Dodge Durango Forum banner
121 - 140 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just noticed that a few of you have the clip on side mirrors, but most of you have just the stock side mirrors. I don't see how any of you could tow a travel or cargo trailer with just the stock mirrors. With the side mirrors that clip on to the stock mirrors I still couldn't see the back corners of the travel trailer. I was never real happy driving with them and backing up was a real pain. So I ended up getting a set of these mirrors that you can get out quite a bit further and they work much better.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/CIPA-11650-Deluxe-Door-Mount-Mirror/17805958

·
Registered
15 Posts
Firestorm, the first trip was just to a rural town in Southern Ontario using main roads. We just got back from the Letchworth state park camping, but we stopped off Walmart and Rochester for an overnighter.

The Durango RT pulled better this time with some more weight in the back. I should get it measured for balanced (see photo). I may add some more weight distribution leverage with the l bracket settings.

Currently I was confident driving. When I needed to drive 115 Kph, I was fine. The V8 was a good investment!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Greetings. Brand new to the forum and pleased to see your set-up. I'm ready to place my order for a new '18 RT after putting a deposit on a new 24' travel trailer. I'll be using a W/D hitch with sway bars but wondering how you like the rear load levelling in conjunction with your set up?
Just an FYI on the rear load leveling when you setup your weight distribution hitch. I use an E2 WDH, and setup instructions said to disable self leveling function. I called Fastaway because the self leveling on the D can't be turned off. The tech told me they have had the best luck bringing the front fender measurement back to or slightly under the orig height for those kinds of vehicles. Manual indicates to bring front measurement 1/2 way back to original. Every WDH setup will be different, but wanted to mention that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Recently purchased a 17 R/T and installed the OEM hitch receiver as truck was prewired and equipped with all required towing features (heavy duty engine cooling, leveling suspension etc) . Just got back from a weekend towing our Rockwood Roo 23RS. Tows really well! Very pleased and much smoother than my old 2007 Durango Limited. Video tutorial here I put together for those interested in installing OEM hitch receiver to a prewired unit:

https://youtu.be/_rT-dssqXtw

·
Registered
169 Posts
First tow. 12' (I think) enclosed trailer. Couple short trips across town. Used to towing with my truck but it was on another trailer. Unloaded some hitch noise (to be expected with unibody) but loaded felt very stable. Effortless pulling away from a stop even with the gear ratio disadvantage and larger tires (credit the 8sp). Makes me excited to upgrade my truck to a 3.92 with 8 speed. Was concerned with bottoming out but the "load leveling" worked really well. Plus i don't think i had that much tongue weight with tandem axles.
View attachment 97874
View attachment 97882

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just got back from a 4000 mile trip towing the trailer to the Grand Canyon and back. Average was 10.8 MPG. Could have used a little more power on I-70 through Vail pass and the Eisenhower tunnel areas (7% grade @ 10,000 foot and 6% grade @ 11,000 foot). Over all towed well. This was the first long trip with the 2016 towing. Glad we upgraded from the 3.6L to the 5.7L.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
drdiaboloco - Im about to purchase a Shadow Crusier 280QBS (Quad Bunk). I have a 2014 Durango RWD HEMI and TOW package. How has your Durango handled the Fun Finder trailer? Have you towed through any mountains and any recommendations on WDH and Sway control hitch?

·
Registered
17 Posts
F0DC88F7-D559-46D9-AF09-F324062DE2CD.jpeg
79BC0D72-32AB-427F-A929-17DB6E1132BB.jpeg
Looking forward to adding a pic of my new-to-me 2017 Citadel Platinum hemi towing my 2015 Coachmen Clipper 17bh.
I’m quite intimidated by the set-up procedures for my basic tekonsha brake controller and eq2 hitch. The dealer where I bought the trailer took care of setting up the 4runner. Where and how did y’all attach the brake controller? One pic looked like it was velcro’d on? That would be nice because the thought of drilling in to my new vehicle makes me just a wee bit queasy!
I hope to pick up the car on Friday and do the setup on Saturday, so any hints/tips/pics/links are appreciated!

121 - 140 of 197 Posts