Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a box for the storage spot. It's pretty shallow so not easy to fit subs, and I didn't want to spend basically 2x as much for same power handling on low-profile subs, so I figured I could dangle with the angle and figure something out to fit a pair of 12" JL W3v3s. This is what I came up with:

Rectangle Toy Font Circle Triangle

It will fit in the storage area, the round piece in the front should fit nicely against the trim. The third row seating is at the same angle and locks fully in the upright position.

Further it will fit the subs nicely:
Rectangle Slope Font Magenta Parallel

I wasn't too concerned about matching the internal volume to the subs, but luckily this geometry ends up giving 2.25 cubic feet of air space - perfect.

Not too many crazy angles that I need a CNC router - a table saw, jig saw, and a router with a circle jig should suffice. I hope.

So, to the hardware store I go for some MDF, check my angles, make my straight cuts, use a careful hand with a jigsaw on the side pieces, and time to mock it up:

Wheel Tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Amazingly all my cuts lined up without any gaps. I disassembled it and re-mocked it up again in the car to ensure it all fit.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Trunk Vehicle door Wood

Looks good! I transferred the curve of the trim to the piece of wood and cut it out with a jig saw and liberal amount of sanding, and glued it all up.

Wood Tire Automotive design Table Automotive exterior

And in the car it goes:

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper

Subs come Wednesday, so I plan on finishing it up then, provided the weather isn't nasty. I'll cut the speaker holes, finish the glue up, seal it, get it wrapped with matching carpet, and figure out a place to mount the amps, maybe put in an internal brace depending on how strong the front baffle feels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks really good and you nailed those angles. Only thing I would recommend is adding a second top piece for the speakers and cut the hole out bigger than the subs so they sit recessed in to the box top. This way you can also add some heavy duty speaker grills without the subs hitting the grills. You know, just in case you need to toss a bag of groceries in the back. If you haven't glued it together yet and you have the speaker space inside the box, you can even add the second layer underneath what you have now. Having them recessed in to the box looks very nice as well.
Thanks! Yep, I've got a second baffle cut and modeled out, though I also have JL grilles on the way which will protect them without needing to be recessed. The double baffle, if I do one, will be for rigidity.

Will this box be sealed as it’s being shown in the drawing? Or a port of some kind? Looks good by the way!
This one is sealed, 2.25 cubic feet of airspace. For ported, I'd need a lot more airspace, meaning a lot more room taken up in the back of the truck. Sealed may not bump as hard, but it will have a flatter response curve for SQ.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I actually prefer the sound of a sealed enclosure over a ported one. And like you said, less space needed.
Yeah, ditto, at least in a car. Maybe for home theater where there is more room a ported sub and box can really shine. I did play with some ported designs, but it'd take up a lot more room in the back. If one were willing to do this in a JGC or remove the third row seat, I bet something clever could be done there.

I'm going to curse you when you drive within 1/4 mile of my house or near me in traffic. Whatever happened to just listening to rock and roll on good speakers?
Wow, is this your thing? You derive satisfaction from going on forums where people are showing their hard work and you shit all over it your worthless comments? This is an electronics and audio forum, I'm guessing you're the kind of person who would walk into a Starbucks shop and then complain that it smells like coffee? All right then, two things...

One, this is an SQ set up, meant for sound quality. The stock system is crap, the stock subwoofer is in a flexible plastic box that sounds like garbage. Even at full volume, with the windows up you will not hear this system unless you're standing right next to the car. A 1/4 mile away? This isn't a quad 15" 5000w setup meant for blowing eardrums and winning SPL contests, it's barely doubling the power that's already back there.

Two, unless you can rub your two brain cells together hard enough and come up with something constructive to contribute, how about you fuck off right back to facebook, karen.

Any thought on putting in a divider between the two subs? I’ve always had issues with the subs fighting each other if they are sharing the same space.
Good thinking, but since I'll be running these in parallel with only a single amp, they should hit at exactly the same time and not fight with each other.

That being said, I may still add something in the middle for brace, after cutting the speaker holes there isn't much wood left over, even with a double baffle:

Wood Automotive exterior Audio equipment Auto part Plywood

I did cut the holes in the baffle even though the subs haven't arrived, a little boredom yesterday. But, I have all the measurements required, so I'm confident they'll fit. And, if not, I haven't glued the front baffle yet, I could always cut a new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I’m assuming you are using 3/4” MDF? I’ve got a shallow mount JL 12 in just a regular box and it’s taking up to much space. Curious to see how this turns out and sounds.
Yeah, 3/4" MDF. The angle should help avoid any reflection cancellation, so I hope for a clean soundstage without having to up the EQ. I have the Harmon Kardon factory system, and the mids and highs are decent enough, though the eq settings in UConnect are a little off. Fortunately, the PAC adapter for amps allows adjusting the frequency and Q factor of each of the sliders, so I'm hoping I can squeek the best quality out of them I can without resorting to more equipment.

I got that one installed behind the screen last night, but now I'm trying to figure out where to mount the amp. I'm wondering if I can utilize the area under the driver's seat for this.

I dont' see how you think I'm "shitting all over" your posts. I simply stated my personal issue with loud booming bass in cars. I didn't know you could do two subs just for sound quality, but you made no mention of why you were doing it to begin with. Since I don't hang with people who do these kind of mods I wouldn't know that two subs can't produce what I regularly hear from the busy streets around me. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings but I am glad that you are not trying to be more thumpier than the next guy. Maybe we all feel the same way about loud systems. There are so many complaints of the sound in the DDs and there have been other threads about larger subs that I truly thought that everyone doing this was going to become a public nuisance with their mods. Again, I'm sorry I offended you and congrats on what is a nicely constructed box.
So why not ask questions instead of being a dick about it? No question, no contribution, you just hop on somebody else's thread to say "you shouldn't do that"? Why even comment at all? It's like if my first reply to your thread was "I'm going to curse you any time you drive around me at night, that brodozer lift is going to blind everybody with your high headlights. Whatever happened to just leaving your suspension alone." when instead I could convey the same sentiment without being rude, "Wow, that looks like a lot of work, nice job! Are you thinking about re-aiming your headlights to avoid blinding oncoming traffic?" Oh, and don't get it twisted, there is no way you could ever "hurt my feeling" - you are just words on a forum, pixels on a screen, not worth any emotional investment whatsoever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts