Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the LED conversion kit on their Durango? I have been checking them out on E-Bay and there seems to be a lot of differences. The main issues seem to be whether or not you need the adapter for canbus and light flickering and how bright the lights really are over stock. I currently use the Sylvania Silver Star bulbs but I seem to have one blow out yearly and for the price of a two pack the LED lights are being advertised with many having 3 year warranties. So I am wondering if anyone has tried them and their results.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
LED headlight bulbs are awful. Headlights are actually very highly engineered pieces of equipment. The optics of your headlights cannot properly focus the light where you actually need it when you use the wrong bulb.

Those "BRIGHTER THAN HID! 80 WATTS AND 8,000 lumens!!!" led bulbs are nothing but false advertising. They're at absolute most around 1800-2000 lumens. All of them. Most are god awful and actually dimmer than the normal halogen though. The reason people *think* they're brighter is because they tend to create a lot of foreground light (light on the ground right in front of the vehicle) with absolutely no distance.

An 5500k hid bulb puts out about 3,400 lumens, a 6,000k led puts out at most 2,000 lumens with no distance lighting which is actually quite dangerous, especially if you have large animals like deer around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
LED headlight bulbs are awful. Headlights are actually very highly engineered pieces of equipment. The optics of your headlights cannot properly focus the light where you actually need it when you use the wrong bulb.

Those "BRIGHTER THAN HID! 80 WATTS AND 8,000 lumens!!!" led bulbs are nothing but false advertising. They're at absolute most around 1800-2000 lumens. All of them. Most are god awful and actually dimmer than the normal halogen though. The reason people *think* they're brighter is because they tend to create a lot of foreground light (light on the ground right in front of the vehicle) with absolutely no distance.

An 5500k hid bulb puts out about 3,400 lumens, a 6,000k led puts out at most 2,000 lumens with no distance lighting which is actually quite dangerous, especially if you have large animals like deer around.

I'm not going to try and argue your numbers above, because I'm just not knowledgeable enough on the specifics to do so. But I can say, having gone from halogen, to HID, to LED in my 13' Ram 1500, the light output from a visual standpoint is far and away better with LED's than the previous. Doesn't matter if we are talking close by or long distance, line of sight was much improved in my experience. I also didn't buy random LEDs off of ebay, but a higher end Philips kit

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Skippy, bottom comparison isn't marked.... assuming HID is on top?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Skippy, bottom comparison isn't marked.... assuming HID is on top?
Ah yes sorry... same exact projector in both, just changed the bulb... hid in top led in bottom. You can see how the optics of the projector can't focus the light from the led properly.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Was this your test? Or results you found... curious on the bulbs used too (both HID and LED)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Was this your test? Or results you found... curious on the bulbs used too (both HID and LED)
Pulled them from the Headlight Junkies Facebook page. But they're another level of crazy, they take their headlights very very seriously.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Skippy, I have been doing some more research and I kind of see your point on the 80 watt and 8k lumens. The most expensive and high quality kits all have bulbs that size or smaller. But I have halogen bulbs. Which we all know are yellow and dim. There has to be something that I can do for brighter lights that last more than a year.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Skippy, I have been doing some more research and I kind of see your point on the 80 watt and 8k lumens. The most expensive and high quality kits all have bulbs that size or smaller. But I have halogen bulbs. Which we all know are yellow and dim. There has to be something that I can do for brighter lights that last more than a year.
A good retrofit will give you the best possible light output. It would be bi-xenon HID's with no glare, just awesome light output

·
Registered
199 Posts
IMO, HID are top notch, but not all lenses are made to handle them. LEDs seem brighter because of more short distance light, but also they have more of an intense color. I personally prefer the yellow halogens because the high temp color of upgraded bulbs is really hard on my eyes when driving in rain or snow at night.

Higher output bulbs like Silverstar will wear out sooner because they run hotter. If you look on the package, standard bulbs are rated for between 400 and 800 hours of use and the Silverstars are good for only about 150-300 hours. Also, the voltage that your alternator puts out will also change the brightness of your lights; and therefore, the lifespan. In my 2002 Lesabre, the alternator tested at 15.0V and I end up replacing the bulbs every 6 months. My Rango charges at 14.0 volts, and the bulbs last me 2 years. I use standard brightness Philips bulbs on both vehicles, but the Rango has a dual filiment bulb and the lesabre uses a set of 9006 and 9005 bulbs for high and low respectively.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have LED headlights and I like them personally . No issues here but I bought super nice ones and watched a review on youtube that they tested lots of brands and companies.

·
Registered
199 Posts
For the time, I ended up installing a 22 inch light bar on my bumper to help spot deer. But it is too intense for even the slightest snowfall. Can anyone give a recommendation for better bulbs during winter without so much snowfall glare?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts