Dodge Durango Forum banner
781 - 800 of 814 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I found an article that stated they were building more Hellcats from July until November and that dealers were getting additional allocations. Some of these were to account for the previously "sold" orders that weren't filled, but the statements were definitive in that they were restricted to that extreme of a degree.

Supposedly I can still order one from the dealer, they want $5k over MSRP.
I know of a Granite HC Durango being built this month and selling at msrp in NC. If you’re interested I can pass you the info.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Quick q as I just picked mine up today.

I have two red keys. Don't hellcats come with one red key and one black valet key?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Some of these were to account for the previously "sold" orders that weren't filled, but the statements were definitive in that they were restricted to that extreme of a degree.
Just noticed when BrakeFade quoted me that I was missing a few letters in my original message. I meant to say the article and the statements attributed to Dodge were weren't definitive in that the new allocations were restricted specifically to only originally sold orders. The statements were more along the lines that the additional allocations were going to cover the original orders, but not that those were the only ones.

Anyway, Stellantis' eMuscle presentation scared the hell out of me, so I'm definitely going to move my ass to grab a Supercharged V8 while I still can. Already so disappointed in my twin turbo 6, I can't imagine going full electric. There's far more involved in driving than statistics.

·
Registered
128 Posts
In response to some of the questions I wanted to repost this write-up I did a few weeks ago on the Facebook pages. It gives a big chunk of the history from launch to now. The only bad thing is that since I wrote this there is talk of even more rolling shutdowns due to parts shortages. Those with orders need to be REALLY patient as we navigate this still far from normal time.

I took the time to draft this response to a comment and wanted to share an edited version with a broader audience as there is still some frustration out there regarding how Dodge has handled the DDHC release and subsequent deliveries. I don't work for Dodge or Stellantis but I do work for a large equipment manufacturer and COVID and the pandemic has and continues to wreak havoc on the manufacturing process and it is far from being normalized. The last 15 months have put a ton of stress on the supply and logistics chains and this played into the decisions Dodge made regarding the DDHC in my opinion. Here is a summary from launch to now.
We live in a free country and anyone has every right to be upset about being told one thing and then Dodge doing another, but you can't lose sight of what has taken place since July 2020 when the DDHC was announced formally.
1. At the time of launch Dodge had a build out plan for JNAP which saw production ending in July such that the plant could be retooled to launch a new platform. This plan only allowed for a certain number of Hellcats to be built in amongst the existing model mix. Hence the rough early estimate of 2,000.
2. Hellcat engines are low volume and need to be allocated far in advance. Don't forget at the same press conference Dodge also launched the Charger Hellcat Redeye and the Challenger Super Stock, which would add more Hellcat engine demand.
3. Dodge had no idea what the pandemic would do to supply and demand. At the time of launch the US was already 3 months into the pandemic and everyone was freaking out looking for toilet paper and sanitizer. Suppliers and factories were shut down as everyone stayed home.
4. Order board opened November 6, 2020 such that Dodge could gauge initial interest and start slotting orders as received for a production start in early 2021. Pandemic still on-going.
5. Order board closed on January 21, 2021. Even at that time Dodge had NOT received 2,000 "sold" orders. They had to take the balance of the 2,000 production slots and allocate them to dealers to complete the build out.
6. Production starts on February 4, 2021. In that press release Dodge mentions "approximately 2,000 DDHCs will be built." Pandemic still on-going.
7. April 2021 - Dodge announces that they will build more than 2,000 to honor existing sold orders in the system that weren't accepted as part of the initial 2,000 (mostly entered by dealers which didn't have allocations to begin with). Dodge is starting to realize demand is higher than the initial forecast. Pandemic is still on-going
8. Early May 20201 - Pandemic impacts still being felt during 1Q2021 - Brampton, Ontario plant (Charger, Challenger, 300) is temporarily shut down due to supply shortages which frees up Hellcat engines. Hellcat engines are reallocated to JNAP for DDHCs. JNAP adjusts build schedule and delays retooling of the factory which frees up more production spots for Durango. Dodge announces an additional 1,000 DDHCs will be allocated and built (200 per month for July-Nov) as they continue to see interest generated by first deliveries taking place, their media blitz with pre-production DDHCs and dealers that received initial orders without allocations. JNAP reduces shifts due to supply shortages through the end of May. Stripes put on constraint due to backlog in the system. In-Violet added as a orderable color (it was on the initial press release) Pandemic still on-going
9. June 2021 - Production and deliveries continue. DDHCs selling for over MSRP due to low overall production volume, pandemic starting to subside and more folks willing to fork out ~$90k for a 710-hp, 3-row SUV. No one knows how many will be built. More folks climb out from under rocks to realize Dodge is building a Hellcat Durango and want one and try to order one. (I still don't think all 1,000 additional allocations are spoken for). Production challenges exist as manufacturing tries to rebound but Tier 2 suppliers can't obtain their own material (semiconductors, non-metallic resin, etc.) Transportation delays still exist at the ports (offloading ships) and domestically with semi trailer driver availability. Dodge seems to be prioritizing DDHC builds due sheer profit margin each one produces.
What also made many upset is the fact that Dodge does not produce orders in which they were received. Nothing has changed from that standpoint. A dealer stock order and a sold order are treated the same. Right or wrong it is what it is. Stripes are not done in-house and it adds time post-assembly. Dodge has adjusted to this by not allowing stripes on most of the recent orders placed.
Bottom line this will be a limited vehicle, it was never sequenced like the Demon, but it is still a Dodge (not a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Corvette, etc.) The market will decide what happens after production stops in November. Right now the market is hot. If any of you are unhappy with Dodge's desire to make money during a very difficult time and the fact that they underestimated demand and the pandemic has forced them to adjust facility retooling plans and production as a result there are plenty of folks out there that will buy Durango Hellcats for MSRP or above and you won't have to worry about depreciation because Tim Kuniskis or Dodge may have mislead to you about only 2,000 units being built.
I have been blown away by the number of uneducated folks (buyers and dealers alike) that plunked down money to buy one of these beasts without knowing very much about them. That's not my style, but I don't have that amount of free cash burning a hole in my pocket. When the Durango SRT came out in 2017, I had to have one (I had a JGCSRT at the time and wanted the third row without losing performance) and I knew Dodge would eventually put a Hellcat engine in it, but it was just a matter of time. So here we are... Dodge gave us diehards what we wanted in a time where electric vehicles are becoming the norm.
Be happy with what you have. The DDHC is awesome. I love mine, but I bought mine to make me happy. Not to resell for profit and I could care less how many Dodge ends up making, but I hope it is around 3,000 as I am tired of tracking them all.
One final thing. COVID infection rates may be decreasing but the impacts on mass assembly are still very much an issue. The workforce numbers are reduced, Tier 2 and Tier 3 suppliers are still trying to get back to pre-pandemic normals and transportation is horrific (both on water and on land). The fact that Stellantis continues to churn out high margin vehicles (DDHC, TRX, Jeep Wrangler 392, SRTs, etc) is impressive considering all the headwinds. The companies that maximize profit during this tough time are the ones that have adjusted accordingly. Hats off to Dodge for wanting to make money by selling what people want.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Clark W Grizzwold? I love Christmas Vacation. I watch it multiple times every year during the holidays.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Clark W Grizzwold? I love Christmas Vacation. I watch it multiple times every year during the holidays.
Yeah, first name is Clark, have had the Grizzwold (my spelling) or Grizz nickname since middle school hoops. I uphold the tradition during the holidays with my exterior light display and we watch the movie every Christmas Eve.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Just got mine back from ppf+ceramic+windshield +tint. Never had this before, and it is liberating to know the paint is protected and can just rinse off.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just got mine back from ppf+ceramic+windshield +tint. Never had this before, and it is liberating to know the paint is protected and can just rinse off.
It's mind blowing. I am with you. First time I have put that much extra into a vehicle I have owned. Manual car washes are fun! Of course I had to buy a foam canon and everything else, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Although I enjoyed the SRT for 3 years, the HC engine in this SUV really amps up the fun.I have been using sport mode now after 300 miles and dipping into throttle...this engine is so alive/more fury/the whine is higher pitched and really cool.120 happens real fast.Perfect match for this old heavy platform.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hell Yeah! I'm happy to hear that the insurance company made you whole and you were able to order a new one. Congrats! It killed me to read what happened to you. So glad to see you are getting back into a hellcat.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
200 Posts
Get yourself a CAI, it’ll make the supercharger scream more and will easily become addictive!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just placed my order, after failing to come to an agreement at another dealership on Saturday, I mass contacted all of the dealers that popped up from the Affiliate website. Offers to place my order came in from $5k-$13k over MSRP. One dealership told me they weren't placing any more orders but had two on the way, and a few dealers still haven't been able to get back to me with a concrete price from my build summary.

I placed my order at MSRP and there is now a $395 charge for Octane Red, by the way.

None of them told me that order banks were closed, I'm not sure exactly why the one dealership wouldn't place a new order. They've had a number of them move through their website though, so I don't know if Stellantis actually capped individual dealership order amounts?

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
200 Posts
What are your IATs like compared to stock with the Legmaker?
I’m seeing 30-60° above outdoor temps, really depends on how hot/humid from what I’ve noticed. Didn’t pay attention to stock, so I can’t give you a good comparison.

None of them told me that order banks were closed, I'm not sure exactly why the one dealership wouldn't place a new order. They've had a number of them move through their website though, so I don't know if Stellantis actually capped individual dealership order amounts?
Order banks aren’t closed as far as I heard. It more or less sounded like they just won’t accept new orders but those dealerships that have allocations can still put in or modify the options for their allocation.

Congrats on ordering one at MSRP though! Lots of dealerships are getting crazy with those prices.

781 - 800 of 814 Posts