Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else run into this problem? Our 2002 Durango 4.7L has a key issue, where the key will pull out of the start cylinder at the "ACC" setting, thereby leaving the vehicle ON, which drains the battery. Can't tell if the cylinder is just badly worn and needs to be replaced, or if the electronic switches inside the cylinder are bad, or both.
Interested to hear from anyone else who has experienced this, thanks

· Registered
2021 Durango SRT, 2017 Chrysler 300S 5.7
405 Posts
It could be either a worn key or the wafers inside the mechanical switch are worn , or a combination of both.....I would have a local locksmith try to decode the key to factory specs and cut a new one, then see if it still pulls out of the ignition. If so, the ignition needs to be re-keyed as well....

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be either a worn key or the wafers inside the mechanical switch are worn , or a combination of both.....I would have a local locksmith try to decode the key to factory specs and cut a new one, then see if it still pulls out of the ignition. If so, the ignition needs to be re-keyed as well....
Yeah, thank you, that’s what I’m worried about. I suppose it’s not too big of a job for a shop

· Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,967 Posts
We should all post our professions, current and past, so folks know who to ask and who to trust with answers. It should be part of the signature or such which, I know, most people don't bother with.

Reactions: Ike03

· Super Moderator
13,220 Posts
If the key pulls out in the wrong position, that sounds like an issue with the lock mechanism and not the electrical switches. IMHO.

Reactions: Moose135 and Ike03

· Registered
1999 Patriot Blue 5.9 SLT Beauty
34 Posts
Anyone else run into this problem? Our 2002 Durango 4.7L has a key issue, where the key will pull out of the start cylinder at the "ACC" setting, thereby leaving the vehicle ON, which drains the battery. Can't tell if the cylinder is just badly worn and needs to be replaced, or if the electronic switches inside the cylinder are bad, or both.
Interested to hear from anyone else who has experienced this, thanks
I've found that the key used most often does wear eventually and will become "loose" in the cylinder. Do you have a spare and does it do the same thing?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've found that the key used most often does wear eventually and will become "loose" in the cylinder. Do you have a spare and does it do the same thing?
The 2002 Durango came with 186,000 miles, one old worn key, no remote beep-beep thing, one key entry on the driver's side that almost requires upper body leverage to turn, and the power locks do not work when the battery is run down. We are happy with the vehicle because it runs well, and it seems to have a lot of promise, it's just going to need some TLC to bring it up to day to day reliability. What I am hearing from you guys, thank you very much, is that a locksmith needs to look at this. Whatever electrical issues are surfacing are probably a result of the key cylinder not working, due to normal wear.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the key pulls out in the wrong position, that sounds like an issue with the lock mechanism and not the electrical switches. IMHO.
You are correct, except when the key comes out in the wrong position, the driver thinks the vehicle is OFF and the key says the vehicle is in ACC. This results in a driver walking away and thinking the vehicle is totally shut down, only to return later or the next morning and find that the battery is completely dead

· Registered
1999 Patriot Blue 5.9 SLT Beauty
34 Posts
You are correct, except when the key comes out in the wrong position, the driver thinks the vehicle is OFF and the key says the vehicle is in ACC. This results in a driver walking away and thinking the vehicle is totally shut down, only to return later or the next morning and find that the battery is completely dead
A cheap fix would be putting a battery isolation switch in. They used to be common back in the day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts