Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 19 sxt awd, automatic trans. purchased brand new in may. Since then I've noticed jolting while down shifting, mainly when slowing down to come to a stop. Thought in the beginning that maybe it was part of the breaking in of the vehicle (just a guess being it was my first new durango), but now 6 months later its still doing it. Not every single time, but at least a few times daily. I've read about this issue in older models, and my husband also notices it in his new ram. Wondering if other 2019 durango owners have this issue, or know of any solutions, or is it just a dodge thing? Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry that I can't assist you; but it's not a generic Dodge thing as my R/T V8 with 8 speed tranny shows no such symptoms!

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
JM:
Being a '19 you are under warranty of course. I would make an appointment with your dealer, and then have the tech go with you on the test drive to be sure they can observe the issue. That type of shifting is not normal.

Don

·
Registered
663 Posts
The ZF designed / Chrysler executed 8-spd has been known on occasion to have not the smoothest of 5-4 downshifts or 4-5 upshifts. There are also been some complaints about the 2-1 down shift not be the smoothest either. There are a few threads about both here on the forum. As noted above take it back to the dealership, have the tech ride with you to make sure they fully understand what you are having an issue with and see if they can help with say a re-flash or software update.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I just had a rental '19 GT for a few days and put about 1,000 miles on it. The trans shifted perfect and better than my '14, so there have been improvements in the shifting quality. Zero perception of downshifting, upshifts as well unless I had it floored and then it had crisp upshifts. I wish my '14 ZF8HP70 shifted as well as that V6 GT did.

·
Registered
33 Posts
my 2018 SXT has had a hard downshift since 400 miles. It does it when it downshifts to 5th gear (which happens alot). I have had the dealer look at it twice and they have done zero... I think it just needs a trans reflash.. but wont do it.
I had a 2016 Grand Cherokee and it shifted perfectly, no harshness.
I now also have a 2019 Grand Cherokee and it does not have a harsh downshift.. but does have an audible "whine" when coasting to a stop.. I am not 100% on board with these transmissions.. to inconsistent.

·
Registered
272 Posts
There's another thing more likely to cause harsh shifting. That's the software controlling the transmission.

Got to wonder whether there are updates out there accounting for the differences y'all feeling.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As stated above, take it to the dealer and they’ll take care of ya. Software flash I’m positive of it. I had a ‘14 ram v6 and it HAD the same symptoms you’re describing. Took it in for other recall items and they updated the software...much better and gone from what I remember

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm noticing it mostly from 3rd to 2nd, will take it to the dealer just waiting for an appointment. Hoping that just a software flash/update will do the trick if available. Thanks y'all

·
Registered
191 Posts
The ZF designed / Chrysler executed 8-spd has been known on occasion to have not the smoothest of 5-4 downshifts or 4-5 upshifts. There are also been some complaints about the 2-1 down shift not be the smoothest either. There are a few threads about both here on the forum. As noted above take it back to the dealership, have the tech ride with you to make sure they fully understand what you are having an issue with and see if they can help with say a re-flash or software update.
The 5-4 and 2-1 still have not been fixed. In fact IMO latest software made 5-4 much worse on mine ('15 RT, 47k miles, have even had transmission replaced).

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Well I'm glad then I have a ZF built 8HP70 and not FCA built. However, my recent rental '19 V6 GT w/15K miles on it shifted better than my Hemi ZF. So maybe they've worked out the issues?

·
Registered
89 Posts
When my '17 RT went in for warranty on the taillights, I told the dealer about my occasional hard downshift when exiting the highway with light brake application.
I asked for a reflash if an update was available but absolutely did NOT want a relearn. I want a fix.
Something was done because the shifts are smoother all round now. It will take time before I can say that the harsh (and seemingly late) downshift from 5-4 is cured, however, because it ocurred twice a year...

·
Registered
120 Posts
The 5-4 and 2-1 still have not been fixed. In fact IMO latest software made 5-4 much worse on mine ('15 RT, 47k miles, have even had transmission replaced).
When I had mine in for the reflash over the summer, the dealership noticed that it was worse after the flash until they did a drive learn adaptation procedure. Since then it's been perfect.

Here's what the notes said:
Updated TCM module to latest software per TSB 21-013-19 P#68249346AE/AF
LOP 18-19-05-LH .2 Test drove vehicle. Shifting became worse. Reset adaptives and performed quicklearn. Shifting was still harsh during 5-4 downshift. Performed ETC Learn and found Star Case S1421000017. Performed drive learn adaptation procedure TSB 21-030-14. Drove vehicle 20 miles. Set counters above 2 vehicle shifts are good. No further concerns found.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts