picture is at the north entrance at Yellowstone (Mammoth Springs).

IMG_5452.jpg

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Gorgeous picture! That's a handful to tow, glad it performed well. Your Citadel is same as mine though mine's a '15, and I find it tows amazingly well. I know some people feel the hemi is old tech but it's a really capable tow drivetrain with the 8 speed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a '14 Citadel RWD HEMI with tow package.

I just finished a family road tour with our Shadow Crusier 280QBS. We did Estes Park, CO, then Tetons/Yellowstone, and Mount Rushmore. I went to a CAT scale the first morning of our trip (fully loaded) and the trailer weight was around 6800lbs (Trailer Axle was 6080). The vehicle weight on the two axles was 6880 lbs. . Our total GCW with the wife, 4 kids, fully fueled, trailer and cargo was 12,960 lbs.

I know we were over the 740 lbs tongue weight, but under the 7400 lbs tow rating, 7100 GVWR, and 13,100 GCWR. Although we were close to max recommended capacity the Durango pulled very well through the mountains. The picture is at the north entrance at Yellowstone (Mammoth Springs).

View attachment 99782
What is your tongue weight? We are picking up our trailer tomorrow and the trailer dry weight is 4960 but the tongue weight is listed at 790. It’s a V nose trailer with the kitchen in the V. I’m a little concerned about it. I have the HEMI, but I’m AWD so I have a limit of 720

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is your tongue weight? We are picking up our trailer tomorrow and the trailer dry weight is 4960 but the tongue weight is listed at 790. It’s a V nose trailer with the kitchen in the V. I’m a little concerned about it. I have the HEMI, but I’m AWD so I have a limit of 720
Measuring with a CAT scale - the difference on the rear axle trailer and no trailer was 800 lbs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I suggest getting a sway control stabilizer bar setup. I also had to add the trailer brake controller, super easy, there is already a wire harness for it, you just buy the controller and the connector wire harness. I have a 2016 Durango R/T with the tow package so it has the hydraulic suspension. The stabilizer bar makes a huge difference. When your on the freeway going 60-65 and people blow by you and when your in heavy winds. I never had an issue with my other vehicle towing without the stabilizer setup but the Durango really benefits from it. To explain how it feels when you install it, it is like you are one big long vehicle with your trailer. When you don't have it the trailer can sway back and forth independently from the vehicle and make things feel uncomfortable in heavy winds, wind gusts or when being passed by another vehicle. The freeway is where I noticed the issue when being overtaken by another car in the lane beside you, the air the other car is pushing hit the trailer first and whipped it over then when you feel the tug of the trailer the air from the passing car hits your vehicle, so the that combined with the trailer getting push over really feels uncomfortable to you behind the wheel. I don't have any issue with that now. I have also driven in really band winds and it wasn't really bad at all. Plenty of power with the HEMI. We are coming up on our second year of ownership and still love the Durango. This is what I have towed so far:

Cruiser RV - Shadow Cruiser S20HS
Jayco 23BHM
SeaDoo Challenger 1800
Yup, the sway is felt even more in a Durango due to it being a unibody and not a body on frame. Unlike a truck, Trailer input is felt more pronounced because its fed directly to the Durango’s structure. As you guys are showing, the Durango is a great tower, when equipped properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been lurking in this forum for most of this year. Totalled my wifes Caravan right after Christmas, so we were looking for a new family car for her. A lot of research and test drives settled us on a Durango. Pickup up a used 2015 Citidel Hemi in Feb. The Hemi was a priority since we were planning a camper trip to Yellowstone this year. Pickup up this camper in April, did a couple local camping trips to get use to the tow, and work out any bugs.

The Durango did great. Over 6k miles in two weeks, maxed out, actually a touch over at 13,280 gross. I set the camper up with a Hensley Arrow hitch, which I attribute to the totally benign manners of the camper. Got 8.5mpg average while towing.

QFtcRYRRIsGTupxxog7ix5i0tVSA0oHQWmY_Dw-XkYqn1DO1KveTdEmKbqTL0mF9ZJROhjLZDAcW0zKVXCtN_YXxoMtLsCtd.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been lurking in this forum for most of this year. Totalled my wifes Caravan right after Christmas, so we were looking for a new family car for her. A lot of research and test drives settled us on a Durango. Pickup up a used 2015 Citidel Hemi in Feb. The Hemi was a priority since we were planning a camper trip to Yellowstone this year. Pickup up this camper in April, did a couple local camping trips to get use to the tow, and work out any bugs.

The Durango did great. Over 6k miles in two weeks, maxed out, actually a touch over at 13,280 gross. I set the camper up with a Hensley Arrow hitch, which I attribute to the totally benign manners of the camper. Got 8.5mpg average while towing.

View attachment 104818
Good size trailer, how long is it? Just got our Durango with the tow package and definitely hoping to have it hooked up to a trailer for next years camping

141 - 160 of 195 Posts