Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Durango... but I hate my Durango.

After years of dealing with the leaking racetrack light (I'm on my 4th one now) and fogging headlights... now in the last month I've had water enter the sunroof 4 times during rainstorms.

I don't THINK that it's clogged drain tubes in that if it was the tubes I believe that I'd have water along the sides of the sunroof and below the sunshade, which I don't. The water seems to enter at the rear of the sunroof and travel forward on top of the sunshade (I park on a slight downhill slant) then it collects in the handle of the sunroof shade where it pools and drips down into the cabin.

The front of the sunroof is forward of the sunshade and even moreso than the sunshade handle so being that it's parked on a downhill slope, water CAN'T move backwards to the handle.

After a storm I can feel that the soft pads on the rear frame that make contact with the glass are wet. I can't seem to see how any water that gets into the sunroof is SUPPOSED to be channeled away to the sides to the tubes.
I have done the sunroof recalibration a few times to no avail.

I do wonder about the gap in the sunroof seal as pictured.

Any ideas?

Water Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Upon further examination I see how the water is SUPPOSED to travel along the rear frame to the sides and off to the drain tubes. On the rear frame are 3 soft pads (one in the center and one on each corner). The center pad is wet as mentioned previously.
That center pad when the sunroof is closed is forward (albeit not by much) of the seal but in line with where the gap is. I'd be surprised to find that enough water can get past that / be wicked over on top of the sunshade, but there doesn't seem to be any other avenue to get to the sunshade handle.
The pic is of the point of contact of the mentioned pad to the bottom of the sunroof.
Automotive tire Hood Grille Rectangle Bumper

·
Registered
52 Posts
my guess about the gap you see in your first pic is because the seal isn't really connected to begin with, and over time the rubber has shrunk.

i don't think the channels are really meant to take on the full force of rain, just anything that might get past the seal. kind of like a bilge pump isn't supposed to be operating in a boat all the time, and if it is that means you have a genuine leak somewhere

unfortunately, unless i see something firsthand i can't really be of great help. if it were me i would look to see if i could replace that gasket myself and how much it would cost.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the problem has (probably) been located and rectified. Hopefully this may help others with the same problem. My theory;

In the 2nd pic posted you can see a small 1x2" piece of material (similar to the "loop" side of velcro). That material lines up on the forward side of the rear water trough and directly forward of the gap in the sunroof glass gasket. Now while the gap probably shouldn't be so large, due to the design there will always be a gap of some form there.

At any rate, the material, combined with the gap, combined with a series of torrential rain falls lately, was putting enough water into the trough that the material was wicking it up and over the short shelf of the trough and dropping it onto the top of the sunshade. The water trickled forward (the D is parked on a slight down angle) to the handle of the sunshade. It would pool there and drip down into the coin holder area of my centre console.

We had another rain storm last night. This morning there was water in my coin holder. The material in question was sopping wet (so much so that when I tore it off and threw it outside, it went "splat" on the driveway.

I just spent about 15 minutes with my hose on the stream setting and hamming straight down along the gasket all around the sunroof and especially where the gap in the gasket is... no water seems to be coming in (and I was able to confirm that my front drain tubes work as they were evacuating behind the front tires.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i know for a fact that rams have (or had) an issue with water coming in the driver's side A pillar. two different rams of mine had the same problem, but only during a torrential rain. i really have no clue what the shop did on either vehicle but the first time i went in it was fixed.

the biggest problem with leaks is that no matter where the leak is happening on the inside there is ABSOLUTELY no indication that the actual problem is anywhere near that. you could have water dripping on the passenger seat but the leak is coming from the rear driver's side C pillar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts