Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has tried LEDs for headlight bulb replacement.

I went with these... 9012 LED Headlight Kit | 9012 LED Upgrade

Problem I'm running into is that they worked at first when I tested them. But, after I buttoned everything up they stopped working. I checked fuses and connections and everything looked good. So I put one halogen back in and still nothing. So I put both halogen back in cycled the ignition and they fired up.

So, I'm wondering if the LED headlights aren't drawing enough current causing the CANBUS to shut power off to the bulbs????

I don't know... I do have some antiflicker capacitors I'm going to try tomorrow. Then maybe a relay harness.

Has anyone ran into this HID or anyone try LED headlight bulbs yet?

·
Registered
928 Posts
I haven't heard anyone say they've had good results when trying to put something like that in headlights. They just don't reflect properly to put out the light needed to see at night. Sure they are bright, there's no disputing that, but when the light is scattering everywhere and not going where you need it to go to see, its useless and dangerous.

I would recommend HIDs. Do a quick search and you'll see several of us have put in HIDs with success.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Those led kits are junk and are usually dimmer than the regular halogen bulbs. Return them while you still can. If you must, a 35w hid setup would work well in your projectors.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From experience I've had good results with led headlights before along with friends of mine. They are brighter than halogen but not quite as bright as HID.

But I normally use them because there is less issues with ballasts and bulbs going bad.

I tried HID on the Durango first with the same issue. Thats why I went with the LED. I figured it was the ballast not getting enough power and didn't want to wire relays and what not. But I'm still having the same issue.

So that's why I'm asking what you all added to make the HIDs work.... relays, capacitors?

·
Registered
928 Posts
From experience I've had good results with led headlights before along with friends of mine. They are brighter than halogen but not quite as bright as HID.

But I normally use them because there is less issues with ballasts and bulbs going bad.

I tried HID on the Durango first with the same issue. Thats why I went with the LED. I figured it was the ballast not getting enough power and didn't want to wire relays and what not. But I'm still having the same issue.

So that's why I'm asking what you all added to make the HIDs work.... relays, capacitors?
I put in a relay harness and capacitor, as well as canbus cancellers.

See post #6: http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/durango-discussions-2014/18062-2014-durango-sxt-hid.html

·
Registered
928 Posts
The cancellers are capacitors so you shouldn't need both.

But I guess I'm ordering some relays
You'll need a capacitor on the relay, or the canbus system will cause it to buzz. The cancellers (Capacitors / canbus ballasts) are still required or they won't work properly (Cause flickering etc).

In my case, the cancellers (Capacitors) worked fine with the ballasts and bulbs plugging directly into factory bulb sockets. Until it got cold, then there wasn't enough power to get them to ignite properly. That's when I had to add the harness with relay. After doing that, the relay was buzzing terribly, so I added in another capacitor to smooth it out and its been working great for a few months now.

If its not in the link I posted, its in another somewhere in the forum where I talked about the issues as they came up and how I fixed them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those led kits are junk and are usually dimmer than the regular halogen bulbs. Return them while you still can. If you must, a 35w hid setup would work well in your projectors.
I have to disagree. I got these $50 9012s from Fahren, and as you can see the driver's side, with it installed is significantly brighter than the right. Later, when I drove, to check alignment, it was obviously brighter.
The big problem (and I'm guessing this is a CAN bus issue) is either one or both (!) headlights go dark for about 10 seconds every 4 or 5 minutes and there was a strange message about automatic transmission autocorrection activated.
Fahren wants me to buy a CAN bus adapter and I have to look and see if it's worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fahren's "
Xtremevision CanBus Decoder for LED Headlights - LED Resistor - CanBus Error Eliminator - Anti Flicker Capacitor - 9006, 9005, 9012, H10-1 Pair
were less than $15. I'm giving the a chance.

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
655 Posts
I installed LED headlights, turn signals, and fog lights on my 2017 GT (originally equipped with halogens) without any issue or the need of any anti flicker/resistor modules.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I have to disagree. I got these $50 9012s from Fahren, and as you can see the driver's side, with it installed is significantly brighter than the right. Later, when I drove, to check alignment, it was obviously brighter.
The big problem (and I'm guessing this is a CAN bus issue) is either one or both (!) headlights go dark for about 10 seconds every 4 or 5 minutes and there was a strange message about automatic transmission autocorrection activated.
Fahren wants me to buy a CAN bus adapter and I have to look and see if it's worth it.
While you still need to be careful to get a decent beam pattern and not create glare, leds have changed drastically in the past 7 years. Next time maybe you should pay attention to the age of information before making an ass of yourself.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,558 Posts
My butt hurts!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello
the best solution is to replace the lenses in the headlight with LED projectors (retrofit) . Then we get a strong white light .
Replacing the bulbs themselves with Led bulbs will not help ( maybe a little ) .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts