Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been involved in a lot of home remodeling and I was looking into getting a RAM truck in order to carry granite, kitchens, etc. The granite would be in the bed since it would already be cut to the specification but they are still pretty heavy for a standard kitchen(kitchen I would obviously haul on a trailer no big deal). Is a 1500 capable of doing such jobs? The 2500 with the diesel engine is ****ing sweet but I could settle for a 1500 if the truck can do these type of tasks. Any info would be appreciated. I'm a truck noob and didn't want to create a new profile under a RAM specific forum. So hopefully I get some feedback here.

·
Super Moderator
12,660 Posts
Its all about the weight.

It seems to me that each piece is usually carried by two workers, so that seems to imply a weight/piece under a couple hundred pounds.. (I put silestone in my kitchen, which is slightly lighter than granite.. by about 10% or so..)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I've had a few ram trucks, two 1500's and a 2500 (gas). I hauled a lot of heating and cooling equipment in each of them with no problem at all. The truck has plenty of power, just don't exceed weight as Tom said and you'll be happy. I know I weighed in just under 1k in scrap cast iron in my last 1500 and it didn't phase the truck one bit

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I did the large stone top in my bathroom, my ram did it with no issue, but the stone guy also mention to stand it on it's side during travel, laying it flat with any articulation of truck frame can make the stone break. wasn't going to test the theory, so the slab stood on it side... MAybe why glass trucks have side mounted trays.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes... for short runs of counter top use an A frame Just don't stop short :eek:

Most counter top places Include template delivery and install for about 500 , Or you can have them just deliver and install for 250 check with your local shops. In NY by any chance ?

Wednesday, April 01, 2015.jpg

Not for long pieces

Wednesday, April 01, 2015 (2).jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes... for short runs of counter top use an A frame Just don't stop short :eek:

Most counter top places Include template delivery and install for about 500 , Or you can have them just deliver and install for 250 check with your local shops. In NY by any chance ?

View attachment 21886

Not for long pieces

View attachment 21887

Thanks! This is EXACTLY what I want to do with the granite.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts